Should I re-submit my tax return to avoid audit

I recently did my tax return via the accountant and it was over 10 days and no Notice of assessment from the ATO. Today she downloaded it as a pdf so maybe its on the way.

A few days ago I read an article on a property magazine regarding travel expenses: '''if the main purpose of your trip is to have a holiday and the inspection of the property is incidental to that main purpose, you cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the travel'.''

I was unaware of this rule and have large travel expenses- flying up to brisbane- claiming return flights and hire car. In actual fact, I spent 3 weeks up there and only spent a day at the I.P inspection and working in the garden. The total value of the flights and car hire was $500.

I also did another gardening job in the area and invoiced it with my ABN

I flew from oversea's to do this inspection and work in the garden but obviously had a holiday as well.

I think if I was audited I would be guilty and have to pay a penalty.

Question... Should I get the accountant to re-submit my tax return taking out the $500. Is this possible based on the above info i.e. the accountant hasnt received the original in the mail yet but has downloaded it as pdf version.

If it is re-done does this raise any alarm bells at the ATO and trigger and audit?

Thanks for your opinions on this one. I've accidently taken the **** due to my ignorance of the tax laws but don't want to be audited.

I recently did my tax return via the accountant and it was over 10 days and no Notice of assessment from the ATO. Today she downloaded it as a pdf so maybe its on the way.

A few days ago I read an article on a property magazine regarding travel expenses: '''if the main purpose of your trip is to have a holiday and the inspection of the property is incidental to that main purpose, you cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the travel'.''

I was unaware of this rule and have large travel expenses- flying up to brisbane- claiming return flights and hire car. In actual fact, I spent 3 weeks up there and only spent a day at the I.P inspection and working in the garden. The total value of the flights and car hire was $500.

I also did another gardening job in the area and invoiced it with my ABN

I flew from oversea's to do this inspection and work in the garden but obviously had a holiday as well.

I think if I was audited I would be guilty and have to pay a penalty.

Question... Should I get the accountant to re-submit my tax return taking out the $500. Is this possible based on the above info i.e. the accountant hasnt received the original in the mail yet but has downloaded it as pdf version.

If it is re-done does this raise any alarm bells at the ATO and trigger and audit?

Thanks for your opinions on this one. I've accidently taken the **** due to my ignorance of the tax laws but don't want to be audited.

Tax return adjustment is fairly painless, people make honest mistake all the time.....

tax adjustment wont trigger audit....there are thousands of people adjust their tax return each year....

They have powerful data matching computer these day and run pattern and they have certain criteria they look for and flag alert....it run 24/7 365 days a year...and their data grow massively each year...business....banks has to supplies these data to ATO
every thing that involve electronic transaction will get lodge from there they go about data matching, the crook will get caught it is not if it will be when.

just have a look at etax, when you lodge they all ready has data on what dividend you get when, what banks interest you get when pre-filled in for you etc.....under Australia law most business has to supplies these information to ATO as part of their operation.

they working on an automated system, where they will pre-filled out most of your tax return
and all you have to say yes or no and correct and you done with the return...

If you honest and make mistake there is nothing to worry about, what they after are people who dodging their tax and involve in scheme to avoid paying tax.

If you have made a genuine mistake and take steps to rectify it then you have nothing to fear from the ATO. Your accountant will do the necessary adjustment return.
Marg

Your accountant is a bit of a dope for not asking you the pertinent questions about the trip!

BUT it is best to get it adjusted and sorted now as you know it's not right.

i was under the impression you could aportion your trip.
1 week trip. spend 1 day at IP. cost 700. you could claim 100.
:confused:

Time is NOT a reliable indicator for apportioning by itself.

Time spent on a task is merely one fact to consider amongst many.

You are required to weight the importance of each task for which the main journey was made.

This will be done objectively by the AAT if you object to your amended assessment, penalties and interest.

For example, if you would have travelled interstate for another purpose regardless then no part of that interstate journey would be deductible even if some income producing tasks were performed whilst away.

Business and work-related travel of more than five nights requires a travel diary to support receipts otherwise none will be allowed. This makes the shortfall larger than many expect.

A tax return is a statutory declaration and should be taken seriously.

Voluntary disclosure is one method to mitigate penalties and possibly interest. Once the formal ATO escalation system is activated then it is very difficult to stop.

This will be done objectively by the AAT if you object to your amended assessment, penalties and interest.

For example, if you would have travelled interstate for another purpose regardless then no part of that interstate journey would be deductible even if some income producing tasks were performed whilst away.

Interesting... how about this hypothetical scenario - what if you're going for a holiday and made a transit flights on to work on IP before then fly to your final holiday destination (i.e. you won't make this transit if it's not for the IP)?

Your facts indicate a diversion of a holiday flight rather than a journey of its own.

In that case, your 'transit flight' could be a mixed purpose and whether any portion of any leg is deductible depends upon the relative importance of the facts.

If you had reached your holiday destination and then made a local/additional flight solely to work on an IP then that may be different.

Tax fraud! Claiming expenses to which you were not entitled. Seek advice quickly and amend your tax return.

A mistake or error is not fraud. Fraud requires a person to know they make a false statement / declaration or return at the time they made such a declaration. Many people amend to correct errors and misinterpretation and these people dont get penalised. If they do the Commissioner has a policy of favourably granting remission. The object is to encourage such admissions not to fear honesty. This onus of proof is very hard to prove anyway - Usually bigger cases involve fruad where a conspiracy can be established and proven (ie Wickenby cases or alteration of records). Its hard to prove what you knew or thought.

There would be no penalty for a 2013 agent lodged return as the final date is not yet due. Amend your heart out. Plenty of time to discuss your concerns with your tax agent and they can easily amend electronically. Dont rush. Make an informed decision. The ATO dont need excuses - in fact you cant even provide them !! Its a self-assessement system to prepare a amended return. Sometimes they may call to ask the agent for more information but I wouldnt think this is that type of issue. No penalty will occur. Interest may be liable for the shortfall if a refund is originally assessed and the amendment results in a shortfall payable.

By the way, donkey - The pdf.... That is THE assessment notice. Few tax agents mail these out. Email etc is cheaper, faster etc. You have a pdf copy. So now you can amend. Until its issues you actually cannot amend a return cause its the assessment notice that you are seeking to amend not the tax return data. It doesnt change the fact its a valid assessment. Did you read it?

Back