smoke alarms

I have a smoke alarm in my IP in Seaford. The real estate agent managing the place has sent a request to get this looked at for a annual fee of $70.

I am not sure the condition of the smoke alarm or battery.

Is there a cheaper option?

Mexican,

It has been covered here just recently:
Smoke alarm compliance

My own feeling is that a PM worth their management fee will test it for you and you just have to make sure to get the battery changed as recommended. The guidelines for smoke alarms are quite clear and the requirements can be fullfilled without paying an annual fee. Some will be happy to hand over $70 - $90 a year but I'm happier to have a helpful PM.

Gools

the guidelines for vic are where?

I have an alarm in the hallway and I was told a professional knows where to place it and how to check it because someone was sued for millions over a faulty smoke alarm.

the guidelines for vic are where?

I have an alarm in the hallway and I was told a professional knows where to place it and how to check it because someone was sued for millions over a faulty smoke alarm.

Can they name the case and the facts of it? This is nonsense, just a PM seeking to shift potential liability onto a third party (the inspector) or the owner in the extremely rare event of a fire. I've said my peace in the thread Gools refers to.

As for the guidelines, it's actually a requirement for every Victorian home to have a smoke alarm. Here is the MFB's summary of what's involved: http://www.mfb.vic.gov.au/Community-Safety/Home-Fire-Safety/Smoke-Alarms.html (there is no reference to who must undertake the regular testing.)

I was just told you need to have a smoke alarm 1M from every bedroom in the hallway.

I have 2 alarms as the hallway doesnt service both bedrooms.

Can they name the case and the facts of it? This is nonsense, just a PM seeking to shift potential liability onto a third party (the inspector) or the owner in the extremely rare event of a fire. I've said my peace in the thread Gools refers to.

As for the guidelines, it's actually a requirement for every Victorian home to have a smoke alarm. Here is the MFB's summary of what's involved: http://www.mfb.vic.gov.au/Community-Safety/Home-Fire-Safety/Smoke-Alarms.html (there is no reference to who must undertake the regular testing.)

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure it's all nonsense actually. I don't know of the case where someone was sued, but it probably goes a little further than what one would imagine as just protecting one's backside.
I'm an Electrician, and I know under AS/NZ 3000 wiring rules for all new homes,
Smoke alarms must be fitted to a new dwelling. Not just your $5.00 battery twin packs from Bunnings either. They must be hard wired, and they have to meet the code intended. Now if this is a must meet regulation for all new homes, where it is either Owner occupied or Rental tenant - there is no differentiating between the two in regards to the regulation on a new home, then why would that not also apply to a home built 20 yrs ago and is on the rental market.

Not all the rules and reg's meet each others requirements, and this alone is favourable if something is taken to court

I'm an Electrician, and I know under AS/NZ 3000 wiring rules for all new homes,
Smoke alarms must be fitted to a new dwelling. Not just your $5.00 battery twin packs from Bunnings either. They must be hard wired, and they have to meet the code intended. Now if this is a must meet regulation for all new homes, where it is either Owner occupied or Rental tenant
Hi Railglider.

Just to clarify; the hardwired alarms are only required for new properties. Is that right?

The battery operated type are still ok for older properties. Yes? No? Maybe? Tick whichever applicable.

Regards
Marty

Hi Railglider.

Just to clarify; the hardwired alarms are only required for new properties. Is that right?

The battery operated type are still ok for older properties. Yes? No? Maybe? Tick whichever applicable.

Regards
Marty

The battery operated type are still ok for older properties.
"Yes that is correct."

Hard Wired Smoke Alarms

My RE has told me that the tenant has been told by "Smoke alarms Solutions" that the 2 hard wired smoke alarms that we had installed 5 years ago have to be replaced and rewired???

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Why in the world did I bother getting hardwired ones if they only last for 5 years!!?? :eek:

My RE has told me that the tenant has been told by "Smoke alarms Solutions" that the 2 hard wired smoke alarms that we had installed 5 years ago have to be replaced and rewired???

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Why in the world did I bother getting hardwired ones if they only last for 5 years!!?? :eek:

If you're registered with smoke alarm solutions, they will have the alarms replaced costing you nothing other than the annual fee you pay.

How could you not know this?

I have just settled on a property with an agent that was the PM for it for the last 12 years.

One of the conditions that I stipulated in the offer was that smoke detectors be installed as none were present.

Believe it or not, the agent (and we are talking about a high profile agency with over 25 years experience) actually wrote back that smoke detectors were an optional accessory and if I wanted them, I should install them myself.

After emailing the agent the act and the requirements of all landlords and PM's he then tried to spin a line about the alarm being a hard wired detector.

Moral : Always know the legislation.

Goodness me Chilliblue! YOU had to email THEM the Act???

If they got such a crucial legal requirement wrong - something that is relevant to every single one of their landlords - how can you have any confidence in them?

Back