Signing up with Real estate

Morning All

29 days to our move so very excited.

Just a quick one we are about to go with Hocking Stuart to rent our flat out and would like to know any further clauses we should include in the lease agreement or any infor we should be asking them prior to signing. This is our first rental so all new to us.

Thanks
Smiffy

Get rid of the 30 day cancellation notice for their services. If they truly believe that they will be able to keep you happy, then they should be quite happy to have just a 7 day clause.

Also, if they have a 2 week's rent fee for placing tenants, try to get it down to 1 week.

Morning All

29 days to our move so very excited.

Just a quick one we are about to go with Hocking Stuart to rent our flat out and would like to know any further clauses we should include in the lease agreement or any infor we should be asking them prior to signing. This is our first rental so all new to us.

Thanks
Smiffy

Totally agree with the 7 days' notice of termination clause after the exclusive period ends. If HS say this is contrary to their standard arrangements, I'd push back: they should deal with each of their clients on separate, mutually acceptable terms. Seven days is plenty time for them to hand back files, contact the tenants, transfer bills etc. They're fibbing if they say it isn't.

As for special conditions, I'd include things like tenant must ensure all light globes and tap washers are replaced and garden is maintained. Also if a tenant is responsible for a blocked toilet (e.g. because something fell in it), they must pay for the plumber.

I agree with removing the cancellation clause

I agree with you about removing the termination clause. 7 days is enough and if there are outstanding issues - list them so the new agent can attend as required.

The other thing you might want to consider is the exclusivity clause - especially if you are handing over a vacant property. I have seen owners get caught because their "agent" has taken weeks and weeks to rent out their vacant property. If you remove this - you can place your agent on notice that your reserve the right to market the property with another agent and first to find to find a tenant for you can get the management.

I have a friend who bought an investment property in Indooroopilly (Bris) - allowed the selling agent company to manage - it has now been almost 2 months. no tenant - he is ultra conservative and despite our best efforts for him to confront his agents and let another agent try - he keeps giving them chances - to his own financial detriment.

Back