Single Bedroom Dwellings in WA?

Talking from a personal standpoint, I would live in a 1 bedder with a courtyard in a duplex/triplex.

No strata management like in most complexes, so you can have a pet in your courtyard and do as you please a bit more. Start a small garden and such. Also appealing to retirees wishing to downsize.

All the bonuses of inner city living and low maintenance, combined with actually owning everything on the lot and being able to live as you please a bit more.

In fact the demographic of young professional couples and retirees share a lot of common wants for property.

I totally agree boeman. Enough room to have a bbq and beer outside, a pet, and if you're a tradie somewhere to keep your tools.

Is the single bedroom provision active across WA or does it need to be specifically included in the local council planning schemes?

So if I have a property in say Melville council, can I use this provision (cant find any reference in their TPS)?

Is the single bedroom provision active across WA or does it need to be specifically included in the local council planning schemes?

So if I have a property in say Melville council, can I use this provision (cant find any reference in their TPS)?
If the land is zoned 'Residential' in the TPS then the R-Codes will apply. The R-Codes outline the requirements for single bedroom dwellings.

The R-Codes require that the development "responds to a demand for single bedroom accommodation in the locality which is recognised in the local planning framework."

Alot of the councils specifically allow them in their planning scheme text but there are a couple, Melville for instance which doesnt. So does that mean Melville doesnt allow?

The R-Codes require that the development "responds to a demand for single bedroom accommodation in the locality which is recognised in the local planning framework."
That is a "Design principle", which only applies if you can't meet the "Deemed-to-comply" requirements.

Alot of the councils specifically allow them in their planning scheme text but there are a couple, Melville for instance which doesnt. So does that mean Melville doesnt allow?
No.

Talking from a personal standpoint, I would live in a 1 bedder with a courtyard in a duplex/triplex.

Agree.

A 1 bedder with a garage (fairly common in Brisbane - but as apartments) is possibly more appealing for some than a 2 bedder with just a parking space. The garage can be used for storage (like the second bedroom) while guests can be accommodated on a sofa bed in the lounge.

It is desirable for the 1 bedder to have some space for a computer nook, study area or similar. This would likely make its build cost similar if not more than a 2 bedder without garage.

Back