Single Mums with kids

this might open up a can or worms

Is it discriminatory to refuse a rental property to a single mum application with kids on centrelink?

are you asking for trouble renting to a high risk tenant (In my opinion)

any advices? on what basis can you refuse?

Hi there
we had an application in by someone on centrelink benefits - our PM recommended that we decline the application.
This particular PM office do have a policy when they are looking at people's wages that the rent should not be any more than 1/3 of their weekly wage.
I don't see any problem with declining an application if you feel the rent is outside that person's capacity to pay - whether they are a single mum or whatever their situation.
thanks

You can refuse on the basis that you dont want that particular tenant.

If you are stupid enough to tell the tenant that because she is an umarried woman with a child, that makes her high risk & typically, like all unmarried women with a child(ren) she does not know how to live & manage here life & bills, then expect trouble

I just had 2 applications, 1 with good rental history, 1 with any & reuiring to organise a deposit from Homeswest (whatever it's called now) - the pm gave me both details but recommended the one with the rental history, I agreed, then simple, I certainly didn't have to go into any detail to the tenant, the pm told them they were unsuccesful... Are you managing privately & thinking of how to say no to the wrong applicants ?

It is discriminatory if you SAY you're refusing because they're a single parent with kids. But you don't have to say that. You don't actually have to give a reason why.

Though I do rent one of my places to a single parent with kids who gets benefits from centrelink. I get the payment from centrelink first, and don't have any problems with the tenant.
Alex

Back