Simplot

I think we have the best produce in the world. Whenever I travel overseas, it's so good to come back to Australia's high quality fruit, vegetables & food. Our farmers have to adhere to very high standards and work to strict guidelines. Many other countries don't have the same requirements of their growers. I always buy Australian fruit and vegetables. Simplot, the only company that packages Australian fruit and vegetables is in danger of closing down because of cheaper imported products. Do other people buy only Australian or do people not care where their food is made?

I think we have the best produce in the world. Whenever I travel overseas, it's so good to come back to Australia's high quality fruit, vegetables & food. Our farmers have to adhere to very high standards and work to strict guidelines. Many other countries don't have the same requirements of their growers. I always buy Australian fruit and vegetables. Simplot, the only company that packages Australian fruit and vegetables is in danger of closing down because of cheaper imported products. Do other people buy only Australian or do people not care where their food is made?

With processed/frozen food, we generally buy on a mixture of price and quality, sometimes it's Australian grown/made, sometimes it's not.

From what I recall, Simplot has put a lot of effort into restructuring their business, and renegotiated a lot of the working conditions in their factories. Unless the parent company can get a better return in another part of the world, I can't see the factories closing completely.

Weird, my partner purchased food from a Simplot owned company, Dish'd which sell frozen meals they import from Greece, Thailand and sell over here online.

Guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

edit from the dish'd website

dish’d and Simplot

Where did it all begin? dish’d was conceived by a small dedicated group of food enthusiasts within Simplot Australia back in 2011. The goal was to create a new and exciting way for people to experience innovative and delicious food from around the world. Easily.
Entrepreneurship and venturing into new territories were hallmarks of the Company founder JR (Jack) Simplot, who started the Simplot business in the US, and dish’d is another example of step changing into a new way. The team@dish’d enjoys the backing and support of a large and caring family company in Simplot Australia but operates more like a garage band within an orchestra.

If you want to blame someone for simplots struggles look at the MWU and management in that order. It's not the consumers fault.

We buy pretty much all our fruit and veg from the Dandenong market, strawberries from the local strawberry farm at Red Hill, and anything else to top up from the local fruit and veg shop.

The local little fruit and veg shop is quite expensive compared to the Dandy market unfortunately, but we still put some business their way.

I have no idea where it all comes from.

Occasionally buy fruit and veg from Aldi as well if we get left short.

Never buy from Richies - only normal grocery items we can't get at either the market or Aldi..

Never ever shop at Coles or Woolworths.

I've since seen this doing the rounds on social media, seems like some crafty advertising from the company.

Back