Should I move to the US?

Buy a PPOR there instead of OZ, it seems so much cheaper:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...-york-and-london/story-e6frfku0-1225873141675

Darwin houses more expensive NY, London
Sydney also pricier, demand not going to change
Australia the fastest-growing Western nation

THE average Darwin house is more expensive than its equivalents in London and New York, a comparison of real estate in cities around the world has found.

Combined figures from Residex and Australian Property Monitors show the median cost of a Darwin house is $549,035 - almost $90,000 ahead of London, where the median price for a two to three-bedroom house is $462,000, reported Northern Territory News.

A two-bedroom, free-standing house in the New York City metropolitan area (not including Manhattan) is about $80,000 less.

Residex head of research John Lindeman said: "It's quite incredible that houses are cheaper in those cities than in Sydney.

"But it's caused by the demand for Sydney houses, which keeps outpacing the supply - and that's not going to change any time soon."

In Los Angeles it costs almost $250,000 less than in Sydney to buy a house. The peak US industry body, the National Association of Realtors, puts the median house cost at $401,000.

Las Vegas is even more affordable, with the price of a median house at just $166,000.

Darwin's real-estate market only failed to outstrip the major Canadian city of Vancouver, where the median house price is $612,000.

Mr Lindeman said house prices were driven by population growth, as Australia was the fastest-growing Western nation.

Apples and Oranges. :rolleyes:

I read that article too. Raw purchasing prices mean nothing and even in the context of ratios to earning/wages and other measures can be skewed to the upside or downside depending upon the methodology and the cap that the author wears. ;)

If you wish to live in the US, it appears you will have some bang for your buck.

Do you wish to move merely to have a cheaper PPOR?
Can you work from there, if indeed you work?
If you are financially free, could you handle to the way of life?
You need to have a look for yourself and based on your own reasons, make you decision. See it as an adventure; it doesn;t have to be permanent.

I am not well travelled personally, however read, watch and talk to others a lot. Perhaps ask yourself this question:

What is the price of freedom, clean air, low crime, layback lifestyle and all the other attributes that make our land here the best country in the world, worth to you? :confused:

If it is for investing, that's another story. :)

This is dot point...

I have a friend who sells property in South Fla in the US.

He just emailed me saying theres another round of foreclosures about to hit

I know of 3 bedder houses (nice ones too) which at the peak were over $800k now being sold for @$200k. Obviously lower ones which used to be worth 300k are 10k-40k

Issues they're facing now are growing levels of crime and break and enters.

So dont just look at the percentages but also the social stats

yeah itd be nice to buy a place at their prices, but the downside of buying a PPOR in USA is you have to live in USA...no thanks. and thats why our prices are high.

I have a big tax incentive to go there and I have spent hours looking at US prop sites.

One big neg is that Mrs Fish doesn't want to go there but that is not of interest to you. Another is that I have no idea how to get health insurance and without it, you could blow half a mil on a heart bypass. :eek: The third is that I'm more'n a bit dismissive of all things American. I would likely get shot. :eek::eek:

Of course you can rent a house complete with cook/housekeeper and gardner in (insert your favourite SEAsian country here) even if your only income was an Oz age pension.

"Owning" is a good idea sometimes.

Wow, this wasn't a serious post, just a link to the newscom article, as it was an interesting read.

Interesting idea, but yeh, living in the USA is the main turnoff. Getting a visa would be tricky too.

Some nice points listed here though!!

This is dot point...

I have a friend who sells property in South Fla in the US.

He just emailed me saying theres another round of foreclosures about to hit

I know of 3 bedder houses (nice ones too) which at the peak were over $800k now being sold for @$200k. Obviously lower ones which used to be worth 300k are 10k-40k

Issues they're facing now are growing levels of crime and break and enters.

So dont just look at the percentages but also the social stats

welcome to oz aka 2013

moving to the US means you'll be earning US wages.

all of a sudden your house won't look so cheap.

But don't forget , even on their wages a house is only 2 or 3 x anyway so you'd be rolling in it compared to here , not to mention everything else is heaps cheaper to isn't it as we're ripped of blind here right across the board.

What are US wages anyway , wouldn't have a few examples would you ?

Cheers

Having lived and worked in various parts of the USA (NY, LA, SC) it can be a rewarding experience but it is not a patch on oz. In general most Americans do not understand Australian humor or lifestyle and have no idea that both countries are the same size or that the state of Texas fits inside the state of WA more than 10 times. Also in regards to those property prices one also needs to look at the type of houses being compared and that Darwin houses are relatively new under 40 years of age, with a large % under 25years.

Having lived and worked in various parts of the USA (NY, LA, SC) it can be a rewarding experience but it is not a patch on oz. In general most Americans do not understand Australian humor or lifestyle and have no idea that both countries are the same size or that the state of Texas fits inside the state of WA more than 10 times. Also in regards to those property prices one also needs to look at the type of houses being compared and that Darwin houses are relatively new under 40 years of age, with a large % under 25years.

new is cheap and tacky you'll
find out

I would say that america is only a good place to live if your well off. Ive your middle class (this class is quickly becoming the new poor) than don't bother.

The crime is horrendous, the attitude of people there is pretty foul. Many of what we call normal streets here look like ghettos. There are really nice places in America like everywhere else, but the nice areas are inbetween some really nasty places you don't want to walk alone in.

I would say that america is only a good place to live if your well off. Ive your middle class (this class is quickly becoming the new poor) than don't bother.

The crime is horrendous, the attitude of people there is pretty foul. Many of what we call normal streets here look like ghettos. There are really nice places in America like everywhere else, but the nice areas are inbetween some really nasty places you don't want to walk alone in.

Thanks Daniel . very interesting

Cheers

Don't get me wrong , I'm not knocking anything you've said , i've done a hell of a lot myself but I've never been os and I do often wonder .
Whenever I here Aussie lifestyle , I never get it . It seems basically much the same as anywhere else in that way . I'm not talking crime and other things but more just so called lifestyle . On average most people seem to basically just work , come home , pay bills , get a little bit of time with the family , work again . take a trip now and then , pretty well it .
Seems nothing they couldn't do anywhere else really .
And sure , we use to be called lay back but we seem far from that these days , it's a way different country & mentality now and you don't really have a choice b/c one we're so expensive now & 2 we're so over lawed, regulated permitted & watched.

I'm not saying there aren't some great spots around, space, but there is anywhere and you've gotta be able to afford one though and work like a b'ch for a 100 yrs to that these days so , dunno !

Might go mad and start an Aussie lifestyle thread , I need to suss this baby out.

Cheers

I seriously considered shifting to the US but knew I would need a convincing argument to present to Mrs Fish. Frankly, I couldn't find it.

One problem I saw (and I'm serious here) is that I find Yanks and their politics to be a bloody big joke and I'd probably say so in the wrong company and get shot. I am too frank and they are too defensive. :D

Back