Slab down, frame up next day!

Does anyone know if having the frame put up the day after the slab is poured will cause major issues? At 2pm Friday we went to check on the progress of our foundations & the slab must have been poured early that morning as it hadn't been there Thurs evening. Then the frame was put up on Saturday. A builder on a site across the road said it was greener than he would have done it, but he's seen it done before. Is this a big deal & if so what should I do about it?

I dont think it would be an issue Toons. I have poured many concrete slabs and stood concrete panels on them the next day and there fine. There are different mixes of cement and some will "go off" quicker than others and others will be harder so it depends what they used. Chances are you would only get a couple of little scuff marks on the concrete which will probably be covered with tiles or carpet anyway. Did they bolt down the framework or nail? If its bolted just nip up the bolts after a couple of days.

Cheers

Thanks Battle On,

so it won't shift & cause the frame to buckle & eventually the plaster to crack etc? I think it was only nailed down but not 100% sure. It's an M class slab about 200m2.

Thanks, was really panicking there.

Toon

Toon,
the concrete nails are designed for green concrete, If the slab hasn't been visibly damaged then it will be OK. i don't think anyone's ever complained here about their house being built too quickly!!

Cheers
Pulse

Our engineers state that we must pond our slabs for a week before building on them; we have very hot weather in summer though and this is designed to slow down the curing on the outside to minimize cracking. A local builder here has put up a house in 3 weeks and generally can smash them up in half the time most other builders would! True.

As the other guys have said I wouldn't worry about it if it is only the wall frames as they weigh stuff all. If they plonked the roof trusses and roof cladding on before a week was up I may be a little concerned but it still may not have a permanent effect on the slab (depending on what additives were in the concrete). It takes up to 2 years for a slab to completely cure.

As pulse said the nails are designed for this green concrete as a rule, we have built on a slab that has sat for two months and there was special guns, different nails and a bit of 'special language when the bottom plates were nailed to that slab.

Does anyone know if having the frame put up the day after the slab is poured will cause major issues? At 2pm Friday we went to check on the progress of our foundations & the slab must have been poured early that morning as it hadn't been there Thurs evening. Then the frame was put up on Saturday. A builder on a site across the road said it was greener than he would have done it, but he's seen it done before. Is this a big deal & if so what should I do about it?

Seems very soon to me (but i'd know 2/10's of diddly squat about it:D ), I'd defer to the Builders (yours and the ones on the forum, especially those who do the same style of housing), have you spoken to your builder?

Quick google brought this up PDF Building Curing

Concrete cures exponentially, from what I heard concrete roughly has 70% strength in 24 hours 90% in a week and 100% in about a month.

Other factors as mentioned already, strength depends on mix, weather, and even air humidity and if sun has shined on it, but we are talking some extreme circumstances.

House slabs do not fall into scientific category and close enough is good enough most of the times.

Back