Slacks Creek #5

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my most recent purchase which has just settled 6/3/15. I'm a 24 and get a huge kick out of seeing other younger guys /girls posting on here with their success stories so thought id share, this was purchased by me this time i used a buyers agent for the first qld purchase but thought it took the fun out of investing! i am a hands on kind of guy and wasn't renoing so thought id do a few trips up to qld and get on the ground.

The Property:
http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-slacks+creek-118019879
* 3 /1/ 2 highest in Slacks Creek and it is legal height downstairs so will covert into a 4bd to increase rent.

Negotiating : property was listed for 289k when i inspected 31/1/15 it had been reduced to 279k agent said owner was open to any offers so offered 248500 vendor came back saying they wouldn't except anything lower then 252K

The Numbers:

* Purchase price: $252000 / median 305k
* just secured a tenant to move in 11/3/15 for 360p/w
* 90% LVR inc LMI capitalised - total loan: $226000 from choice lend at 4.80% = $904 per month repayments or $226 pw. Interest only loan
* Approx other expenses: Council/Water/Enviro rates (approx $3200pa = Landlord insurance $1250 = 29.70 p/w, property management (approx $1544pa = $29.7pw).

cash flow pre-tax:
Income: $360pw /$18720 -$1544 management - council 3200- insurance 1250

left after expenses $12726

yearly i.o repayments 10848

= 1878 p/y or (+36.10 p/w)

The property needs some minor work prior to the tenant moving in had everything quoted as soon as it went unconditional so everything could be done before tenant would move in.

*rear balustrade needs replacing work getting done 9/3/15 $1100

*7 trees around the property cut down work completed 6/3/15 $1200

*decking on rear deck getting replaced 9/3/15 $800

*room downstairs being tiled as it was an unlevel concrete surface completed 7/3/15 $1500

*bathroom is getting regrouted 9/3/15 $175

*fix hole in bedroom $150 9/3/15

This purchase was mainly about the yield as i needed cash-flow to help offset the holding costs with #4 at Kippa ring. portfolio is currently $9850 positive a year after tax. Seeing young investors like Micheal x , Nixba posts inspired me to push harder and work out how i can make it happen as well.

Plan is now to sit tight and start planning a big trip to Europe

Big thanks to Jamie Moore for getting finance done so quickly and being a genuinely good guy and Michael X for taking the time to write back to all my questions and lastly my amazing property manager .

ill get some pics up soon

happy hunting!

Last edited:
Excellent work! It's very inspiring watching folks around here picking up places every week that actually put cash in their pocket, increase their serviceability for the next purchase and are in areas that looks likely to see reasonable growth as well.

Nearly 2200 people had a look at that listing online. Well negotiated.

Do you not take into account maintenance?

Rent at 48 weeks pa?

coastal i haven't taken in any maintenance on my calculation as i find its abit hard to predict I've done calcs on 52 weeks rent as thats what the tenants have signed up for. the property will be around 1800 a year positive on the 52 weeks so that should hopefully be enough to cover most maintenance issues, the last owner sent me through around 10k worth of maintenance they have had to take care of in the 6 months before selling it so hopefully with all that work plus the work I'm undertaking 'fingers crossed' it should be fairly trouble free.

Great job mate, big fan of Slacks creek, looks like a great buy!

yeah I'm cheering looked at around 15 high sets that day around kingston , logan central ,wood ridge , waterford west , beenleigh and defiantly liked slacks creek area the most

5 IPs at 24yo! You are killing it Tom :)

Buy well, add value, positive cash flow - recipe for success.

Well done!

thanks michael seeing all the c.f places you were buying really inspired me to get cracking how many more do you think you will buy in the logan region ?

Glad we could help.

New planning scheme in Logan looks like it will let you convert underneath to a granny flat and rent out separately too. Final plan not released yet but should be only a couple of months off

Excellent work! It's very inspiring watching folks around here picking up places every week that actually put cash in their pocket, increase their serviceability for the next purchase and are in areas that looks likely to see reasonable growth as well.

Nearly 2200 people had a look at that listing online. Well negotiated.

Thanks Richard! how did you go with your hunt for something under 350k? i started off hoping to do the same with a house around 15km out, but quickly realised i had missed the boat so decided to get one north and one south of Brissy instead.
Looking on real-estate.com plenty of places similar to what i bought have started to move in price already , so hopefully within 12 months ill do a reval and be able to continue buying!

Back