Small Lot Code in BCC

Hi all, I have been under the impression, based on the word of a few of different people and my own (limited) research, that single level constructions can only have a single car garage. A house is in the early stages of construction not far from where I live on a 10*40 block (that I can only assume would be small lot code block) that has a double car garage.

I am a bit confused by this.

I have tried to read the small lot code council document, but it reads like egyptian to me, however I thought the idea of it was there were supposed to be restrictions on the building so the frontage wasn't "all garage".

Can anyone enlighten me on this one?

Thanks in advance,

Hey mate,

A friend is building a house on a small lot. His garage will be just under 5m wide, as shown on his council approved plans. According to him, anything under 5m is classed as a 'single' garage. Not sure exactly how it is worded in the small lot code, but this is how he explained it to me. Maybe the 5m 'single' garage would give the illusion of a 6m 'double' garage.....

Cheers,

Roundhogg

I have read the rules can be bent for certain circumstances. Can anyone list these scenarios?

I have seen a single storey house with a single garage and single door entry (built boundary to boundary) and a double garage with single door entry on a 2 storey house. In both examples the garage was at least 70% of the frontage

WilliamB - A single storey dwelling can only have single width garage. But what constitutes single width or double width? Well there's nothing written in the BCC planning scheme but the standard is set by the QLD Development Code of 5.7m min width for a double garage. So essentially anything less than 5.7m wide is considered a single width garage for this purpose. It is still wide enough to get 2 cars in but that's no issue. Yes the intent of it is so the garage doesn't dominate the look of the front facade, but on a 10m wide block that's going to dominate no matter what you do.

Tano - For a 2 storey dwelling you can have a double width garage so long as the top storey overhangs the garage by 1m. So like a balcony or something. To get away with not doing the overhang, just reduce the garage width to less than 5.7m as I mentioned above. Also you can only build to one boundary with a garage up to 9m in length, but definitely not built to both boundaries.

Back