Small improvements on an IP

Hi guys,

I am currently waiting on my tenants to move out so that I can do some minor improvements to the property. Basically I want to improve street appeal and make some cheap mods to modernise the place, in order to attract better tenants and higher rent return. I am really asking for any advice on what you think I could do on a budget and by myself in a short time. It's a single storey brick, 3 bed 1 bath, about 13 years old. I've uploaded a few photos to show what it's all about, but here's what I'm thinking:

• Front facade - I'm thinking to add some street appeal I could render, bag or paint the brickwork at the front. It's pretty ugly in my opinion. I believe the cheapest option would be just to paint it but then it will need to be maintained. Any suggestions? The bush on the left is pretty high maintenance and drops a lot of litter on the driveway. I'm thinking of pulling it out and planting something a bit nicer.

• Kitchen - I hate this ugly laminate. I have read in Better Homes n Gardens mag that you can paint laminate with certain stuff to make it look pretty nice. Otherwise I will rip it up and replace it with a wider one to give a bit more of an overhang to eat on. I'm also going to put modern handles on the cupboards and a microwave shelf to give more bench space.

• Bathroom - I'll install a medicine cabinet and a modern water efficient tap. Replace any crappy silicon and grouting etc.

• Patio - My only real improvement since buying the property 7 years ago. I want to either tile it or have the slab painted. Can anyone recommend a solution to make the outdoor area nicer?

I'm also considering repainting and recarpeting if they are in crap condition. Maybe replace the curtains with blinds. The last few tenants haven't taken care of the place at all, and since I'm getting the police to come evict them I'm expecting to have to deal with some ruined carpets/walls!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 138
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Bath.jpg
    Bath.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Patio.jpg
    Patio.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 131
When spending money on improvements you need to work out what the benefits are.
Will it increase yield? Will it add value?

I don't think you need to paint the front. Trim the tree and maybe plant some small trees or shrubs out the front.
I'd leave the kitchen. It looks tidy and serviceable. Will it make a difference to the rent? If not leave it. When you say paint the laminate are you meaning the doors? You can do that but the colour is OK looking at the photo. I would buy an overhead. Up board to go where the clock is.
I also would not put in a shaving cabinet. What's on the left of the vanity? Maybe put in a bigger vanity and morrow. Can you move the power points to put a bigger morrow?
You can buy paving paint for the back patio. Paving would be expensive. Will it increase the value of the property?

I'd paint in warm colours to liven it up a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I said laminate I meant the kitchen bench.

I could definitely make a wider vanity and mirror in the bathroom, good point. To the left of that is the 2nd door though (it's a 2 way bathroom) so I'm running out of space a bit to move the switches.

I know it all boils down to a cost-benefit analysis since it's an IP and everything, and that a lot of people don't give a damn about fixing a rental, but I feel it's due for a make over. It's only 12 years old and it feels old fashioned, and hopefully a little injection will make it more attractive. After these mods I will get the property valued in order to look at getting another IP.

I agree that the kitchen looks fine for a rental. If it would benefit from painting and new handles, this is what our son did for around $1K in his first kitchen. (Benchtop was around $300 from Ikea but available through ebay for similar price, paint probably $100 or so, second hand cooker around $300 and new handles and tap) -

(Before)

(After)

That $1K also included two whote gloss overhead narrow cupboards on either side of the window (one above the red mixer and one on the other side (cannot be seen in this photo). They added much needed storage and brightened up the whole look.

The Other thing that "could" be done for (but might be a waste of money and if you ever plan on tiling, this would be better left undone) is to paint the patio with an epoxy paint.

We had an entry that was pretty "wow" but had cracked and lifted off what was a concrete floor. We tried to glue the dinner plate sized parts that had lifted but it looked rubbish. So I decided to peel it up. Half came off easily, just peeled, and about half had to be picked at, peeled and scraped. It took about four man hours to get it off and I then got quotes to have a new similar product applied for about $1500. I bought a two pack epoxy product, mixed it myself and painted the first coat in about an hour. Hubby helped with second coat and whilst it isn't the same as the original coating, I think it came up well and still gives a bit of "wow". It has an industrial look, a bit hit and miss, and a third coat would have given a more even finish, but I like the roller marks, and "unfinished" look so left it at two coats.

The product cost me $300 for enough for two coats. I had to work reasonably quickly and I don't know how it will wear, but the last coating lasted about 12 years with no damage. Had it not been rented, I believe it would still be going strong. Tenants just don't always care for floors like an owner does. Here are the photos (before, during and after).

