SMS through the internet

Hi all, we're looking for a cheap and easy way to send SMS's from a PC. At the moment we use SMS Global who charge 8.5cents per SMS, we send thousands a month so it adds up. You can get mobile phone plans for $30 per month that have unlimited SMS's and would be a lot cheaper but from my understanding you can only SMS from the actual handset. We have 10 staff so throwing the handset around to each other all day would be annoying and inefficient.

So, my 2 questions are:
1. Does anyone know how to send SMS's from your PC but using the credit on your handset/simcard? Vodaphone told me they used to sell software for this but they don't know if it's still available.
2. Or does anyone know a site where we can send cheap SMS's over the internet - (less than 8.5cents per SMS)?

Thanks all
David

"Fair usage Policy" will be imposed if you are using it for business and excessive sms.

8c is for local numbers (is a good price)
but around 2 or 5c if you let them use international channels (and numbers)

"Fair usage Policy" will be imposed if you are using it for business and excessive sms.

8c is for local numbers (is a good price)
but around 2 or 5c if you let them use international channels (and numbers)

Thanks mflying, we can get an actual business plan and we're talking a couple of hundred SMS's a day at most, no more than youre average teenager I would imagine so I don't think it would breach a "Fair usage Policy", but I would need to go through the T&C's when signing.

Any idea where I can find out more about these international channels?

Yeah, you used to be able to get software from Nokia to do this on your Nokia phones from your desktop - connected either via cable or via infrared.

I've not seen an Australian provider offering less than 8.5c per SMS ... haven't looked at OS providers.

Thanks mflying, we can get an actual business plan and we're talking a couple of hundred SMS's a day at most, no more than youre average teenager I would imagine so I don't think it would breach a "Fair usage Policy", but I would need to go through the T&C's when signing.

Any idea where I can find out more about these international channels?

you are taking 200 X 20 working day = 4000 msg (definitely not teenager quota)

Try:
http://www.messagemedia.com.au/business/pricing

p.s not affiliated in anyway.. recommendation only

For work, I wrote software to use 4 GSM modem (used to be Nokia phones) to send about 20,000 SMS per year. Each phone has a capped Vodafone plan and cost works out about 2c each.

Works both ways and receives SMS as well.

Much cheaper than online platforms, but downsides:

- you have to write the software and no you can't have this because it's not mine, it belongs to the company. (Also runs in Linux not PC).
- need to watch the volume does not exceed any caps, price goes up then
- having 4 phones means 4 external numbers. Online platforms like Exetel can have just 1 number, even a name.

Thanks for all your help SS's, just found a website who charges 4c a message which is half the price we were paying before.
David

I use Mightytext to sms from my PC
It's free.
But it needs an Android phone

Go to mightytext.net to find out how to install on your PC and your Android mobile.
And it needs a gmail account for it to work but that gmail account doesn't need to be your primary account. If you don't have a gmail account, you just need to create one for Mightytext to work but the gmail account doesn't need to be your primary work email account.
Mightytext does not store user name and password, it relies on gmail for that.
And Mightytext needs a Chrome browser.

Back