Slacks Creek

Hi guys,

I've been doing a fair bit of research on the area but thought I'd seek advice from those that live or have experience investing in the area.

Are their any "dodgy" areas of Slacks Creek? I know it's a tremendously general question but I haven't found much dirt on Slacks Creek (as opposed to Woodridge).

Cheers

Jamie

Last edited:
Hey Mortza,

I grew up in slacks creek and finished high school at Woodridge high back in the late 80's, and currently have an investment property there.

The area is nice and close to everything, as they have a number of major arterials and connectors that feed onto the business centres of Woodridge, Kingston, Underwood and also quick access to the Pacific Highway for Brisbane - Gold Coast manourvres.

I am up to my neck with the property at slacks creek at the mo, but that is due to bad tenants, and nothing else. (refer to my ongoing post about evicting tenants)

The area does keep out of the Limelight though, and the only claim to fame is that one of the guys from Savage Garden went to Mable Park High (in Slacks Creek).......WOW:)

I was living on the side that borders Woodridge, so the 'dodgier' area I guess (Kingson Rd area), but I don't think it was that bad. I think woodridge gets a bad name due to the very high quantity of government housing, resulting in a higher population of 'less fortunate' guys and gals. (I hope that is politically correct enough).

The main thing you have to ensure, apart from your DD of the area, is to fully screen your tenants, to ensure a 'relatively' hassle free process of getting your rent......and getting it on time!!

Cheers,

F

Hi guys,

I've been doing a fair bit of research on the area but thought I'd seek advice from those that live or have experience investing in the area.

Are their any "dodgy" areas of Slacks Creek? I know it's a tremendously general question but I haven't found much dirt on Slacks Creek (as opposed to Woodridge).

Cheers

Jamie

I know people who live in the area will be offended but its my opinion that it is a ferol area. There are some nice family homes in the area but so many ratbags too that spoil it.

We used to own a home there and so did family but all sold them due to the social problems in the area...way to close to Woodridge for my liking.

Take a google walk through the area and see what it looks like, if the houses are unkept and crappy you will prob gets tenants the same.

Hey guys

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at buying a 3 bedroom townhouse which should fetch $300 per week rent so this may assist in avoiding "ratbag" tennants.

The only worry I have with purchasing a townhouse in Slacks Creek/Woodridge is the high number of townhouses in the complexes that I'm interested in (both have 100+ townhouses). Which is obviously a concern when it comes to other townhouses in the complex competing for rent/sales. The high body corporate fees is another worry.....but I guess having a swimming pool is mandatory up north.

Hey guys

The only worry I have with purchasing a townhouse in Slacks Creek/Woodridge is the high number of townhouses in the complexes that I'm interested in (both have 100+ townhouses). Which is obviously a concern when it comes to other townhouses in the complex competing for rent/sales. The high body corporate fees is another worry.....but I guess having a swimming pool is mandatory up north.

No it certainly isn't mandatory.......

I tend to stay away from common utilities / services such as swimming pools, etc. That is why body corporate fees are as high as they are.

Just think, the more facilities you have access to on the common grounds of the complex, the more you will be paying for it, especially if something goes wrong with the pool, BBQ area, etc. Be sure to check the sinking fund!!

Cheers,

F

I know people who live in the area will be offended but its my opinion that it is a ferol area. There are some nice family homes in the area but so many ratbags too that spoil it.

We used to own a home there and so did family but all sold them due to the social problems in the area...way to close to Woodridge for my liking.

Take a google walk through the area and see what it looks like, if the houses are unkept and crappy you will prob gets tenants the same.

Each to their own Seashell.

I said the same things about Goodna, Inala and parts of Durack a while ago, and as they are also in a lower socio economic area (high % of government housing), provided you do DD and tenant screening, you can get some healthy IP's. (Goodna etc for Western Corridor and Slacks Creek for Brisbane - Gold Coast Corridor)

You have some valid points regarding the area..... I would never consider moving back there to live, but I would purchase additional properties in the area if the deal was attractive. You just have to do the numbers and undergo thorough screening of tenants.........just like anywhere really!!

Cheers,

F

I'm not overly concerned about the lower socio-economic aspect. I just wanted to make sure there were no particular streets/areas that were really awful.

On another note, I realise that some people on the forum feel that Logan's already made its dash in terms of capital growth and it might be some time until it picks up again. I see value in the 3 bedroom townhouse market for around the $240k mark, would like to hear others thoughts.

Back