This "could" work on an outside patio, is a cheaper option than tiles, looks great (but will it wear well???) and if you ever want to tile, I'd leave it as is.

Thanks for the tips wylie! I really like that kitchen upgrade, that's pretty much exactly what I was wanting to do. Thanks for the heads up about the slab epoxy, I'll look at doing that myself too. I probably won't tile it though.

Hi guys,

I am currently waiting on my tenants to move out so that I can do some minor improvements to the property. Basically I want to improve street appeal and make some cheap mods to modernise the place, in order to attract better tenants and higher rent return. I am really asking for any advice on what you think I could do on a budget and by myself in a short time. It's a single storey brick, 3 bed 1 bath, about 13 years old. I've uploaded a few photos to show what it's all about, but here's what I'm thinking:

• Front facade - I'm thinking to add some street appeal I could render, bag or paint the brickwork at the front. It's pretty ugly in my opinion. I believe the cheapest option would be just to paint it but then it will need to be maintained. Any suggestions? The bush on the left is pretty high maintenance and drops a lot of litter on the driveway. I'm thinking of pulling it out and planting something a bit nicer.

• Kitchen - I hate this ugly laminate. I have read in Better Homes n Gardens mag that you can paint laminate with certain stuff to make it look pretty nice. Otherwise I will rip it up and replace it with a wider one to give a bit more of an overhang to eat on. I'm also going to put modern handles on the cupboards and a microwave shelf to give more bench space.

• Bathroom - I'll install a medicine cabinet and a modern water efficient tap. Replace any crappy silicon and grouting etc.

• Patio - My only real improvement since buying the property 7 years ago. I want to either tile it or have the slab painted. Can anyone recommend a solution to make the outdoor area nicer?

I'm also considering repainting and recarpeting if they are in crap condition. Maybe replace the curtains with blinds. The last few tenants haven't taken care of the place at all, and since I'm getting the police to come evict them I'm expecting to have to deal with some ruined carpets/walls!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It looks like a little ripper. Thats what you want. A dozen of those bad boys and your all set. ;)

Get a water pressure blaster and clean the brickwork and driveway. It really brightens everything.
I'd cut back the scrubs and/or put something hard-wearing plants. Not sure what the wall/path is on the right hand side. I'd clean it up and plant it out. There seems to be bricks in the yard? or wall is not capped?
Street appeal is one of the easiest hooks to tenants and buyers alike.

Don't use the laminate paint. It comes off and marks easily. the bench looks fine.
The paint looks good to start with (maybe for a resales method) but looks ratty after a while.
I'd put the microwave nook in the back corner above where it is currently. But could you fill the bench to cupboard area (including behind stove) with the tiles? Cleaner look & easier to clean.
Changing to new handles is a great move. Make sure the doors close, open & fit. It makes the presentation & appeal stand out.
Get a matching cupboard above the Fridge area. I had one made in a laundry about the same size for about $300 installed in laminate.

Agree with the idea on the wider vanity if you wanted to. Stratco has a great vanity unit with mirror for about $110. Friggin heavy and you need two people to mount but has a mirrored front and looks clean.
Towel rails on the left there instead? Do you have any in there?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the patio area. the yard looks a bit bare but low maintenance is good. Good kids area or BBQ. Pressure washer the area for bad stains but the cement paint stuff can quickly look worn or spot and repairing can look dodgy.

Is the house in Brisbane? Does it have fans (cheap) or A/C? tenants love these up here.

Only do things that are broken or can deliver you a return, to your target market. Otherwise, you could be wasting your money.

good luck.

(Benchtop was around $300 from Ikea but available through ebay for similar price, .

That's a great makeover.

Don't mind the ikea parts in a kitchen. When something is worn or broken, easy to wander down (get a feed of meatballs) and a replacement part. Especially abused benchtops and hinges.

Cheers.

I wouldn't paint the benchtop. One cut and it would be ruined. The doors can come up well though (as Wylie has shown).

We've done that for a quick upgrade. New paint and handles and new lino strip wood planks. Photos below. Cheap.

We put in an overhead too. If we do a new kitchen down the track it will be the same as the overhead.
P.S. my husband took the last photo when he installed the overhead.

Attachments

• kitch1.jpg
    kitch1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 69
  • kitch5.jpg
    kitch5.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 81
  • kitch8.JPG
    kitch8.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 79
Back