Shower Screens - Frameless worthwhile?

Hi All,

After some urgent advice on shower screens.. Currently renovating my PPOR which will possibly in future become IP.

I have been quoted $1200 for 2 x semi-frameless shower screens and also have a glazier mate who is pushing me towards frameless and has quoted me $1800 for both (generally each shower is around $2000 for frameless).

In terms of re-sale or valuations, I do not feel the decision will make much of an impact on $$$ although it may add to the initial 'wow' factor.

Also in terms of functionality and usability if it is to become a IP, which option is best?

Pro's and Con's for each based on the above costs?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Both bathrooms shown below for reference.

Main Bathroom - 900 x 900 with shower base.
1926726_10153854747795251_321597145_n.jpg

En-suite - 1200 x 900 with shower base.
IMG_4116.JPG

House is located in Scoresby, Vic and has been finished to an 'average' or slightly above standard IMO but not 'high end' if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point in frameless when you've got shower bases. The whole point is to try to avoid defining the shower as separate from the bathroom, and you've already defined them with bases.

Like SNM, I say go semi-frameless.

Agree with all above. My glazier mate was trying to convince me to go framless but I think it will look strange with the bases.. Decision has been made and sticking with the semi-framless.

My intent was never to create a high end bathroom hence using shower bases. Only the fact that I could get framless for less than half RRP was I considering. Thanks all!

Agree with what you did but next you'll know it pays to know a Glazier! What's a base worth? Not a huge difference to go frameless when you know a glassy... Just don't measure wrong like I did! Then you'll lose a couple hundred easy done:D

I have been quoted $1200 for 2 x semi-frameless shower screens and also have a glazier mate who is pushing me towards frameless and has quoted me $1800 for both (generally each shower is around $2000 for frameless).

In terms of re-sale or valuations, I do not feel the decision will make much of an impact on $$$ although it may add to the initial 'wow' factor.

Also in terms of functionality and usability if it is to become a IP, which option is best?

If your price for semi-frameless is $1200 and you can go frameless for $300 extra per shower, I would go frameless.

The spec looks pretty good, and to be able to "not" look at a metal frame would sway me towards paying the little extra. I wouldn't do it if the price wasn't so cheap through a mate.

If you do decide to go frameless, get decent patch fittings ie no hard corners (all rounded) makes cleaning easier. (I didn't look closely at the photos earlier but the base really brings the room down - hence the recommendation for framed).

Last edited:
If your price for semi-frameless is $1200 and you can go frameless for $300 extra per shower, I would go frameless.

The spec looks pretty good, and to be able to "not" look at a metal frame would sway me towards paying the little extra. I wouldn't do it if the price wasn't so cheap through a mate.

$300 more for frame less is very good value and a no brainer but in this case the base really cheapens the look imo.

Shower bases

As above.
Is it to late to rip up the base? Tile then go frameless. The rest looks tops, nice colour tiles

Shower bases are horrible. They always leak later, can't seal them properly. If ip later maybe spend the money, enjoy the frameless , depreciate then rent.

My 2c worth.

Those prices are very good, and would look as good as a frameless I think. I guess you need to factor in the cost to install, but maybe that could be done by the glazier mate for a few cartons?

Would work well in a perfect world.. I know for my bathrooms they would be useless given the walls run out of plumb by upto 10mm.. Agreed they are very well priced though!

Shower bases are horrible. They always leak later, can't seal them properly. If ip later maybe spend the money, enjoy the frameless , depreciate then rent.

My 2c worth.

I would say a tiled shower base would generally have more of a chance of leaking.. a poly marble base really only has one place for water to go and that's down the drain pipe.. care to expand on your theory that shower bases always leak? :confused:

The reason I went with shower bases was because they were free! and the fact I never wanted a top end fit out given the home.. I've done these 2 bathrooms for under $5k each which I think is great value! :D

Would work well in a perfect world.. I know for my bathrooms they would be useless given the walls run out of plumb by upto 10mm.. Agreed they are very well priced though!

there is tolerance in the wall brackets to allow for this

I had an odd size shower so had to resort to ebay... think it was $300 for a full frameless set up

My walls were out to but had the tiler build out the wall when he tiled to lose a few mm. I had a banana wall 10mm and he got it back to reasonable for brackets and silicone to hide.

Something for the next one

My walls were out to but had the tiler build out the wall when he tiled to lose a few mm. I had a banana wall 10mm and he got it back to reasonable for brackets and silicone to hide.

Something for the next one

My tiler/carpenter mentioned he would do the same thing and even spent considerable time buzzing back/packing studs before we re-sheeted.. But that's another story!

Back