Silly things drivers do!

It is very restrictive now. Getting your Ps can be an extremely expensive exercise if you don't have a mate to sit with you while you get the 50 hours. The night time hours were the worst for us, with small children (and major sleep deprivation) and the sun going down after their bedtime it was impossible to drive at night unless someone babysat or you bundled them in the back seat and then woke them up at the end of the drive. Got most of the hours in the end just from trips backwards and forwards to Adelaide at night - 4 hour round trip on mostly empty roads. It was the night hours that really held him up getting off Ls just for that reason, there were just so few opportunities to get them. And of course its not like they verify it so in theory you can just make up the entire logbook :rolleyes:

There's several tests now too, including a weird computerised one to get your P2s. And of course the usual speed limits, no alcohol and almost no demerit points to lose.

It's now 120 hours in NSW.

And roads that are 110km or 100km per hour that have only one lane are usually in the country anyway, AND added to this there are broken lines so you can get around, AND over taking lanes every few kms.

ADDED, if you're including motorways/freeways there are many more lanes than one!

That's the thing about tailgaters, at times there are 2, 3 even 4 other lanes, GO AROUND!

And yes RE, in NSW there's 120 hours, a computer test for your Ls, a driving test for your red Ps (P1) another computer test for your green Ps (P2) AND ANOTHER computer test for your full licence!!!!

And for the record Strannik, rules have changed, just because they didn't apply for you doesn't mean they don't now, and L platers have NO demerits, P1 have 2, and P2 have 4, so sorry if we go our LEGAL LIMITED SPEED, some people don't take their licence for granted, i for one don't.

So i follow my 100km limit, i followed my 90km limit on my reds, and 80km on my Ls, if you have a problem with people doing the speed limit, maybe you should get off the road.....?:rolleyes:

i have a problem with people having their own speed limits

Me too, but only when their own speed limit is much different than the one set by the authorities.

What bothers me the most is when some overtake me and look at me funny because I follow the speed limit of 70Km near the tolls.

The motorway is 110km and it drops to 70 near the tolls but they want to continue doing 90Km & 100Km in a 70 zone

Some people are weird....

What bothers me is drivers that overtake me, then slow down in front of me. Another pet hate are the ones that drive really slow on one lane roads, then as soon as overtaking lanes appear, speed up faster than the limit. When the overtaking lane ends, they slow down again.:mad:

The most annoying and in my opinion the most dangerous drivers are those who are too courteous. These are the ones that stop on a busy road to let people in from a side street. Now I'm not talking about when traffic is stopped and they leave a gap. I am talking about where they are travelling at considerable speed there is a red light ahead and the end of the traffic is still 50m or more away.

The person in the side street (usually on the right) is waiting for three more cars to pass and is anticipating when it is safe to enter when suddenly the person at the front of the three decides to stop without warning. This is because they are courteous and want to let the poor driver out.

The person being let out needs to rethink what is happening. They have to first understand that they are being let out, they then have to check if someone is coming on their right (as often the courteous driver doesn't consider this) and then by the time the traffic has started moving there are several scenario;

a) the courteous driver (CD) continues to wait for the driver to enter however as the driver is uncertain when or if the courteous driver will move they stay where they are (stalemate, until eventually the CD gets fed up with the idiot who want come out and drives off being the last to get through the lights) - in my experience the most likely result
b) the CD moves so that the other driver now ends up waiting longer than they would have (the CD drives merrily on wondering at the stupidity of people who want come out when you leave a gap 10 miles long) - next most likely result
c) the driver moves out and successfully enters traffic - rarely happens
d) the driver moves out resulting in an accident - gratefully the least likely result because thankfully there are other drivers who have the sense to anticipate what is happening

There are rules for a reason. Obey the rules and nobody (at least a lot fewer) gets hurt.

Regards

Andrew

Yesterday I came up onto a REALLY slow 'driver' in a 100 zone (in our area it is quite inconsistent whether it is 100 or 110 so I tend to dawdle at 100 in all the smaller roads).

Anyway. This one was doing 40km/h, stayed mostly in the middle of my lane but occasionally veered into the right lane and then back. Too unpredictable to pass them. So I sat behind them, also doing 40, for about 2km. Then they turned left without indicating down a dirt back road.

