Smartphones

Hi everyone, I know there are threads on phones, but they become obsolete pretty soon after they're posted. I'm going to be in the market for a smartphone soon. I've never had one. Any phone geeks on here that can recommend one? iPhone not an option, not in a million years.

Essentially, I am going to be using it primarily for my business - so something that is good with email and Skype (or Skype type programs) and will seamlessly transfer data from the phone to my laptop and vice versa (think Bit Torrent Sync). For example, if I get an email with attachments, d/l the attachment to the phone, then the file gets synced to my laptop.

As I am going to be spending the majority of my time overseas, having tech that is stable and reliable enough to keep in contact with my clients is of the highest priority.

I won't be using it for surfing the 'net and things like that - that's what my laptop is for - as I find looking at phone screens for more than a few minutes at a time difficult.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Samsung Galaxy
I've had most of its versions and it keeps improving. Good email access, good sound quality. Have dropped it 100 times and hasnt faltered.

My S3 has been great. S6 goes on sale next week, I think, if you're after the latest or possibly a great deal on the superseded model.

For example, if I get an email with attachments, d/l the attachment to the phone, then the file gets synced to my laptop.

Just use IMAP to collect your email. Then the email server, your phone, your desktop email software (outlook..?) will all have the exact same emails and folder structure.

(Or use gmail With an android phone, and IMAP to your desktop software.)

Just use IMAP to collect your email. Then the email server, your phone, your desktop email software (outlook..?) will all have the exact same emails and folder structure.

This.

I have a S4 and S5, very happy with them for business and personal use.

Preferably gmail or Exchange over imap

I prefer iPhone over samsung.

I'm probably not tech savy enough to appreciate the differences - and my younger brother is always trying to explain how much better the galaxy is...but I can't fault the iPhone. Been using one for years - it does everything I need.

Cheers

Jamie

Samsung note 4 - big enough to read things.

Don't go Apple. Security features means its very hard to connect to a new computer, can't access file directories and you have to use the silly and complex itunes.

Essentially, I am going to be using it primarily for my business - so something that is good with email and Skype (or Skype type programs) and will seamlessly transfer data from the phone to my laptop and vice versa (think Bit Torrent Sync). For example, if I get an email with attachments, d/l the attachment to the phone, then the file gets synced to my laptop.

This isn't much of a phone issue, rather you need to have your email appropriately hosted so you can receive it on both platforms. GMail does this easily, I do my email hosting under an MS Office 365 subscription which works very easily as well across my phone and PCs.

For syncing files across your phone and laptop, use Dropbox or one of several other virtual drive solutions (Skydrive is the MS solution, integrates with Windows 8 & MS Office very well).

Any current Android or Windows phone will accommodate all this very easily. I have a Galaxy S5 Duo which is awesome. Two SIM cards, one for personal, one for business.

I know there are threads on phones, but they become obsolete pretty soon after they're posted.
Spend $120 and try an unlocked 3G 5" Android 4.4 like this one. When it gets a scratch on the screen or dropped down the toilet or pinched, chuck it in the bin & get a better one cheaper. No point in spending $$$ on an i-anything or similar IMO. Regardless, it's good as a backup.

Don't go Apple. Security features means its very hard to connect to a new computer, can't access file directories and you have to use the silly and complex itunes.

Agreed. Copying files to and from the storage on my android is super easy. And they don't suddenly dissapear when iTunes updates, which I hear about quite frequently.

Spend $120 and try an unlocked 3G 5" Android 4.4 like this one. When it gets a scratch on the screen or dropped down the toilet or pinched, chuck it in the bin & get a better one cheaper. No point in spending $$$ on an i-anything or similar IMO. Regardless, it's good as a backup.

Yeah. Or $200 on something you can pick up in store like this:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/Ou...e-blade-vec-3g-dual-sim-handset-black/641716/

It all probably depends on how you plan to pay for said phone & if you're a tight person like myself.

I've never been on a plan & only buy them straight out.

