small subdivision costs breakdown

I've searched through this forum and so far can't find much information on costs and charges from councils and utility authorities. Here is a detailed list of my old 2004 project which I abandoned.

It would be very useful for all of us if others could update these items for current date 2012 and for different shire councils.

Wollondilly: 2004 2 lot residential subdivision

COUNCIL FEES

Develop Applic 290
Planning NSW Levy 0
Construction Cert 0
Occupation Cert 0
Complying Develop Cert 0
Notification 110
Microfilming 30
Inspections @ 90 ea 0
Long Service Levy (2% total) 0
Concurrence Fee ($250) 0 (waived)
Admin Fee ($110) 0 (waived)
Sect 94 Contrib 8614
Council total 9044

WATER
Connection Fee 136
tendering costs 500
Connect to street 500
Plumber 500
Sewer Cut in 1000
developer charge 17000 (sewer)
submit applic 220
water board fee sect 73 300
Water total 20156

ELECTRICITY
Integral Energy 365
Connection etc 2000
Electricity total 2365

GAS
to meter 2m inside fence 495
to connect 55m inside fence 495
gas plumber 1000
gas total 1990

PHONE
Lead-in wire Siemens 500
Trench back fill 500
lay wire 200
Phone total 1200

DRIVEWAY
55 x 3m @ $20/sqm 3300
formwork 500
Driveway total 3800

DIVIDING FENCE
55m@ $25/m 1375
Fence total 1375

DRAINAGE TO FRONT
55m @ $35/m 1925
extra stormwater 7000
Drainage total 8925 (bad site) :(

SURVEY & PLANS
initial survey 500
plans 1000
DA prep 500
environmental report 500
Survey total 2500

SUB TOTAL 51355
+ 10% contingencies 5135

TOTAL 56490 :eek:
As can be seen, most of the costs are piddly except the Section 94, water developer, and drainage costs if the site is not an easy one.

I'd be interested to know if the biggest item, the water developer charge, is more reasonable these days.

Please share some figures from your own experience.

Hi,

Think you're a bit ambitious on the survey fees there! I've attached the recommended survey fee structure from the Association of Consulting Surveyors Victoria (ACSV). I know you're in a different state but the same types of surveys would need to be carried out, so I'd expect similar costs.

The surveys are broken into two stages.
1. Part A. Feature and Level Survey (also called an Identification Survey). They recommend 50% of the Re-Establishment of Title survey with a minimum of $720.
Part B. Site Analysis (Site and Context Description) Minimum Charge $1,470.

2. Part A. Re-Establishment Survey for a typical site $1,730.
Part B. Standard two-lot subdivision $3,875-$4,515.

These are all non-inclusive of GST. I'm not here to drum up business, but from companies I have worked for before starting my own practice, most people stick pretty close to these. Not many survey companies in my experience are happy going too much below the recommended fee structure.

I was personally speaking to the Surveyor-General John Tulloch this morning at a function for about half an hour and I brought up the issue of costing. I mentioned that as a young company we charge between 50-60% of the recommended fees. He said they don't want to make the same mistake that they did in the late 80's early 90's where people kept undercutting each other and the industry almost went bust.

So to summarise, don't be out expecting $500 for your initial survey and $1000 for the subdivision part. If you are paying this much I'd be questioning the integrity of the surveyor and if he is actually lodging the plans, as our fees to the authorities are expensive enough!

Sorry about the sermon, but this needs to be made clear for everyone to understand. Cheers!

Attachments

• ACSV Fee Structure.jpg
    ACSV Fee Structure.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,380
Many thanks for your input. It shows how naive I am. I'm revising my survey costs to reflect your figures.

Anyway, today I contacted 3 sources: Wollondilly Shire Council; also a surveyor who surveyed my block in 2004; also someone who's a partner in one of those firms that prepare water coordinator applications to Sydney Water.

I include no names to protect the innocent.

The official figures for my shire, my precinct (Res 3), is: for a 2 block subdivision: Section 94 contribution: $18,956 :(

All 3 agreed that the Sydney Water developer charge is now: zero :)) yippee).
(In 2004 I was quoted $17,000 for this.) :confused:

Misc council costs to submit a DA is about: $1,000

Wollondilly shire council verified what others have been saying about granny flats: Section 94 charges: zero ;)

The council also informed me that a boundary realignment (by which I could simply sell a piece of my land to a neighbour) would incur Section 94 costs of: zero :)

Most of my smileys are now happy.

Always good to have mostly happy smileys!

Out of interest is your Section 94 Contribution (aka Victoria's Open Space Contribution) have a fixed rate or is worked out on a percentage basis according to the number of lots like ours is?

The boundary realignment wouldn't incur a cost as you're not creating any new lots in the process, rather shifting the land from one title to another.

Cheers,

Back