Smoking

What started smokers to start smoking.... I feel that I am getting pasted the just have a few when im on the **** wid my mates....

A lot of people I know started just having a few with mates, then only when you're out, then when you have a beer, then when you have a coffee....

Don't understand it, never tried it, never will, it costs a lot, not good for ya, smells disgusting, wouldnt want to taste it! haha

Quit while you're ahead

i have just started again after a big layoff...........hate myself!

causing no end with health probs, all my own doing...

too much work pressure currently, plus i really missed having a puff, especially after a good meal and or while having rum and coke...booze and smokes seem to go hand in hand...

its a mongrel habit to kick permantly!

never smoke inside the house or while driving....i can drive 1000km non stop without a smoke but as soon as i stop out come the fags automatically...

hard for non smokers to understand but the craving is sometimes unreal...some say its easier to kick heroin than nicotine...

cough cough!! im a drug addict and i didnt even notice it!

started when i was 9 actually so been smoking for many years....started cause a mate bought a packet while i was on holidays in gladstone and we shared 5 each straight up, Craven A's then the next day Lucky Strikes, my God!! got the biggest head spins, staggered home, vomited my heart out and been hooked ever since, go figure!! makes no sense really.......

I gotta give up for good or Im dead within 10 years for sure or less...already have COAD from it...pine box next i recon...

Anyone have a light?? or just give me an uppercut which is probably more wise....

I started as a 12 year old (gives me a heart attack thinking about my own kids doing the same) purely because all the other kids were. Quit during pregnancy #1 and then started shortly after the birth when my first son cried uncontrollably all day every day with severe reflux. Quit prior to pregnancy #2 and since son 2 was born I smoke about once a week, usually to remind myself why its gross or after a particularly heavy day. I know - strange psychology there.

Alysha

www.gatherumgoss.com

If there's one thing in life worth doing, it is giving up smoking.

I've had a lot to do with the morbidity it causes as a health professional.
Lung, mouth, and throat cancer; COAD, ARDS, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, heart failure, and associated increased risk of all forms of cardiovascular disease....they all really suck, and you don't get a lot of sympathy from hospital staff for self inflicted disease. One of the most memorable patients I cared for died a slow and painful death from lung cancer....every day, I helped him cough up the blood and dead lung tissue that pooled in his lungs and was slowly reducing lung surface area for exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. The guy was 52, had been a hard manual worker and had had a good strong physique before his muscles wasted away due to lack of movement and oxygenated blood. He couldn't walk 20 metres when I first met him. In the last 2 weeks, his Oxygen saturation went downhill quickly, first 88% (normals are over 98%), then all the way down to 60%, as he became exhausted from the work of breathing, and eventually died in ICU, a spent force. The slow suffocation he went through was obvious from the horror and anxiety in his eyes.

I smoked intermittently when I was 15-17, cos I wanted to fit in with my peer group and do something manly and out there. Then I decided to focus on my health and fitness. The best thing I found to keep the craving away when out with the mates and drinking was exercise and a good square meal of veges and small piece of meat. I used to run regularly and the endorphins from that seemed to keep away any nico craving.

There's nothing intelligent tough or popular about smoking. It is what people do when they aren't dealing with their stuff.

I quit 15 years ago, having smoked like a train since high school. It was SO cool back then to crack open a pack of smokes and pass them round. That's what got me started - advertising aimed at teenagers.
I'm still working on my quit smoking eBook, but property stuff just keeps getting in the way.
One step at a time ...
www.changeyourlifein30days.com

... and you don't get a lot of sympathy from hospital staff for self inflicted disease.

i recently read an article from an intensive care physcian venting his frustration that 80% of the beds are full of people with preventable diseases (ie, self inflicted thru smoking, drinking, overweight etc).

i wonder if the cost to the healthcare system has ever been totalled as a percentage?

my grandfather smoked. he died of emphysema-related pneumonia.

my grandmother smoked and quit.

my uncle smokes like a chimney - 2 heart attacks and a bypass later he still is.

my dad smoked since before i was born up until i was 18. then he quit and has lost all sense of smell and taste.

my wife's mum smokes like a chimney. chain smoker - will nearly light one off the end of the other - has an addictive personality. her coughing sounds like my grandfather's.

if my kids smoke i'll spike 50% their ciggies with LSD and 50% with firecrackers to induce mental scarring from the shock of it all - provide that association with smoking for hope they never touch the stuff again and leave patches lying around everywhere in the hope they get the hint.

nicotine is dangerous stuff. i will not stand by and watch my kids take up such a detrimental habit.

Yeh bad habbit.
Started 18 months ago.

Just quit, because its unhealthy and was smoking 1-2 packs a day.

Not cool. Not for the health either.

Stinks, unhealthy, and uncool. But as all smokers know, its a habbit, fun, comforting, and is enjoyable.

Thats how most smokers start burty.

Last edited:
I started as a 12 year old (gives me a heart attack thinking about my own kids doing the same) purely because all the other kids were. Quit during pregnancy #1 and then started shortly after the birth when my first son cried uncontrollably all day every day with severe reflux. Quit prior to pregnancy #2 and since son 2 was born I smoke about once a week, usually to remind myself why its gross or after a particularly heavy day. I know - strange psychology there.

Alysha

www.gatherumgoss.com

I think you are in denial.......cute babies!

When I was 16, most of my friends were smoking. For me it was peer group pressure but I was never a big smoker. Just a social one, mostly weekends and I could never afford to buy a packet. I stopped the social smoking when I met my husband at 18.

Quite easy really. I believe it is much harder if you are addicted.

Regards JO

if my kids smoke i'll spike 50% their ciggies with LSD and 50% with firecrackers to induce mental scarring from the shock of it all - provide that association with smoking for hope they never touch the stuff again and leave patches lying around everywhere in the hope they get the hint.

Ha, love it! Very effective I would imagine, you'd just better hope they don't like the LSD too much or you'll have a whole other problem on your hands.:eek:

It was SO cool back then to crack open a pack of smokes and pass them round.

See, that's the thing;

It's all about your own perspective on this.

I never, ever, at any stage thought it was cool when I was a kid - I thought it was dumb.

Now trying to train my son to think the same - it isn't cool - no matter what the kids and the ads say.

NOT smoking is cool.

Smoking is just being one of the sheep.

See, that's the thing;

I never, ever at any stage thought it was cool when i was a kid - I thought it was dumb.

Trying to train my son to think the same - it isn't coll, no matter what the kids say.

NOT smoking is cool.

Smoking is just being one of the sheep.

But the majority don't smoke... aren't sheep the crowd ? :D:D

But the majority don't smoke... aren't sheep the crowd ? :D:D

yeah, I agree; I think this is the case these days, happily.

But back when I was a kid, it was very common to smoke.

There wasn't the same knowledge about the dangers of smoking that there is now...which makes you wonder about the overall intelligence of humans if - in this day and age - they still choose to do it.

Lung cancer - "it won't happen to me" :rolleyes:.

wow, timely subject.
My mum just told me tonight my uncle has lung cancer and is in for more tests on Mon and Tue. Looks like its going to get bad from all accounts. Hes always been a couple a day smoker but its caught up with him now and I bet he wished he had never started.
I was put off it in school when they showed us dissections of lungs and cancers from smoking. Best thing they could have ever done. Hope its still in place today to show the kids what awaits if they want to take it up.

Back