Sim: why the Removal of derivex Product Line thread and "troll" reason...

Tandella said:
Sim,

On several other forums, I have seen disclaimers along the lines of :

"The views and opinions expressed on this forum are those of the individual poster and not of (the forum provider). As such (the forum provider) assumes no responsibility for any comments made that may be viewed as offensive, defamatory, etc".

Is it not possible to implement a similar safeguard on SS ?

BTW - I'm not having a go at you. Merely offering a suggestion :)

T.
Sometimes it just pays to look :)

http://www.somersoft.com.au/forum.htm

Guys,

The law is not necessarily logical or common sense. In particular defamation defies this test. My understanding from my wife, a solicitor, is that a statement doesn't even have to be false to be suable for defamation. That is, you can say something that is entirely true about someone, but if it causes them to lose income or standing in the community, then they can sue you for defamation. Arguing that your statement was factual is no defense under the law.

My advice, never say something bad about anybody regardless of whether it is the truth or not. Its a legal no-go zone.

Cheers,
Michael.

MichaelWhyte said:
Guys,

My advice, never say something bad about anybody regardless of whether it is the truth or not. Its a legal no-go zone.

Cheers,
Michael.

Is bad manners too :)

Simon

Tandella,

Regardless of whether a statement is true and regardless of whether there is a disclaimer on a forum, the forum can be successfully closed down by someone suing an individual posting a thread for defamation - even if that's the first post ever made by that individual.

Effective moderation is a must. Which is why I have always been very surprised that Steve McKnight opens himself up to legal action the way he does with PI.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Last edited:
My understanding is that to prove defamation, you have to show that the person (in this case Jan and Ian as publishers) made the statement (i.e. allowed someone to post it) and that it caused you damage. Truth is not a defence, or more precisely truth is a partial defence. The defendent (still Jan and Ian, although the poster may also get bound up in this mess) needs to show that revelation of the fact was in the public interest.

Obviously, dark reflections on someone's integrity is going to fail the truth test to begin with, unless you can prove that you had a factual basis for those reflections at the time of defamation. I'm not a lawyer etc, etc.

You'll note that politicians bring a lot of defamation suits, not to bring to court but to shut critics up. Of course they can stand up in Parliament and say things about anyone under Parliamentary privilege. That's not available to the rest of us.

I reckon a moderator should probably lock this thread. But then I'm a trouble maker. ;)

I'm with Sim,

Regardless of the legal aspects there just wasn't anything new.
The flaming was mildly entertaining but then again it too became boring.
Hell the threads were closed down not deleted ... what's all the drama.
Once some real news comes to light start a new thread based on the facts.

On a different angle I'd suggest that Sim and others aren't being paid yet to do such a wonderful job. So we should be extremely tolerant of them, almost as much as they are tolerant of our rantings and ravings.

Bye Sim, your ever obedient servant
Patrick

Yep I'm in total agreeance with Pat and A86... most of the DeriveX related threads have been utter dribble as of late IMHO.

Close'm down whatever Sim....better than this he said she said blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzz...... it's no longer a debate it's a flaming hunk of troll turd :D

When some decent info comes to light then let's discuss things. Otherwise why don't we spend our energies doing something like....say.....property investing?

ArJay :)

Arjay,

Thanks for bumping this otherwise dead thread back to the top, even if your post was suggesting the thread is a waste of time. ;) I'd sort of hoped it had died of neglect...

Doh, am I guilty of my own accusation!! :eek: Nah, it was already bumped...

Cheers,
Michael.

Ruby said:

Great Idea Ruby

That link goes to the First Page of the Forum.

To clarify some posts here re closing threads, who owns the forum, etc. here is the entire first page with the answers from the owners highlighted in bold.

The Somers position is clear, easy to follow, commonsense and most importantly, common courtesy.

Please take the time to read before posting further.

Peter 147

Welcome to the Property Investor's Forum

Please note that while this forum is hosted by Somersoft, the views expressed herein are not necessarily those of the company, nor those of Jan or Ian Somers. The forum is open to all those with an interest in property investment, but users should respect the views of others and refrain from any anonymous, rude, libellous or unfair comment.

Click here to access the forum

About this Forum

The role of this forum is to provide a way that property investors can learn about property investment from fellow investors. To this end the forum is a place for investors to:
• Discuss property investment issues in general
• Share reviews and recommendations on a wide variety of investment resources and services (everything from events, books, software, websites, sources of finance, property-accountants, etc).
• Help each other evaluate property investment opportunities
• Keep abreast of important education events (courses, seminars, workshops, etc)
• Keep up to date on the latest innovative investment techniques
• Make friends, keep in touch, motivate, support and mentor each other

This Property Investor Forum has been a natural extension of what Jan and I have been trying to achieve through our books and software tools: to help fellow property investors and potential property investors gain the knowledge necessary to confidently invest in real estate. In this regard the forum has already proven to be a great success, with thousands of investors taking advantage of it to network and learn from fellow investors. In fact, I would love to take the credit for the idea of establishing the forum in the first place, but that belongs to someone called Les (now one of the moderators on the forum). Its popularity has been such that the hardware and software resources needed to run the forum have been upgraded several times now to cope with the demands and its latest metamorphosis has largely been the result of the efforts of another forum member who goes by the nickname of Sim (now one of the administrators and moderators of the forum).

Forum Policy

Both Jan & I strongly support the concept that you stand to learn a lot from the experience and independent advice of fellow investors. However, this is not meant to suggest that such advice is always the best advice or that advice from industry professionals is always coloured. There are many industry professionals who also give freely of their time and expertise to make valuable contributions to the forum.

But always remember that it is a public forum and, as such, the views posted are not necessarily those of Somersoft (Jan or Ian Somers) or of any of the forum moderators. Nor does Somersoft recommend or endorse any specific investments or business opportunities discussed by participants in the forum. In fact, the forum is not meant to be a place for classified advertisements. However, there may not always be a clear line between sharing information on investment opportunities and using the forum as a place to simply market products and services. If you think that your post might be interpreted as spam, don’t post it. Furthermore, self-promotion should be by way of deeds not ads. We recommend forum members make their own assessment of what industry professionals have to offer based on the utility of their contributions to the forum.

We do not support unfair, unethical, unsupported, libelous or crude comments, no matter who makes them. We reserve the right to delete any posts we consider to be distasteful, disrespectful, degrading or in any way outside the spirit of the forum.

The Moderators

Moderators have been chosen to help facilitate the smooth running of the forum based on their expertise in their respective fields, the utility of their contributions to the forum over the past couple of years, and their relative independence. All of them have earned the respect of their peers during that time and they all give their time and share their expertise voluntarily. We would like to formally acknowledge and thank them for their efforts in this regard.

Hi Guys,
My 2cents worth, I am new to investing and new to this forum, am on an enormous learning curve, most of which comes from all the wealth of knowledge that all of you have, so the way I see it, I would not like anything to jeopardize this forum as I said it is one of my tools for learning as I am sure it is for many others.

Many Kind Regards
John

Thanks for the kind words Brizzy Boy - I hope you do indeed manage to learn all that you need to become successful.

I think that's a good place to leave this thread.

Back