Site Coverage vs Floor Space Ratio vs Height

Hoping someone can assist with interpreting some info in Council Residential Control documentation. We are looking at a residential flat building on a block just over 2300sqm.

We have 2 properties zoned R3, they have a maximum height of 9m, in the document it shows 9m is 1 storey, does this mean that the 1 storey is in addition to the ground level (first level) or does it mean that its just 1 storey from literally the concrete slab?

Site Coverage - The maximum site coverage of any residential flat development shall not exceed 30% of the site area.
Does this mean that we can only build on 30% of the entire block of land?

Floor space ratio 0.7 - can someone explain this in real simple terms please? I was initially told that this meant we could build on 70% of the total block.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Hoping someone can assist with interpreting some info in Council Residential Control documentation. We are looking at a residential flat building on a block just over 2300sqm.

We have 2 properties zoned R3, they have a maximum height of 9m, in the document it shows 9m is 1 storey, does this mean that the 1 storey is in addition to the ground level (first level) or does it mean that its just 1 storey from literally the concrete slab?

Site Coverage - The maximum site coverage of any residential flat development shall not exceed 30% of the site area.
Does this mean that we can only build on 30% of the entire block of land?

Floor space ratio 0.7 - can someone explain this in real simple terms please? I was initially told that this meant we could build on 70% of the total block.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Always refer to the definitions/dictionary of that particular planning instrument, definitions of these vary from council to council, but generally speaking

Site coverage - this is how much roofed area you can have and includes the main building, car ports, sheds etc

fsr 0.7:1 - this means you can have a gross floor area of 0.7 of the site, so if the site area is 1000sqm, you can have 700sqm of gross floor area (total of all floors, check definition of "gross floor area" as it varies and may be measures from internal or external of walls and may or may not include parking, vertical circulation, common areas etc

Cover means the area the building takes up, so it can take up more than 30% of the block.

Floor ratio means the area of all floor on all levels can't be more than 0.7 size of block.

So it means the building can 70/30 = 2.5 levels, 30% of block

I think

Hi, Would you mind noting which council this is in? You should check the definitions of the planning scheme. Each scheme has its own definitions.

Site Cover is usually based on roofed area. That is - carports, sheds, garages, patios and the main house. A 100SQM house on 4 storeys would take up 25m2 site coverage. A 25m2 house on one storey would take up 25m2 site coverage - as an example.

Building height is based upon either metres or storeys. Again have a look at the planning scheme for this definition as the council likes to define storeys differently.

I have no idea what floor ratio is, I have not come across it in my local councils. If you are still not sure, call a local certifier or ask the builder if you could speak to their certifier. The certifier will be able to answer your questions and describe them in laymans terms for you.

Back