Should we sell now or in the New Year?

• yes sell now

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Wait until the new year

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
We are in the process of listing a new property for sale and the owner has asked me this question.

They also said they are in no rush just want to make sure they are maximising their returns.

My response was to get the marketing ready Photos and scripts ready and look to selling come January.

They agreed but the other 2 agents said to get moving now as its a hot market and we have buyers ready to go.

My questions if you were looking to sell would you start marketing now or wait?

Im sure Im right in my thinking but as its two against one and the owners are considering moving now.

If there are buyers ready to settle and they're happy with the price, why not?

Though, as a buyer, I'll be in the 'discount' mindset closer to Christmas. :rolleyes:

Russell, Brisbane just start rising..
If you sell in Jan 14 or later, potentially sold price higher..
Means happier customer and no other thing better than that.

Happy cust also good for build reputation and mouth to mouth marketing

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to launch over the December - Christmas period - it's a great time to sell.

My experience - albeit it in Perth. Is that Chrissy New Years is the only time of the year when supply to the market of new listings slows to a crawl and I experience similar or even higher than normal buyer numbers (as many times i am the only agent working weekends near christmas) and I think a lot of people actually take time off and extended holidays at home over the Christmas New Years period and are available to look at houses - so increased demand.

Reduced supply and increased demand = good things on price!!!!

Good luck

I'd be tempted to launch over the December - Christmas period - it's a great time to sell.

My experience - albeit it in Perth. Is that Chrissy New Years is the only time of the year when supply to the market of new listings slows to a crawl and I experience similar or even higher than normal buyer numbers (as many times i am the only agent working weekends near christmas) and I think a lot of people actually take time off and extended holidays at home over the Christmas New Years period and are available to look at houses - so increased demand.

Reduced supply and increased demand = good things on price!!!!

Good luck

Could be on to something there?

Hows the saying go;

"Success comes from doing things differently"

I've heard things have slowed down over the past two weeks (Brisbane).

An agent told me if she was listing her own house, she would wait until after Christmas, even though she is working right through the break.

I'd definitely wait until after Christmas. A lot of people are focussed on Christmas during this time of year & stop looking for a house. In fact, was speaking to one of my nieces & her husband just yesterday. They are first home buyers and quite keen to buy their own place, but have stopped looking now in the run up to Christmas. They'll start looking again in the new year.

We've also bought at Auction close to Christmas & have noticed that there is less competition. Good for us! Not so good for the vendor!

Assuming its in Brisbane , so not sure .

In sydney I'd say go now .

My parents have just found a retirement unit they are buying and while my dad was concerned it was too much of a rush we felt that going ASAP was the option and the agents agreed . House is in mid 1's , three beds , close station , mid north shore . Went on the market to " gauge interest " with the intention of going to auction early 2014

Had first open yesterday .

23 different groups , 10 contracts , five making offers on the day including some saying they were desperate to get it and what did they need to pay to get it .

Result is the property is going to auction next week , one week after going on the market. Will let people know what it goes for .

Normally I wouldn't sell at this time of the year , but certainly in sydney , the market seems still to be hot and where as normally the properties on the market at the moment are those that have been on the market for a while and haven't sold , at the moment it appears to be the buyers who are desperate and want clarity .

Cliff

I would say if it is priced leanly then go now as the market is still moving and buyers are looking to grab a deal before 2014..
Have to remember bank rates are like an unknown time bomb so great motivator for any serious buyer.
If a lot of fat on the price you may need some extra time starting the new year...Must show value to sell prior..

One of the areas that we are currently looking at has all new listings from this month under the title of "PREVIEW ONLY" with no address and only limited information.

One of the agents stated that if there was interest then the buyer would make the effort to find out more.

If not, the property will not be stale in the new year.

One of the areas that we are currently looking at has all new listings from this month under the title of "PREVIEW ONLY" with no address and only limited information.

One of the agents stated that if there was interest then the buyer would make the effort to find out more.

If not, the property will not be stale in the new year.

This is a good idea. We've considered this ourselves. We are having some pressure put on to list "immediately" (after having been stuffed about for ten months by the opposing barrister who now wants us to sell "now"). If we must, we will list "quietly" without going into the papers or internet sites to keep him quiet.

