SMH- Rent law revamp to lure investors

Dear All,

1. Can anyone please advise/confirm when the new Tenancy laws will officially take effect in NSW?

2. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Great, it's about time they did something to address the housing problem.

Now, they should also give us an $100/week landlord's allowance (per property)
and free movie tickets every week or the rents are going up again...:)

Alternatively, JHoward should make PPOR loans tax deductible.
This will solve the housing crisis and as a bonus he will get re-elected to power as well... :)

Cheers

water costs.

"Many renters will also find they have to pay water charges currently borne by their landlords, Fair Trading Minister Linda Burney has told Fairfax newspapers."

My tenant currently pays for water usage and I pay for the actual service/infrastructure charges etc.
Will this mean that the full water bills will be paid by tenants now?

Rent law revamp to lure investors]Rent law revamp to lure investors
TENANTS face swift eviction if they fall behind in their rent and many will have to pay water charges currently borne by landlords, under the first big overhaul of NSW's tenancy laws in 20 years.

But tenants' rights will also be boosted. If landlords default on their mortgages and their properties are repossessed, tenants will be guaranteed at least 30 days' notice to move out.

And for the first time, renters who need to move out of a share house or a relationship will be able to be apply to have liability on their part of the lease waived.

Other planned changes include:

■ A right to a reduced rent if a landlord puts the property up for sale and prospective buyers traipse through;

■ Greater rights for tenants to put up pictures or paint properties;

■ Water charges to be levied on all tenants in properties with separate meters to provide "uniformity". A similar move in public housing resulted in a 29 per cent cut in water use;

■ Powers for the tenancy tribunal to remove tenants from databases that real estate agents use to reject applicants;

■ Cancelling eviction notices if a tenant can pay their rent arrears before the eviction date

One step forward... ten steps back.

If the tenant doesn't pay rent they will be forced to leave sooner.

The rest of the changes appear to benefit the tenant, I especially like this one.

Tenants in share houses, or those involved in relationship breakdowns, will be able to apply to have their liability for half of the lease waived

What the :eek: ... can I get the same deal on the mortgage.

There was some discussion on ABC Newsradio today.

Apparently the laws are intended to make properties more attractive to investors. With 1.5% vacancy rate, rental accomodation in Sydney is at a critical state.

Although a comment was made that removing property taxes for investment properties would do far more to encourage property investment.

Although a comment was made that removing property taxes for investment properties would do far more to encourage property investment.

What? Removing property taxes? Now I'm really listening? Might go looking for a podcast ... have you any more information?

DJ

Yeah, I have to say that unless a tenant is a painter, or my property a dump, I would not want a tenant painting my house. AND I would want to choose the colour scheme. After all it is MY house.

Back