Side Access

I am planning to do some landscaping to front yard of my IP that will go on sale later this year. The IP is located in a suburb (Augustine Heights) where having a side access seems to be a big bonus. There is a 2.4m "gap" between RHS of the house and fencing which is currently closed by front fence. So the idea is to convert the front fence to gates and hence create "side access". There won't be a concrete driveway leading to it (driveway to the house is on LHS) just small kerb and lawn. The question is whether 2.4m wide "corridor" would be considered a "side access"?

From a councils perspective it probably wouldn't as it doesn't meet the Australian Standards minimum width for a domestic driveway (3m) which most councils then base their local requirements on.

However, you are not putting in a driveway or crossover (council would likely object to a second crossover also) so they won't care in that regards. You may or may not need to get council permission to install gates in place of the current fence.

I guess it comes down to why do you want to market the property as having side access? If it was so that in future a buyer could add a rear garage at the back of the property then that might be a bit questionable as with the access width only being 2.4m I would imagine a garage there would be knocked back by you local council. A 'shed' (that effectively doubles as a garage by having swing open doors etc so you can park your a car there) could probably get approval without the side access width being an issue.

I'm thinking of doing th same Povesa. I think its a good idea. I currently have RHS driveway , which leads to side of house and a garage in rear of house but vehicles cannot access backyard as the garage won't allow it.

The LHS has a colourbond blockoff which I want to convert to gates (3.7 m wide). I propose to allow vehicles (boats,trailers) enter RHS driveway , then cross front yard to LHS gates and thus park vehicle etc in the backyard. This would be added feature for tenants. More secure parking for them...jack rent up for very little expenditure.

Back