Silly things drivers do!

During the past few weeks i have been taking note of other drivers on my way home at night.

I'll be driving at 60 in a 60 zone, and there will be 3 or 4 cars pass by me (there are only 3 or 4 on the road) doing around 80ish. I keep an eye on these cars for the next 5/10 minutes to see what happens and how far ahead of me they get.

Its really funny cos most of the time i'll catch right up to them at the red light. You cant win by speeding. They think they are getting ahead, but the red light almost always stops them. haha i feel like saying to them helllloooo idiot, what was the point in that, we are both at the lights now waiting haha.

Have you got some funny stories to tell?

The one thing i hate is tailgaters. Hate them like crazy.

Oh

And those silly people that decide your going to slow for them in the left lane so they overtake so they can be the lead car in the left lane but then shortly after turn left into a side street and cause you to slow down. Geez how impatient

Its annoying because on Alex.ander drive in yokine and dianella lots of people are doing way over the speed limit and there i am doing the 60. Oh well i can only control my driving habits, i should try not to worry about others. But i dont understand why do most of them feel the need to speed and especially 20 km over the limit. Its not just this road its in these suburbs in general. 80% of people speed and most around 20 km over the limit. Can make it dangerous when some are doing one speed and others are doing the legal speed.

People are very impatient.

Its really funny cos most of the time i'll catch right up to them at the red light.

I'm not saying this is what's happening, but I'd like to point out something relevant that I think most people in your situation never think of...

Perhaps they are well aware that they will arrive at the destination at the same time as slow people HOWEVER they have much more stationary time relative to driving, which they may use for reading/writing/knitting at traffic lights. If you just drive slow, you have far less opportunity to do that, despite keeping up with the fast people.

-Ian

p.s. Everyone on Australian roads please, PLEASE don't take the overall safety for granted; you could be driving on Korean roads, amongst the nutcases here.

Most traffic lights run on a sequence that means that if you travel at the speed limit between them you will either catch all the reds or all the greens. When people take a leisurely approach to driving they can catch all reds or all greens. When someone breaks that averaging by going slightly faster or slower then can then break the 'red' pattern or the 'green' pattern. A bit of observation on you usual route will show you what is the best speed to travel at to cruise through the sequenced lights.

If most drivers concentrated on driving efficiently and courteously, most of the road clog would be gone.

Here in Melbourne we have a car park known as the Monash Freeway - a three and four lane sunday cruise for 90 percent of the drivers wandering along. They annoy the life out of me by doing their relaxed cruising in all three lanes at 5-15k under the speed limit, so that maintaining an even pace at the speed limit requires weaving amongst these mobile chicanes. No doubt many snort at my 'speeding' as I am negotiating the obstacle course they create.

I only wish the police would put the same effort into lazy drivers who impede traffic as they put into drivers exceeding the speed limit. Perhaps then traffic would move quickly and safely.

Slow drivers suck.

I don't like people who dash out of a parking space/driveway and then drive 20km (or more) below the speed limit in front of me instead of waiting that extra few seconds for me to pass. Particularly when there is a vast tract of no traffic immediately behind me. Usually it is people doing 15 down the main street here, which is a 50 zone. Today it was a ute pulling out of a driveway on the highway in front of me who proceeded to do 60 in a 110 zone for several kilometers, knowing he was pulling out in a double white line hilly area so I couldn't pass for ages.

I got stuck behind two 40 or 50m long trucks (both of them had two wind turbine blades in them) today doing about 5 in a 110 zone but I can forgive them, they were so long and wide they crossed the road and right onto the verge to turn corners, and I caught them just before they were turning TWO corners in front of me. Should have left home 2 minutes earlier, would have shaved 15 mins off my trip. Also gives you a feel for just how mammothly enormously massive the wind turbines are.

On my road trip to the Gold Coast last month, i encountered a few drivers on the non freeway sections of the Pacific Highway that would sit on about 80kmh along the single lane sections. As soon as an overtaking lanes come, the bar***ds would speed up to 100kmh and then back to 80 when the OT lanes finish.
Not such a problem if you are right behind them as you can just gun it and get past, but when you are 20 cars behind and the cars ahead of you are to scared to speed, so they overtake at about 101kmh. So very few cars actually get to overtake on the OT lanes. GRRRRR!!!

Also, I hate morons who hog the right lane at the speed limit or less, and not actually overtaking.

Whinge over.

So it would seem.

Can make it dangerous when some are doing one speed and others are doing the legal speed
Speed differential is only dangerous when drivers don't know how to allow for it, and do stupid things like suddenly deciding to change lanes a few metres in front of a car that's obviously going much faster.

God (or Mother Nature) gave people brains with the ability to judge and reason. It's a big pity that many people switch it off when they start up the car - but then that's what the government encourages.

JulieW said:
If most drivers concentrated on driving efficiently and courteously, most of the road clog would be gone.
The most sensible thing I've seen anyone say on this topic for ages.

