SIG Meeting January 31st - Guests Ed Chan and Tony Melvin

Hi,

I'm already booked in (Post #49 on 13/1/06)

May I ask my question, now, please?

We have a "Family Discretionary Trust." Should we use it when purchasing Investment Properties?

Also, would the Trust help us if purchasing Investment Properties overseas - say in NZ or the USA?

Thank you. See you on the 31st.

Regards,

Grahame

StevenO said:
Hi. Two, possibly three, people at this stage please.

I'd like to know what advantages/disadvantages this trust has over HDT's.

Thanks.
I can confirm there will only be two of us attending now.

To expand on my earlier question, I would like to know if there is any advantage to using the Property Investors Trust over a Hybrid Trust other than land tax.

If you already have a property in your own name above the land tax threshold is the land tax saving of a Property Investors Trust irrelevant?

hi all
I have my tickets book, but can I find out whether this property investment trust(pit) is a trust or a structure made up of multipul trust attached and organised as a single trust/structure.
what rulings has been given with regard to taxation and was that a individual ruling by ato or a ruling with regard to the whole trust/structure.
costs to set up and on going costs.
why it is better to purchase this trust (pit) as an individual rarther then a company from a liabilty position.
if any problems that may occur, have the barristers that were involved in the formation of this (pit) trust / structure formally agreed to defend this (pit)trust structure and at what cost.
Is the whole of this (pit)trust/structure setup and formed in Australia or are there parts that reside out of Australia.
If we can see a break down of what and how this (pit)trust works I understand what it is used for and how trusts are formed, I'd like a little of the nitty gritty of its substance.

Hi to all
As a newbie I would be interested in 1 (one) ticket to this meeting.

My questions in relation to the "Property Investors Trust" are in relation to:

a) Asset Protection capabilities of this, and
b) the maintenance/costs (initial and ongoing)

Look forward to meeting people.

Rgds,

acquila

"Dare to be different - own nothing yet control everything - earn, spend and then pay tax"

Ok guys, this is tomorrow night.

We have asked the pub to fit in 85 seats. It will be a tad squashy :D
The "reserves" people can turn up - and please stand at the back until 735pm - and if there are some spare seats left at that time you can sit down (usually we have a few people who cannot make it to each meeting).

Reminder to newbies, hang around after and have a cup of tea/coffee if you wish!!

No $2 needed either as Tony and Ed are bring their own projector.

Very sorry I won't be able to attend the SIG meeting tomorrow night. But, I would appreciate it very much if someone(s) please take good notes and share them here. Thanking in advance.

Apologies...

Unfortunately will have to pull out to this event that I was very much looking forward to :(

Have an amazing night and I know that the person taking my place will be very richly rewarded!

All the best for tonight!

Ads.

Obiwan, it sounds good to me so I'll definitely be looking into it further before my next property purchase.
StevenO said:
If you already have a property in your own name above the land tax threshold is the land tax saving of a Property Investors Trust irrelevant?
In response to my own question, apparently you get the full land tax free threshold per trust so it would be worth using a separate P.I.T for each property. From what I can gather this is due to the NSW OSR not classing a Property Investors Trust as a 'Special Trust' when assessing land tax.

Ed mentioned they can check your existing trust deed and possibly convert it to a P.I.T without resettling the trust. Has anybody tried to convert a Hybrid Trust or know if this is possible, in particular the deeds written by Macquarie Group Services? The land tax savings in NSW might make this worthwhile.

Hi

Please step very carefully and seek legal advice before amending a trust deed. The ramifications can be disastrous .....

Dale

StevenO said:

Ed mentioned they can check your existing trust deed and possibly convert it to a P.I.T without resettling the trust.

1st FEB

To all that attended...

How was the meeting and what was the outcome; did you learn any more about the P.I.T ?

REDWING

Hi All,

What time did it end? Although I think we had great seating (on th couch) we had to leave a little early.

I found Ed great, hearing him for the second time. What's everyone's thoughts? Eye opener?

DaleGG said:
Hi

Please step very carefully and seek legal advice before amending a trust deed. The ramifications can be disastrous .....

Dale
Hi Dale, I've since been told they mainly do discretionary trusts and there's no major benefits trying to convert a Hybrid Trust deed.

Thanks.

redwing said:
To all that attended...

How was the meeting and what was the outcome; did you learn any more about the P.I.T ?

REDWING
See_change has started a separate thread about PITs.

[Edit]There's been a few questions about PITs in this thread- I don't know if people have received answers which they would like to share in the thread I've referred to, or have any other questions. Please feel free to contribute, especially people who have asked questions here[/edit]

Last edited:
Back