Sinkholes

At least in Florida you are covered by insurance, whereas in Australia you have no cover.
Not much use if you are dead, though.
Marg

But Marg...... let me tell you how the insurance works in USA, don't ever, ever claim you will never ever be able to get insurance again, not to mention you need to sell a kidney just to pay for insurance. :eek:

Invstor
the chances are so slim in Oz I would not be too worried, now if you were in Florida, well I believe insurance coverage for sinkholes is compulsory that has to tell you something.

I don't think they'll be slim in the not too distant future due to fracking. Sink holes are due to water eating away the limestone under ground. Fracking is forcing tons of water through manmade fractures in the ground underneath. It doesn't take a genius to work out what that means and we are doing more and more fracking.

Jen
I doubt there would be many people who have even heard of sinkholes, let alone as part of DD.
Not as common in Australia as US

I would have thought this kind of thing would show up in the due diligence process...?Cheers Jen

This one is covered by the Mine Subsidence Board since it is due to old mine workings. ;)
They plan to backfill the hole with quick drying concrete.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when a unit block disappeared into a hole created by the construction of the Lane Cove tunnel. They filled that with concrete too.

Hu , wonder if insurance covers sinkholes !
Probably not seems as they can get out of paying up for something like flood damage.

Back