GP

answer is simple - don't sit in a far right lane, it's only for overtaking
then nobody will tailgate you :)

especially if you are one of those people who drive 80 in 100 zone because they think it's a "safe" speed

On my road trip to the Gold Coast last month, i encountered a few drivers on the non freeway sections of the Pacific Highway that would sit on about 80kmh along the single lane sections. As soon as an overtaking lanes come, the bar***ds would speed up to 100kmh and then back to 80 when the OT lanes finish.

Is it a 80km/h road or 100km/h?
Maybe they saved your life......

Not such a problem if you are right behind them as you can just gun it and get past, but when you are 20 cars behind and the cars ahead of you are to scared to speed, so they overtake at about 101kmh. So very few cars actually get to overtake on the OT lanes. GRRRRR!!!

Also, I hate morons who hog the right lane at the speed limit or less, and not actually overtaking.

Whinge over.

Agree with this 100% and BV I am assuming it was 100klm road

answer is simple - don't sit in a far right lane, it's only for overtaking
then nobody will tailgate you :)

i dont, i only drive in the left lane.

lol but some idiots still like to tailgate you in the left lane even though there is a free lane on the right to overtake me. Sometimes i get fed up with it (cos it stresses me out big time) and I move over to the right lane when no other cars are around and move back to the left lane as soon as the idiot has gotten ahead.

i dont, i only drive in the left lane.

lol but some idiots still like to tailgate you in the left lane even though there is a free lane on the right to overtake me. Sometimes i get fed up with it (cos it stresses me out big time) and I move over to the right lane when no other cars are around and move back to the left lane as soon as the idiot has gotten ahead.

I'd rather slow down to 40kph. Maybe straddling both lanes. That'll fix 'em.

Oh IanInvestor then you'd be dealing with major road rage!These days it seems that would be a good way to get attacked.

I imagine it's very illegal, but I had a friend who wired his brake lights so they'd work off a button on the dashboard as well as when the brakes were applied (he was a weekend racer and he said it fooled the opposition into braking too early for a corner).

Kim 5 if they tailgate just slow down more and they'll pass. Most people drive in a daze and so probably don't notice or can't estimate distances and speeds so they drive up quickly on you, don't have the experience or knowledge to check the rear view mirror and change lanes, and so they hover on your tail until they've received the necessary electrical impulses in their wee brains that tell them that they can pull out and pass you.

By slowing down you make their brains convulse and so their brains trigger 'pass in da other lane mmmmmm' messages a fraction earlier and so tailgating is lessened.

The other option you can do is one of the truck bumper signs ' Please Pass' with an arrow. This will give them the approval they seek from a higher power to perhaps consider the 'pass in other lane' option.

Kim how close are these so called tailgaters to the back of your car? With the number of tailgaters you appear to have I get the impression they're just cars sitting behind you a little closer than you would be if you were behind. I've only ever had one tailgater and I just slowed down heaps to **** him off. Granted I probably haven't been driving as long as you.

I think everyone overreacts to speeding. Speeding is far from the most dangerous thing on our roads.

Just last night my dad was driving with me in the passenger seat. We were coming up to an intersection with lights near our house and we were going straight ahead and had a green light through it. There was a car on the opposite side indicating to turn right across our path. We know these lights well and knew he had a green light to go straight but obviously had to give way to us because he was turning right.

And the whole time we were approaching the intersection I was watching and wondering why he didn't go. Then sure enough as were going through he starts going and my dad has to slam on the brakes.

Now this is just borderline mental retardation is it not? He could see us coming from ages away yet didn't go, and then decides to go when he would hit us if not for my dad's reflexes. I just wonder what's going through their heads when people do things like that.

I think that people driving whilst holding/talking on the mobiles and TEXTING! is often more dangerous than doing a few Kms over the limit.

The number of P platers I see especially on the way home from work, Texting on their mobile phones, really **#$* me off. :mad: It is so dangerous and annoying that I begin to understand how some people flip out with road rage.:mad:

In my opinion, tailgating is when there's a car so close to you you can't see their number plate through your rear vision mirror, and you are doing 100km/h. And usually when both lanes are clear for miles so there is no excuse for not overtaking.

Hate hate hate it. Usually slow right down and pull off and usually get shouted abuse at something severe by the 5 adults and 10 kids in the car that was right behind me.

People that do 80 in a 60...then 80 in an 80....then 80 in a 100...then you overtake them, they speed up to 110, so you back off and get in behind them...and they slow to 80 in 100...so you overtake...and they speed up...

There was one guy that was notorious where I lived. He did it to my mate evey afternoon (obviously their timetables matched up) the guy would quite happily slowly match his speed so he couldnt overtake. In the end, my mate just put the boot in (we drive fast cars) and would overtake him at speed, then slow back to 100 and the guy would tailgate him the whole way home.

The reason I found out about this was I was having a whinge after going to my mates place about this idiot...and he said "let me guess, driving a black Mazda 3?" yep....

One day he'll do it to someone that is a bit more violent and will regret it.