Last year when we tried to sell the house, and wanted to wait until January to list, we were convinced to list in November. Tenants were passive/aggressive, both local agents themselves :rolleyes:, and by the time January rolled around, they had stymied all efforts to sell and the house was stale.

I don't know if they think we haven't told ten people about their antics :rolleyes:.

My understanding was the "preview" meant the contract of sale wasn't yet ready, but they are getting the house open as soon as possible to generate and gauge interest.

My understanding was the "preview" meant the contract of sale wasn't yet ready, but they are getting the house open as soon as possible to generate and gauge interest.

I think that this is what it was originally used for in Sydney but this particular town has taken the idea and used it to their advantage.

Typically all that this does is get people to call the agent and ask for the address of the property anyway. The buyer then drives past the house, which may not be presented 100% for sale and it can affect the perceived value of the home. The initial excitement and fear of loss for a buyer is negated as they have to wait for a contract for purchase of the property, and the property quickly goes stale.

The best momentum comes from the first few weeks of the campaign, even more so in the digital era of selling real estate, and I have the graphs of every single property I have listed to prove it.

Best to launch with correct marketing, presentation and competition from the get go, whether before or after Christmas with the best marketing, just find an agent who is working through Christmas, there are plenty of us around, if you have to go before hand.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Ryan

This is a good idea. We've considered this ourselves. We are having some pressure put on to list "immediately" (after having been stuffed about for ten months by the opposing barrister who now wants us to sell "now"). If we must, we will list "quietly" without going into the papers or internet sites to keep him quiet.

Last year when we tried to sell the house, and wanted to wait until January to list, we were convinced to list in November. Tenants were passive/aggressive, both local agents themselves :rolleyes:, and by the time January rolled around, they had stymied all efforts to sell and the house was stale.

I don't know if they think we haven't told ten people about their antics :rolleyes:.

Typically all that this does is get people to call the agent and ask for the address of the property anyway. The buyer then drives past the house, which may not be presented 100% for sale and it can affect the perceived value of the home. The initial excitement and fear of loss for a buyer is negated as they have to wait for a contract for purchase of the property, and the property quickly goes stale.

I agree with you, but we would only be doing this if the barrister for the other side tries to force us to list "NOW" when we don't want to list until January. It would be a Clayton Listing. Would could say "it is listed" and we would not be telling a lie.

When we listed last year, against our better judgement, we did have a stale property by the time peak selling period rolled around. We had planned to wait, but our agent had several buyers floating around. We initially said "bring them through" but we were talked into listing early, against our better judgement, and it was the wrong thing to do.

This barrister wanted everything to happen quickly, after having held up our lives for close to a year whilst he extracted all he could :rolleyes:. Now he can wait until we are ready. But there was a real risk of him applying to the court to force our hand and sell smack bang in the middle of the Christmas fortnight.

That risk is over now (being so close to Christmas, and with carpet layers, sign makers, photographers and furniture hire companies closing tomorrow) and we can list in mid January which I think is important. Our agent said she would wait until mid January if she was listing her own property.

Wylie, you could sign the agreement with the agent, you can then say to the barrister, that the property has been listed with an agent, however the agreed marketing could then be planned to start after the holidays. In the past, we have found holding opens on the second weekend into January, usually gets pretty good results. I gather that you don't have tenants to deal with. Good luck with the sale this time round.

My 2 cents

Settlements have slowed as most law firms have closed up shop for Christmas (we are technically closed but there are 3 solicitors sitting in the office today).

Contracts are still coming in, but slower than normal.

I think Brisbane is still winding up so would hold off if I could.

We are in the process of listing a new property for sale and the owner has asked me this question.

They also said they are in no rush just want to make sure they are maximising their returns.

My response was to get the marketing ready Photos and scripts ready and look to selling come January.

They agreed but the other 2 agents said to get moving now as its a hot market and we have buyers ready to go.

My questions if you were looking to sell would you start marketing now or wait?

Im sure Im right in my thinking but as its two against one and the owners are considering moving now.
So what did vendors end up choosing?

Back