Should I get central heating?

I'm currently renovating my 2 bedroom place. It's a unit, not an apartment. It's old (1950's) but in a good part of Melbourne (Malvern).

Although I live in I might sell it in the next few years and need to keep resale value in mind.

I currently have a split system airconditioner in the bedroom that of course doubles as a heater. I also have a very old gas heater in the lounge (as old as the unit).

I'm getting rid of the lounge heater. Here is the question. Should I replace it with a new gas space heater? OR should I get central heating for the whole place.

The price of a space heater with installation will be about 2K. A good 4 star central heating is about $3500 - $4000.

I live by myself, so I'm not fussed either way from a lifestyle point of view.

BUT from a resale point of view, would getting central heating make a big difference to the selling price?

Maybe talk to a local agent. I would imagine that a buyer would find a new $2K space heater in a flat perfectly adequate. I'm not sure the extra $2K for central heating will necessarily be worth it.
Scott

When the bank valuer came last year to revalue the unit, I asked him about renovations. He claimed that because the area was very good, it would be very hard to overcapitalize. Whilst I think that was probably stretching things a bit, I think the nature of the area needs to be kept in minding when renovating.

Hi David

Have you thought of putting in a split system in the living area that way you would be covered for air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter.

I have just done this in one of our units and it cost $1,900 for the unit and installation.

Regards

Trish

Hi David

Have you thought of putting in a split system in the living area that way you would be covered for air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter.

I have just done this in one of our units and it cost $1,900 for the unit and installation.

Regards

Trish
Trish: that would be my first choice. Not only would it double as an aircon, but it would be up high and wouldn't take up potential "furniture space". Unfortunately I have been informed that my power board can't handle another split system. So gas is the only option.

Back