Shower recess / waterproof membrane.

I was wondering if anyone had information of the Australian Standards for shower recesses. More specific being the waterproof membrane.

How high up the wall should it go?

Any links to the info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Regrow

the membrane must be a min height of 1.8meters around the shower , 600mm to the sides of the shower area, and 300mm around the walls from the floor, this is the minimum requirements,

1st is cloth tape on all joins, second coat all surfaces, third all surfaces, and the last coat all surfaces,
allow to dry for 24hrs, OK! ;)

If you are looking at different types of membrane to get, the purple stuff is the best!

Wishing you every success,

Ana Stankovic

craigb
the membrane must be a min height of 1.8meters around the shower , 600mm to the sides of the shower area, and 300mm around the walls from the floor, this is the minimum requirements,

1st is cloth tape on all joins, second coat all surfaces, third all surfaces, and the last coat all surfaces,
allow to dry for 24hrs, OK!

Thanks for that, do you have any written reference or links to the info? the reason I'm after info is that our shower in new house just over 1yr old is leaking.

I found some pictures I took before the tiles went down and the membrane is no where near that height, see attached pictures:eek::eek:

I have had the builder look at it and he measured the moisture in the walls. He has aggreed that the water is leaking and is arranging a company to caulk /seal the tiles?

So my question is can / should I ask them to remove the tiles and redo the membrane and redo tiling? Leaking in both the ensuite and bathroom.

Should there be membrane around the bath hob, splashbacks etc?

I built two houses with the same company at the same time so should I get them to look at the other one as well? The one above I live in and the other is my IP.

Regards

Regrow

Attachments

• 1 (68).jpg
    1 (68).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 1 (65).jpg
    1 (65).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 331
  • 1 (66).jpg
    1 (66).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 301
Hi Regrow, apparently happens even in new properties (bad workmanship???)

We have had success with Megaseal in the showers if its not a plumbing issue

Australian Standard 3740 2004 – Waterproofing of wet areas within residential buildings
Looks like this costs some $ to acquire

Planning & Building also mentioned

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) Volume 2 Part 3.8.1 Wet Areas

doesn't look good

From what i can see in the photos, they have not gone nearly high enough.
People don't seem to understand that Grout is very porous and the water will actually climb up the walls. which is why you need to waterproof to 1800 as Craig has mentioned.
I would show the builder the photos, and explain that it is leaking. Give him a chance to get the waterproofer back in to rectify the issue.

good luck

People don't seem to understand that Grout is very porous and the water will actually climb up the walls. which is why you need to waterproof to 1800 as Craig has mentioned.
I would show the builder the photos, and explain that it is leaking. Give him a chance to get the waterproofer back in to rectify the issue.

good luck

looks like they glassed the walls and membraned the base ,this is against the australian standards for waterproofing ,and a call to your builder should alarm him especially armed with photos

arms
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho1 View Post

good luck
looks like they glassed the walls and membraned the base ,this is against the australian standards for waterproofing ,and a call to your builder should alarm him especially armed with photos

Australian Standards is as follows: For Enclosed and Hobbed Shower area.

FLOORS AND HORIZONTAL SURFACES:

WATERPROOF entire enclosed shower area, including hob.

WALLS:

Base of shower is to be WATERPROOF to a height of 150mm min. above the shower floor substrate or 25mm min. above the maximum retained water level and the remainder to be WATER RESISTANT to a height of 1800mm min. from finished floor level.

WALL JUNCTIONS AND JOINTS:

WATERPROOF internal and external corners and horizontal joints within a minimum height of 1800mm above the floor level with a minimum width of 40mm from either side of junction.

WATERPROOF = Membranes
WATER RESISTANT = Tiles

Basically a waterproof membrane to floor and up to a min. height of 150mm or 25mm min. above the maximum retained water level. As in my above attached photograph.

What they did not do is the corners up to 1800mm min. height as per photograph.

Regards

Regrow

Basically a waterproof membrane to floor and up to a min. height of 150mm or 25mm min. above the maximum retained water level. As in my above attached photograph.

What they did not do is the corners up to 1800mm min. height as per photograph.

Regards

Regrow[/QUOTE]

which is as i have said "against the australian standards"

Back