I know someone that is quite a good driver (Races rally) and had a guy sitting right on his butt tailgating him. He did the usual wave to try to tell him to back off, but no. he tapped the brakes just enough to bring the lights on, but not that didn't stop him, so he just jumped on the brakes as hard as he could. the other guy managed to stop and not him him. At the next set of lights the guy got out, came up and started punching the window, then smashed his mirror off, then took off in his car. Then the guy I know decided to give chase for a while to try and scare the car, he had no issue whatsoever keeping up. Eventually he stopped and went to the police about it all.

Some people are just dumb. I am not condining the acts of my friends above, however this is the sort of thing that people will resort to cause people annoy them so much - usually inttionally!

My pet hates that are accidental rather than intentional
* not using blinkers (especially on round abouts)
* clear blinkers. Not sure how they are legal. Great at night, really hard to see in morning or afternoon sun.
* Inconsiderate drivers - people that sit in the right lane (legal or not - it's in considerate)
* Motorbike riders that do any of the following - Cut moving traffic at all, cutting still traffic with a passenger (risk your own life - not the passengers) , cutting to the front at the lights, then not accelerating fast, or getting the front, then not doing the speed limit. Not wear appropriate gear (shoes/long pants/long shirt/gloves/helmet are a minimum), Monos in public view (we already have a bad enough name without idiots doing that).

That's a good start.... :p haha

I drive a toyota troop carrier, the number of people who feel the need to get past what they percieve as a "slow" car is ridiculous. The number of people who do this in a dangerous way is scary (pinching through at the last possible moment of a merge lane etc).

Other really scary one is when I'm towing. I tow a 30ft (plus a few foot of drawbar) trailer (looks akin to a horse float minus windows). It's packed full of kayaks and mountain bikes. Kitted out with electric brakes and breakaway as required. Total length of vehicle with the troopy in front is well over 40ft. Total weight of the two combined would be pushing 7tonne. I drive cautiously, conservatively, I give way and move off the road if I'm creating a traffic buildup and there's no overtaking areas around. (In other words I'm aware that I'm big and slow and try not to create too much of a nuisance). Problem is at roundabouts, traffic lights etc - I know how far I need as stopping distance, and I'll usually allow extra for a couple of cars to jump in front of me. Issue becomes when 5 + idiots think it's great to cut my stopping distance available into a third of what it was. I've got a big steel bull bar, it's not going to hurt me, however I don't really want to think what 7tonne worth of vehicle hitting a modern plastic car (even at less than 20kph) would do. Some of these people really seem to want to find out though.

I hate tailgaters as well, god they annoy me!!

I love it even more because i hve a limited speed limit on my licence, and on the motorway/freeway i'm limited to 100, used to be 90, people get right up my bum because i do MY speed limit, i don't want to lose my licence!!

They honk and flash, and best part about it, i'm in the left lane!!

Even better when an L plater over takes me, what is the person doing next to them to allow them to do 120 when they're limited to 80!

The other day some old man was on the wrong side of a main road, didn't know where he was bloody going, thought he was turning left, nope right, no straight! GEEZ if you don't know what side of th road you should be on GET OFF IT!

Slow people also annoy me, yes i do the speed limit, or at most 5km over, but it annoys me when people take 20 mins to reverse park or to get out of a parking spot, or pull out in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes to avoid running into them, then go way under the speed limit AND abuse you cause you almost run up the back of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are such idiots sometimes..

I know someone that is quite a good driver (Races rally) and had a guy sitting right on his butt tailgating him. He did the usual wave to try to tell him to back off, but no. he tapped the brakes just enough to bring the lights on, but not that didn't stop him, so he just jumped on the brakes as hard as he could. the other guy managed to stop and not him him. At the next set of lights the guy got out, came up and started punching the window, then smashed his mirror off, then took off in his car. Then the guy I know decided to give chase for a while to try and scare the car, he had no issue whatsoever keeping up. Eventually he stopped and went to the police about it all.

I had a Taxi driver tailgaiting me, one lane road, local road, went down the left of me..before this i was being a b*tch cause i couldn't see his bonnet he was that close, so i stopped at the next round about, there was a car coming about 100m away so i stopped and waited ages for them to go through, next round about Taxi driver got out and started yelling at me saying he's going to stab me etc.

He sped off, i was behind him the whole time because he kept having to stop because it was school time (mind you i was in uniform and all!!) and he turned a whole one street away from me and i had to slow down for him to get around the corner, he got so far ahead of me, w@nker..

I drive a toyota troop carrier, the number of people who feel the need to get past what they percieve as a "slow" car is ridiculous.

More likely it will be because they can't see around you. I can't stand following 4x4s for that reason. You can't see what's in front, so you can't see what you will need to brake for etc. But yeah, I can see why it's annoying them going around!

Other really scary one is when I'm towing. I tow a 30ft....usually allow extra for a couple of cars to jump in front of me. Issue becomes when 5 + idiots think it's great to cut my stopping distance

I know a few truck drivers, and that is their main complaint. People just don't realise what it's like driving a heavy vehicle.

Back