*sigh* yet ANOTHER Brisbane post (350k budget)......

So, i've got about 350k to purchase somewhere in Brisbane..

Ideally i'd like to buy a house, as i already have a unit in Sydney

Areas i'm considering are:

Zillmere
Bracken Ridge
Strathpine

Are they realistic with my budget?

have you got any other areas i should keep in mind?

ideally i'd like to find somewhere asap

Zillmere
Bracken Ridge
Strathpine

There's a big long Brisbane thread where people have asked for suggestions with a $350k budget. Probably a good place to start. People will struggle to give you recommendations if you don't first outline your strategy.

Zillmere
Bracken Ridge
Strathpine

Surely you were able to select those suburbs at realestate.com.au and see if there were any in that price range?

I propose that the next person who asks where to buy in Brisbane for 350k be permabanned. :cool:

Now, now, lets be nice to the newbies.

OP, perhaps the use of the search function would have answered your question. Sometimes the posts are old and the information is therefore not as relevant, but there is another thread (if not a few) going around re. the same.

Here's a link.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90171&highlight=350k

I'm flying up Monday to see a few for myself. Here's hoping Somersoft peeps are on the right track and Brisbane sees some good growth in the next 1-3 years as this would fit well with our plan.

Zillmere
Bracken Ridge
Strathpine

Hi Moses, I think a Somersofter called ZachAnsel has got an IP in Bracken Ridge. I think it's done reasonably well from what I can remember reading.
Okay, these are just some of my impressions from what my friends tell me who have been up there and what I remember reading on Somersoft. I also used to look look at listings in Strathpine and Bracken Ridge. All 3 suburbs have train stations. Well, Bracken Ridge (sort of).

Zillmere - apparently lots of land subdivided for lots of townhouses. I think there's some housing commission in Zillmere. So lots of development happening in Zillmere because of proximity (?) to city

Bracken Ridge - I remember reading in the news that people had to be evacuated from some parts of Bracken Ridge because of flooding during heavy rain - low lying, boggy or marshy or something - I could be wrong. can be rough in some areas

Strathpine - can get a bit rough/bogan in some places. Some problems with flooding, same as Bracken Ridge above. But I can see nice highsets in Strathpine advertised from time to time. Not sure if Moreton Bay regional Council allow dual living atm.

Not sure how attractive these suburbs are for tenants.
Suburbs most discussed northside were places like Stafford Heights, Chermside, Redcliffe Peninsula etc

Angel is also another Somersofter who is very knowledgeable about Northside and Moreton Bay Council Areas. RPI is another Somersofter very knowledgeable.

Sorry, I know what I gave you above is not much. Sort of what I remember stream of consciousness-like :eek:

O thank you!

Out of the three I prefer Bracken Ridge and Strathpine. It seems every southern investor on Somersoft has already picked the best of Zillmere.

Bracken Ridge has a few different demographics in it. Last weekend driving past the old housing commission houses I commented that pretty much all of them have been bought and renovated with nice gardens etc. Hubby reminded me that there is indigenous housing in behind there - I do not know if that is still the case though - with the obvious risk that may turn off your general tenant pool.

The newer (1980s +) more elevated areas have lovely homes. I have never heard anything negative about these areas. I remember suggesting to a
purchaser a few years ago that backing onto the main northern train line would be a turn-off. He stated that his house rented immediately. Traffic flow has already improved with the new flyover and will continue to improve with the widening of the road to Carseldine.

Strathpine has similar demographics but in Moreton Bay Region. Generally properties in Moreton are cheaper than Brisbane (Bracken Ridge and Bald hills) but holding costs like rates and water are higher. Again there are sections that seem unloved and other sections that look very nice. Personally I would only consider elevated land, regardless of what suburb. This far out from CBD I dont see any high income professionals, but plenty of families and those starting out or starting over.

