Simple, Healthy and Delicious

Mr F
That's nice. I always buy middle cut bacon as less fat, but Mr MTR likes the other, and does not cut off fat:)

I dont cut off the fat to throw away either. You will note the fat was used in the recipe to fry in.

Fat is good for you in the right circumstances of course.

chilli - chopped onion, a couple of cloves of garlic squashed and saut?ed, add two cans of kidney beans (rinsed), squish a bit and add a tablespoon each of cumin and dried coriander, add a couple of tins of tomatoes and a tablespoon of tomato paste - salt and pepper - cook gently for about half an hour - food.of.the.gods.

you can have it with brown rice or tacos etc. if i'm feeling special i also make a salsa with red onion, garlic, tomato, olive oil, lime and lots of coriander, and guacamole - avocado with a bit of dried coriander and lime juice - plus add some sour cream (or plain yoghurt) - so good, really healthy and cheap.

another fave is red capsicum cut in half and innards removed, add some cherry tomatoes cut in half (fill up the capsicum), then add some chopped up anchovies, some basil and drizzle olive oil over all of it. bake for about 40 minutes - so tasty. i generally have it with a big green salad and some very nice bread.

and i LOVE cauliflower - might be the best thing in the world food wise...

and i LOVE cauliflower - might be the best thing in the world food wise...

Yesterday I made cauliflower 'rice' for the first time.
In a food processor ..zap until rice-like,
I guess you can use a hand grater, or chop fine with a knife.

Put in a microwave safe bowl, with a cover..or plastic wrap..allow steam to escape.
Cook 4-5 minutes,..don't add any water or anything
when done add a bit of butter and salt & pepper.

It was delicious.

another fave is red capsicum cut in half and innards removed, add some cherry tomatoes cut in half (fill up the capsicum), then add some chopped up anchovies, some basil and drizzle olive oil over all of it. bake for about 40 minutes - so tasty. i generally have it with a big green salad and some very nice bread.

tumblr_mgv52sL1O11s3hkaco1_500.png

Put in a microwave safe bowl, with a cover..or plastic wrap..allow steam to escape.

It was delicious.

It was delicious.

Yes- this one is good.
If you are trying to get away from Bread? Cauliflower! It might be easily passed but this Nutrient Dense cabbage is Low in Fat & Carbs, high in Fibre and Rich in Anti-oxidants... and makes a pretty darn good replacement of bread but it's low carb, gluten free and grain free! Cauliflower 'bread' Sticks: 1 head of Cauliflower 1/2 cup shredded Cheese 2 Eggs, beaten 1 tsp dried Parsley or Oregano or Basil 2 cloves Garlic, minced Onion powder, Salt & Pepper to taste 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. 2. Cut up Cauliflower and steam till soft.. put on a tea towel and blot, try to get as 'dry' as possible. 3. Put in food processor or blend till it's mashed potato texture. 4. In medium bowl stir Cauliflower, Eggs, Cheese, Garlic & Seasonings 5. Lightly spray baking pan and pat the mixture out. 6. Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until top starts to brown Cut into bread sticks.

Have you seen/made the cauliflower pizza base? It's a big thing in the States apparently. So people can have pizza without the fattening base. I've been meaning to try it. I love cauli. I'll try it today and report back.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/34149/cauliflower+crust+pizza

I make different versions of this for breakfast. Delicious. I only have half with lots of fresh fruit.

Blueberry, Maple Refrigerator Oatmeal
Ingredients
? 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
? 1/3 cup skim milk
? 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
? 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
? 2 teaspoons maple syrup (more or less to taste)
? 1/4 cup blueberries (or enough to fill jar)

Directions
In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add blueberries and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.

Nutritional Info: 215 calories (900kj), 4g fat, 48g carbs, 8g fiber, 12g protein; Weight Watchers PtsPlus: 7

Also- for an REALLY easy breakfast:-

2 eggs, 1 mashed banana (sorry more bananas- I love them).
mix. fry like pancake

I'm an "all in 1 pot" sort of person to make sure I get my vegies and for convenience and washing up!

Attached is a great recipe I ripped out of a mag.

Another is one I made up -

Olly's Orange Soup

Dice up any red or orange vegies (carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, capsicum etc) and roast or steam until tender. Also saute some finely diced onions.

Throw it all in a blender with stock (vegetable if you want to stay vegetarian) tinned, diced tomatoes and garlic. Add or reduce liquid to make thicker or thinner. Season with salt & pepper if required. Put back in pot to reheat. Serve with bread rolls, croutons, bread sticks etc.

The taste will change each time you make it depending on quantities of ingredients added but it always tastes yummy.

Attachments

• Vegie & Lentil Soup.jpg
    Vegie & Lentil Soup.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 59
Back