smoke alarm testing coys

We are just signing contracts with a new property managr and have not signed the smoke alarm testing company agreement as we normally send the tenant an email at daylight saving time saying they should test it and replace batteries and notify us they have done so. The pm is saying we have to have this service and implying it is the law. I believe it is the tenants responsibility to do this in Vic. Can anyone clarify?

Tenant is responsible to change the batteries, and report if it's not working.

No law in VIC that a professional has to come through, it is just recommended to cover your a** and the PM.

Remember they all have an expiry date. I know i wont climb a ladder and check the date on the alarm. Suggest you check the dates & record

Not law, but another one they are trying to pass. However, I believe building owners are responsible for maintaining the smoke alarms and fire safety of a property - separate to the residential tenancies act.
Call one of the smoke alarm companies pretending to be a tenant and ask about the law that applies to your landlord ;).

Property management is risk management, a part of mitigating risk to you is that they offer the service, by doing so they also cover their backside!! :D

Back