Sink in island bench or at window

I'm in a bit of a dilemma whether to put a sink into an island or not. I've always lived with sinks at a window but my current design has the option of putting it in the island or at the window. Has anyone lived with both and has any advice on pro's and con's of each?

Both can work.

From a living experience I don't like it on the bench because it tends to have clutter around it - dishes on a drying rack, dirty dishes etc

BUT from a resale experience this is where most are now going. HOWEVER it really looks best if the island is deeper than 600mm so it needs to be 800/900mm deep that it doesn't just look like a bench with a sink in it.

I am in the design stage and the sink at the window makes more sense. The sink will couple with the dishwasher (and noise) nearby. It makes sense to cook at the window where the rangehood vents outwards more easily. The ability to look out of the window into the garden is soothing and makes the chef happier! Plaiting of the dishes and serving out becomes easy at the island unhampered by the sink.

Reno'ing a 60's 3 bedder now.
I've scrapped and moved the kitchen and made the kitchen/dining/living open plan (if I can get an engineer+builder to remove the load bearing wall).
The sink's going in the new island bench (800mm, not 600mm).

If you've got open plan with the kitchen, I like the sink in the bench; but if it's an enclosed kitchen or only a small dining off it in the same room then I'd put the sink under the window.
If you have a dishwasher, then there's little time in modern life spent washing dishes at the sink.
Also the island looks better to me with something in it, and I don't like having the cooktop there with a big extractor overhead, and the option of in-bench extractor is too pricey.

It makes sense to cook at the window where the rangehood vents outwards more easily. The ability to look out of the window into the garden is soothing and makes the chef happier!

Francesco, not sure what you mean by this. Do you have plans to have your cooker at the window - next to the sink?

When I eventually renovate my kitchen I am going to leave the sink where it is at the window and have a cooktop in the island bench. I will be removing 3 walls to make kitchen, dining and lounge in one big open plan area.

Both can work.

From a living experience I don't like it on the bench because it tends to have clutter around it - dishes on a drying rack, dirty dishes etc

BUT from a resale experience this is where most are now going. HOWEVER it really looks best if the island is deeper than 600mm so it needs to be 800/900mm deep that it doesn't just look like a bench with a sink in it.

I think this is correct and for me its about living, the clutter of family life around a sink would ruin the display home feeling pretty quickly. I would keep the sink at the wall and have the cook top on the island (with a big drop down range hood yeah that looks nice)

Francesco, not sure what you mean by this. Do you have plans to have your cooker at the window - next to the sink?

Yep. In one long bench along the wall.

In order from left along the benchtop: computer seating with leg space, hidden bin under bench, dishwasher, sink, some space for cooking, cooktop (rangehood above), wall oven. Above bench on wall is horizontal window stretching from sink to cooktop. Above window is a whole stretch of wall hung cabinetry.

Same stone bench continues in next room in butler's kitchen (with pantry opposite), door to outside clothes line, laundry sink, etc.

A good PM I spoke to recently recommends island benches or a U shaped bench with room for stools, to boost rental or sale value.

Makes sense in smaller buildings with say 100m2 internal or less where you want to maximize space and create an extra casual eating area.

Back