There has been a little price growth over the past two years but with all things North Brisbane, we are still waiting (generally) to go higher than 2007/2008 prices. I cant afford to buy anything these days so I haven't been looking, but if I was, I personally would be looking at these suburbs near the train stations and Carseldine. This time last year we looked at many places around Strathpine, Bray Park, Petrie and Kallangur stations but anything good was snapped up and what was left had serious downsides.

appreciate that beanie & angel :)

Yea i've looked a whole lot at Zillmere but i feel like the best of it, is already sold & sellers are already milking that area for all it's worth. I do check daily BUT i'm skeptical that i'm going to find what i'm after (not to say it's impossible though)

Bracken Ridge is appealing BUT i appreciate the info re flooding/mushy ground! I'm definitely trying to avoid that kind of area.

Hmm, Ferny hills appeals to me BUT seems more expensive/ harder to find a property i can afford.

Perhaps a townhouse in rochedale south if all else fails? or should i stick to finding a house?

Angel & Beanie help me a lot when I did my research.

Bracken, Zilmere and surround will do well due to gentrification. I prefer buy close to station. People say Bracken is boring as dont have amenities as Chermside, Zilmere.
But most of purchaser is first home buyer, i did research mostly by young professional couple. They either working on chermside, or airport and surround. Slow steady price increase will win the race. I dont think the price will go up crazy like inner brissy cbd or logan, but hopefully I'm wrong

Airport is hard to close, in fact is getting busier as people travel a lot. Chermside will provide centre point for shopping

$350k will cover townhouse and unit, but I will not touch them!

Added value is important, we bought and reno. Buy 3br house $300k-2012, reno cost $20k, reval $400k (last year), rent for $400/week.

Zilmere will have massive townhouse and unit develoment, but not Bracken.
If you can strecth your budget, try chermside/chermside west. They become like parramata in syd.

Last edited:
airport access

I keep harping on about easy access to the airport being almost as valuable as access to CBD. Bracken Ridge to the airport is 15-20 minutes, outside of peak traffic. Scarborough would be about 30 minutes and I think North Lakes would be the same.

Last month I was taken from the roadhouse at Nudgee (Australian Catholic University) on the Motorway to meet friends at Ipswich. I love paying tolls, which is uncommon up here, but we avoided so many traffic lights and other intersections. It took about 40 minutes if I recall correctly, I could be wrong. We went via the inner city bypass, along Milton Rd then onto Centenary Highway. Once Legacy Way is completed, traffic will flow even better - Stafford Rd to Toowong to Ipswich or Gold Coast

There is an inbound bus lane planned from Chermside, but not to commence construction until about 2018 or 2020. So get in on the north side before then ;)

Apparently miners and construction workers and their families have moved back from central Qld to Moreton, our version of Tradies' Paradise.

Spoke to an agent last week in Brisbane and he mentioned he sold 20 houses in Deception Bay to a buyer's agent from Sydney.

He said the market is starting to move a bit there.

nice zach, appreciate the responce. If i found something 300ish, i would definitely consider a reno!

thank you for the heads up about buslane angel, thats very helpful :)

havent considered d'bay, as of yet ;)

i HAVE considered ferny hills tho, it's a possibility

Spoke to an agent last week in Brisbane and he mentioned he sold 20 houses in Deception Bay to a buyer's agent from Sydney.

He said the market is starting to move a bit there.

Good to hear Michael X,
I purchased there in 2002 and I'd say it has gone up approx. 50 - 60% in 13 years.
Bring on the Dec Bay boom I say !!!!

nice zach, appreciate the responce. If i found something 300ish, i would definitely consider a reno!

thank you for the heads up about buslane angel, thats very helpful :)

havent considered d'bay, as of yet ;)

i HAVE considered ferny hills tho, it's a possibility

Pleasure Sir, i just give back what I've learned from here.
Make sure you check B&P, flood map. The reason we got it cheap because we originaly offer $320k.
Order B&P inspection with additional photos with extra $50. We found something wrong on pergola, it was structural for the pergola but not the house it self. We know that because the soil was moved.

Estimate fix was $5k, but we make it sound like major problem and "play threat" to cancel contract of sale. We did gave them options $295k unconditional, end up with $300k.
Cost us extra $50 for more detailed photo from building inspector. Thanks for flat market and desperate seller.

Then we do cosmetic, tidy up front garden, repaint inside and kitchen. We also fix the bathroom that was leaking.

It was pure re-accelerate growth via nego and reno..
I believe the real growth will kick in in the next 2-3 years. But could be faster

Back