Is this where I mention the 'driver' was a kangaroo? :D

Yesterday I came up onto a REALLY slow 'driver' in a 100 zone (in our area it is quite inconsistent whether it is 100 or 110 so I tend to dawdle at 100 in all the smaller roads).

Anyway. This one was doing 40km/h, stayed mostly in the middle of my lane but occasionally veered into the right lane and then back. Too unpredictable to pass them. So I sat behind them, also doing 40, for about 2km. Then they turned left without indicating down a dirt back road.

LOL!

I remember we saw a kangaroo a few years back jumping down the main street of Penrith, traffic stopped dead and everyone was staring..

If an overseas tourist was around they'd think it was a regular occurance!

LOL! Not too unusual in rural areas, I would imagine, however one day a couple of years ago I saw one going down one of the main streets of Penrith. The shop keepers ran outside to look. It was a very strange sight indeed.

LOL! Not too unusual in rural areas, I would imagine, however one day a couple of years ago I saw one going down one of the main streets of Penrith. The shop keepers ran outside to look. It was a very strange sight indeed.

I just said that....!

Geez, this is why we shouldn't be in the same room posting, and not talking..

LOL!

I remember we saw a kangaroo a few years back jumping down the main street of Penrith, traffic stopped dead and everyone was staring..

If an overseas tourist was around they'd think it was a regular occurance!

Great minds think alike! Or is it fools seldom differ?:eek:

What bothers me is drivers that overtake me, then slow down in front of me. Another pet hate are the ones that drive really slow on one lane roads, then as soon as overtaking lanes appear, speed up faster than the limit. When the overtaking lane ends, they slow down again.:mad:

Yeah Skater, hubby and I often see this and discuss it. He thinks people mostly do it on purpose to annoy others or they feel like they are the "controllers of safer driving", but I think (as it happens so regularly) that people do it subconsciously i.e. when the road opens up to two lanes they feel more confident and then when another car draws alongside (to overtake) they speed up to match the car overtaking. It is a real pain because you basically have to break the law speeding to get past. Also have you noticed that when you do get past the other driver slows right back to the slower speed again?? It is a real mystery actually because it just happens so much. I would hate to think there are that many mean spirited people on our roads, which is why I go for the "subconscious" theory.

Yeah Skater, hubby and I often see this and discuss it. He thinks people mostly do it on purpose to annoy others or they feel like they are the "controllers of safer driving", but I think (as it happens so regularly) that people do it subconsciously i.e. when the road opens up to two lanes they feel more confident and then when another car draws alongside (to overtake) they speed up to match the car overtaking. It is a real pain because you basically have to break the law speeding to get past. Also have you noticed that when you do get past the other driver slows right back to the slower speed again?? It is a real mystery actually because it just happens so much. I would hate to think there are that many mean spirited people on our roads, which is why I go for the "subconscious" theory.

I disagree, i think it's more "i want to be in front", and in my experience when i get past them, they sit on my butt beeping me flashing their lights when i'm going the speed limit, yet they were going 20km under..??

Fool's thoughts seldom differ :p
I've never had one do that before. Normally they just hop across the road looking panicked, I've never had one decide to hop down the highway in front of me for 2km :confused: And this was at 3 in the afternoon, not dusk when you normally see them.

I was quite surprised it did 40. That is ... fast. It wasn't even a particularly big roo, although I'm sure I'd describe it as huge if I hit it. They are really solid critters.

Fool's thoughts seldom differ :p

I've never had one do that before. Normally they just hop across the road looking panicked, I've never had one decide to hop down the highway in front of me for 2km :confused: And this was at 3 in the afternoon, not dusk when you normally see them.

I was quite surprised it did 40. That is ... fast. It wasn't even a particularly big roo, although I'm sure I'd describe it as huge if I hit it. They are really solid critters.

Aw thanks..

The one we saw was in the middle of the day! Although near our old house there was an old air base (i think that's what it was) and there were Kangaroos everywhere in there, now they've developed it.

40km is pretty fast!

I disagree, i think it's more "i want to be in front", and in my experience when i get past them, they sit on my butt beeping me flashing their lights when i'm going the speed limit, yet they were going 20km under..??

How do you get the person in front to go faster..... try to overtake them :rolleyes:

Back