Single Bedroom Dwellings in WA?

Something to keep in mind is that you need to pick your location very carefully. These units have been on the market for years.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-kewdale-112510615
Mind you, they are over 55s only, so that may be a factor. Originally listed in March 2013 for "from $445,000" then dropped to "from $399,000". Now listed as "offers". Not sure if they are ever been lived in.

Agreed. I think by having them as over 55s you really reduce your market though. Single Bedroom dwellings can be sold to anyone so instantly your market is WAY more - first home buyers, singles, divorcees, people with fur kids, retirees, downsizers etc etc

I had a chat to a planning officer at city of Joondalup today. I was informed that you can't apply for 5% variation for this sort of development and that you do not qualify for density bonus unless the whole development is single bedroom dwellings. So for R20 750m2 block you can't have a single house (450m2) and single bed (300m2) behind. Sort of went against my understanding of the R Code, though I'm probably wrong.

Can any r code experts clarify this? Is it just a City of Joondalup thing?

Well from my understanding, The criteria is that it shall only be applied where development is proposed.

Unless its in Joondalups TPS, then I would be looking further into their claim.

Something to keep in mind is that you need to pick your location very carefully. These units have been on the market for years.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-kewdale-112510615
Mind you, they are over 55s only, so that may be a factor. Originally listed in March 2013 for "from $445,000" then dropped to "from $399,000". Now listed as "offers". Not sure if they are ever been lived in.

Yeh this is a good point.

Doesn't look like an appealing location for over 55's.

Well from my understanding, The criteria is that it shall only be applied where development is proposed.

Unless its in Joondalups TPS, then I would be looking further into their claim.

There was nothing in the planning scheme re: single bed dwellings which was the main reason I was calling. Planner just said as per r codes.

I was contemplating doing something along these lines
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mullaloo-118302971

Retain front, build 2 single beds on the back (would need 5% variation). I think this location would be popular with young couples/down sizers.

There was nothing in the planning scheme re: single bed dwellings which was the main reason I was calling. Planner just said as per r codes.

I was contemplating doing something along these lines
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mullaloo-118302971

Retain front, build 2 single beds on the back (would need 5% variation). I think this location would be popular with young couples/down sizers.

Please watch out if you want to put them behind something. You need the 'effective' lot size to meet the criteria - so can't use common driveways to help meet it

BTW I have previously spoken to a town planner at another council and they didn't understand it at all. It is a rarely used part of the RCodes and rarely seen by most town planners.

Yeh this is a good point.

Doesn't look like an appealing location for over 55's.
It's not a great location for over 55's. It's on a corner and a reasonably busy road. However, across the road is a cinema, gyms, places to eat. It is a short walk to a bus interchange that has busses to Curtin, the airport the city or the Midland Train line. Also a short walk away is the local library and rec centre with gym and pool. I can see these places really appealing to younger singles/students. The developer might have to apply to council to have use changed because I really can't see over 55's wanting to live there.

Please watch out if you want to put them behind something. You need the 'effective' lot size to meet the criteria - so can't use common driveways to help meet it

BTW I have previously spoken to a town planner at another council and they didn't understand it at all. It is a rarely used part of the RCodes and rarely seen by most town planners.

Ok, so would need 280m2 min site area excluding common property, then average site area 300m2 cp inclusive?

This is what makes it such an interesting strategy - less competition for sites because not many people know about it.

Ok, so would need 280m2 min site area excluding common property, then average site area 300m2 cp inclusive?

This is what makes it such an interesting strategy - less competition for sites because not many people know about it.

This is the best policy I have seen written so far - from what I can see nothing is over or under the RCodes

http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/docum...icy_statements/planningdevelop_serv/apd56.pdf

And yes they do talk about having a mixture of single and normal.

I am building 4 single storey 1x1x1s in Ellenbrook near the town centre. Worked out at $132k each turn key including landscaping & fences etc.

I am building 4 single storey 1x1x1s in Ellenbrook near the town centre. Worked out at $132k each turn key including landscaping & fences etc.

Vassago

would you mind sharing your journey on this?

have you any pictures?

have you got a 2nd room that is encloseable?

Vassago

would you mind sharing your journey on this?

have you any pictures?

have you got a 2nd room that is encloseable?

Not much of a journey, purchased as a H&L package including NRAS entitlements ($40k pa). Just signed the paperwork and now waiting for construction to finish, I think the pads went down last week or are happening this week.

Cost $262k each, estimated market value $300-$320k each.

Will be cashflow positive $40-50k pa. :D

Last edited:
Not much of a journey, purchased as a H&L package including NRAS entitlements ($40k pa). Just signed the paperwork and now waiting for construction to finish, I think the pads went down last week or are happening this week.

Extreme kudos to you for realising the potential to stack NRAS on top Vassago.

Winner, winner, chicken, dinner.

Is there any reason in particular you didn't go the full 70sqm for your development or does the Council only allow 60qm there?

Is there any reason in particular you didn't go the full 70sqm for your development or does the Council only allow 60qm there?

The advantage / disadvantage of buying as a H&L package is I didn't have any involvement with the approvals etc.

I dug in my heals to ensure that each dwelling had separate meters (water, gas & elec) instead of sub-meters and making the final progress payment 20% instead of the 5% they proposed.

The builder has already tried to past the cost of the additional headworks to allow for separate water meters on to me but it is clear as day in the contract that it is included so they have minimal chance of getting it (additional $20k I believe that they didn't factor in).

Vassago you won lotto without buying a ticket. fantastic and well done.

so let me get this straight, if you have a property which falls short of subdivision, you can apply to have the property subdivided and build 1x1x1 using the 5% variation rule, then you can fill that lot with as many 1x1x1 so long you dont use the common driveway to calculate available land size?

So a 850 block would need 233m2 min without common property, then you could fill with say 3x 1x1x1's? (233/70=3.3)

so let me get this straight, if you have a property which falls short of subdivision, you can apply to have the property subdivided and build 1x1x1 using the 5% variation rule, then you can fill that lot with as many 1x1x1 so long you dont use the common driveway to calculate available land size?

So a 850 block would need 233m2 min without common property, then you could fill with say 3x 1x1x1's? (233/70=3.3)
I'm not sure you can use the 5% variation rule and the single bedroom concessions together. From what I have seen, it is either one or the other. Also, the single bedroom provisions only apply "where development is proposed". Check Part 5 C 1.4 of the R-Codes.

Jezza speak English!!

Ok so I'm assuming you are talking about an R20 block, yes?

No you can't have 5% variation on top.

An 850sqm R20 block could create 3 single bedroom dwellings. You need 233 per dwelling, then you create a dwelling which is 70sqm on that 233sqm.

Ohhh!!

Thanks for explaining myf :p

Will be interesting to see if the market accepts these!

What would constitute a "single dwelling demand" in the local planning strategy?

Talking from a personal standpoint, I would live in a 1 bedder with a courtyard in a duplex/triplex.

No strata management like in most complexes, so you can have a pet in your courtyard and do as you please a bit more. Start a small garden and such. Also appealing to retirees wishing to downsize.

All the bonuses of inner city living and low maintenance, combined with actually owning everything on the lot and being able to live as you please a bit more.

In fact the demographic of young professional couples and retirees share a lot of common wants for property.

Back