Single story vs double story

Hi guys,

This may seems to be a obvious question, but, if you were purchasing a villa / unit, does a double story seems more appealing to you?

Will it be correct to make this claim that a double story is more marketable?
And the asking price is significantly higher compared to single story?

Well if the land size were equal, double storey gives you more yard/landscaped area than single story, but you have the same internal size.
Can also be an advantage with views in certain cases.

Well if the land size were equal, double storey gives you more yard/landscaped area than single story, but you have the same internal size.
Can also be an advantage with views in certain cases.

In terms of ROI, obviously a double will cost more to construct, I am more interested to find out whether it's returns can justify the additional costs

An issue with double storey is that its not that good for people who may be looking to downsize as they get older.

I'm 60 and in good health but I wouldn't consider any property with stairs.

There were an article this weekend were one of the agents in Brighton was talking about the huge shortage of single storey townhouses ( or double storey with master bedroom downstairs) which are sought after by 50+ downsizers. He said double storey townhouses with all bedrooms upstairs only attract about 50% of the potential buyers...

double storey with master bedroom downstairs) which are sought after by 50+ downsizers.

I had built some of these years ago. Full en suite & master bedroom, living area etc downstairs and two other bedrooms/main bathroom upstairs. All 3 sold to older buyers who were downsizing but still have needs for the extra bedrooms.

Pity planning laws prevent us building more like this (absolutely minimal yards).

In terms of ROI, obviously a double will cost more to construct, I am more interested to find out whether it's returns can justify the additional costs

From my experience and from some of my friends, generally if there is not much of a price differentiation end sale in the area for 1 or two storeys, then obviously its better to go 1 storey as you will save costs.

Again there is no hard and fast rule, eg like Ace said if there were potential views to be capitalised on by going two storey, then that could outweigh its construction costs. So really needs to be judged on the merits of the individual site.

But definitely worth assessing IMO whether 1 or 2 storey is better, rather than just building two storey as many ppl seem to think will automatically yield better returns.

Last edited:
Back