Should tenants be given multiple chances?

I get a lot of single mothers as tenants.

I find they are no more irresponsible than any other tenants. Some are great, some are good, some are really bad.

In fact, some of them are amazing tenants, who pay on time, every time, keep the place neat & tidy, and look after it.

Lol - ok then mr Jim!!!
I understand it's a fact based on your experience!

It has not been my experience -and I may have a bigger "n" (sample number) ;)

And yes - everyone has the choice to read or not read the comments.

Last edited:
It has not been my experience

Sure your not the troll on here!!!!!!! So tell us what is your experience with defaulting tenants?...........must be a few as you had a thread going the other day and had 3 in at the tribunal in one day.oh ma lord!!!!

Yes over 10 years of running a real estate agency and managing hundreds of properties I've had lots of experience in rent defaults!

Surely this is a HUGE generalisation. I've been a single mother since I've been a mother. I was renting when he was born & was never ever late with my rent, even after my flatmate left & I was paying it all myself which was a stretch, a lot more than my current mortgage. They sold the house while I had a 3 month old & I was extremely cooperative with allowing access so they could present & market the property. Then I bought my own house & 4 years later I'm about to buy another. I hold a masters degree & have a 6 figure salary. So can we please stop tarring all single mothers with the same brush?

I'm sure there are hopeless, poor, late paying single mothers, just like there are hopeless, chronically poor, late paying single guys (with or without kids, do you tar them with the 'single father' brush??) or chronically poor etc people who fit other demographics. I have to say the woman bashing that goes on this forum is tiresome, ignorant and offensive. I'm sure I'm completely wasting my breath but surely everyone is entitled to a fair chance and shouldn't be assumed to be a hopeless tenant just because there happens to not be a father / partner also contributing to the rent.

Edited to add: Before someone assumes I receive child support, I do not and never have.

I agree with you Serendip.

Many people on this forum are threatened by strong women. (Not Jim1964 - as this was such an overt, cheeky, out there statement) but the threat is there lurking beneath some of the more covert ego driven comments from some of the disguised trolls ..... Ew! - not sure how the mods are missing it!

As someone who has been running a real estate office for the past 10 years - I cannot say that there has only been single mums on my arrears list. All types of demographics can get into financial trouble!

Just as an aside though - I think we are all single mums :). Married or single, most women I know are the ones that are doing most of the work! And we have so many roles and expectations - it's exhausting!

Congrats to you for keeping it all together!

Agree with Serendip and Xenia IM, all demographics produce good and bad clients and should not be tarred with the same brush.

However Jim 1964s comments are from his experiences with single mothers and may be true in his case just as Xenias experience with males may be true in her case.

Something about glass houses and stones comes to mind:D

Back