Small bathroom reno

Hello,

We're considering doing a small reno on our PPOR bathroom early next year. Just wondering if people had a rough idea on costs for the below.

- Will be keeping bathtub, vanity and toilet (in its own room) as they are in good condition
- All fittings to be kept in same place
- New frameless shower installed with tile "step"
- Remove floor tiles in bathroom and toilet room and have these replaced (may do wall tiles in bathroom as well if not huge jump in price). Bathroom is about 7m2 or so

Thoughts? :)

If you're not moving around plumbing then it shouldn't be ridiculously expensive - but being in Canberra, nothing's really cheap.

Also, with bathroom renos - there can be unexpected issues that arise that can drive the price up.

The bathtub, vanity and toilet are three parts that make or break a bathroom. How good are the ones you have now?

Cheers

Jamie

The bathtub and toilet are good. The vanity is nice enough but a bit ordinary. I may consider getting something nicer to replace it.

You can get frameless shower screens installed for as little as $500. You should probably factor in 1K tho.

re tiles, will be cheaper if you can tile over tiles. Some tilers won't do this though and/or will be fussy about what size tiles can be laid over the top. Go to a tile factory outlet for your tiles, you can save up to 50%.

I have a cheap tiler who charges me tween $30-35 a metre to lay, but factor up to $60 per sqm, dependent on the sqm charge that tilers agree to in the area (I was going to do a reno in Dubbo and every tiler had a fixed fee of between $60-65per sqm). Much more expensive than I had experienced in Sydney.

Fitting and fixtures are cheaper if you can source them yourself. Just make sure they are suitable for the current vanity/shower.

the cost for a bathroom is like asking how long is a piece of string. Depending on whether you source anything yourself, the cost of the fittings/tiles and the trades you use it could vary from 3K to 15K.

The bathtub and toilet are good. The vanity is nice enough but a bit ordinary. I may consider getting something nicer to replace it.

I would - you won't regret it.

We recently had a bathroom in our PPOR renovated - after the tiles, the vanity is probably the most standout feature. We paid a fair bit for ours but they don't have to be too expensive.

As beachgurl mentioned - if you can source all the stuff yourself you'll save a bit of money. Always ask for a deal if buying the items in store too.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking the step might make the tiling and shower install more expensive? We have problems with our current shower leaking water from under the door and sides that nothing seems to have fixed which is why I want to replace it and redo the tiling to include the slightly raised step. The tiles have an annoying rough type texture which means they never look properly clean. Would you say a budget of 6-7k is reasonable?

If you are keeping the plumbing as it is, supplying your own bath, toilet and vanity, sourcing tiles and other accessories cheap, 7k seems reasonable.

Back