I cannot bring myself to pay more than $300 for a phone & think that both the Samsung & iPhone are overpiced.

I just purchased my son an Asus Zenfone 6.
I'm sure the specs are not as good, but this phone is very similar to a Galaxy Note4 or iPhone 6+ on the surface & quite a capable phone. My son (17yo) does all the usual stuff, email/skype/fb/netflix etc etc. and gives it a big tick of approval.

I use a Moto G gen2 and find it adequate to do anything I want.

The missus uses a work supplied Galaxy Note 4 - now this is a great phone - but I could never hand over the $900+ required :eek:

The other thing to consider is accessories like cases as it seems there are only 2 makes of phones in this world - Samsung or iPhone - at least according to most places I've visited.

Still waiting for some cases/screen protectors coming in from China for the Zenfone.

You've timed the new shop well just after CES and Mobile World Congress where most of the flagship phones for the year are announced.

So many votes for Galaxy... my husband has a Galaxy S5 and he has so many issues compared to my 2 phones - HTC M8 for business and Sony Xperia Z2 for personal use.

Galaxy seems to have a lot of bells and whistles that don't seem to work consistently like the eye movement thing, the touchless screen etc that only work in ideal circumstances. Battery life is pretty cr@p and in places where I have reception with Virgin my husband does not.

HTC is good for battery life and people say they can hear me a lot clearer on the HTC vs the Sony when using it as a phone. Has front mounted speakers that are loud and clear.

My Sony is waterproof so that suits my lifestyle though I did have 1 issue with it where I had to send it back for warranty repair. As mentioned before call clarity doesn't appear to be as good as the HTC, battery life is similar and also has front facing speakers but now as powerful and as good quality as the HTC.

It also depends on how much you want to spend too. There's some half decent 'new' brands out now with pretty good specs but I haven't used them personally.

I'm thinking even specs like screen resolution, LCD vs AMOLED, camera specs, IP rating etc aren't really going to be important to you so as Keith mentioned anything with Android OS will do what you want so might be worth getting one of the no frills entry level phones.

Also consider HTC M8 or M9 - speaker on the front so it has good volume. the sound quality also quite good. And personally I think it looks and feels better than Samsung

I've used the Kogan Agora 4G overseas- for a little over $200. 5" 4G with a good camera in normal light (not so good for night shots).

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107391

I have had one issue. In some countries I've had trouble with the time zone, and have had the phone automatically changing itself. In Panama it would put the time forwd by half an hour, one other place by one hour. From the research I did, it was an Android issue rather than a problem with this phone. No changes to settings stopped this happening - and as it sometimes happened overnight, could have been a major issue for waking up for a flight had it not been for my iPad mini, which performed flawlessly wherever I was.

Edit: a minor issue is that it uses a micro sim rather than a normal sim. IN one place I had to go to a second shop to find a micro sim.

You may also want to have a dual sim, if you want international roaming to receive calls, but a local sim to make calls or for Internet access.

When it gets a scratch on the screen or dropped down the toilet or pinched, chuck it in the bin & get a better one cheaper. No point in spending $$$ on an i-anything or similar IMO. Regardless, it's good as a backup.

HaHa........And it's more common than you think.

I got my Moto G last xmas morning and proceeded to drop into the toilet within the first 15mins (yes, prior to using the loo)

Good news is it's still working great after a 24hr dry out :D

I use a Moto G gen2 and find it adequate to do anything I want.

These are a great bang-for-buck phone. No crappy samsung software tacked on either. I got my wife and my brother onto Moto G. Unfortunately, my Kogan Agora hasn't died yet, so I don't need a new one.

I have an iPhone and a Galaxy. Both paid for by work in a hilarious turn of events.

One thing I will say is the iPhone 6 has better battery life.

That is about the only thing I care about. I reckon I use 10% of the capacity of a smart phone, both for private use and work. Couldn't care less about screen definition and all the other crud. Makes calls, sends texts, takes photos, emails and I can do my internet banking via an app.

If you are like me, any of them will do.

Back