SMSF, $200k, 2 trustees (1 x 2022 retirement). Ideas?

SS is my first point of call, but not my only. The below scenarios are a fusion of reality, supposition, fiction and assumption. I'm just after some food for thought.

- Ann may need to retire from full time work (health reasons) as early as 2022. At latest, 2024.
- Ann has passive income streams, which currently deliver $5-$10k annually.
- Ann will be able to maintain these income streams into retirement.
- Ann will own her home by retirement.
- Ann can initially retire on meagre SMSF returns, as long as they'll increase annually, on their own.
- Bob won't need to rely on super in his retirement (2024).
- Bob and Ann will merge super funds, with the sole intent of setting up Ann for retirement.
- Once merged, the SMSF balance will be $200k, with $10k minimum added annually for the ensuing decade.

The main question is how best to generate a reasonable passive income stream for Ann in retirement, over the next decade, through the SMSF.

Whether to, for example, immediately deploy $100k towards an IP (80% lend), $50k for holding costs until CF+ and $50k into high yield shares then buy second IP once feasible. Or whether to be more aggressive in acquiring property through the fund to build a bigger asset base (to potentially sell down in part later), whether to diversify more initially etc.

Looking forward to some ideas and input.

Invest most in high yielding shares, train ann not to focus on day to day share movements.
Property to lumpy and too much in one asset class. Repairs could blow pension in one year. No property mgmt, insurance, rates, etc

Thanks bbe. If going down the no property/high yield shares path, I'd look towards index funds to make up a decent component (25%-33%+) of total share investment for some stability too. Thoughts?

And cheers Terry. I didn't know how this aspect worked at all, time for some reading.

I'm eager for more input from others too. Bring it on :)

I tend to do direct share investments. We have an smsf with properties and shares. Our retirement time frame is 10 years. The properties will be paid off in 6 years.

Nothing more to add, Terry is correct, accounts are strictly kept. Property is a great investment in smsf, but should not be the only thing in the fund.

With 10 years to go I'd be hesitant to do anything high risk. There are a number of people who thought they'd be retired by now who got burnt by GFC as they had kept their Super on high risk mode instead of moving it to low risk for their impending retirement.

How much does Ann need to retire on if Bob is working?
How much do Bob and Ann need to retire on?
Are they eligible for pension?

Ann may be entitled to pension OR disability pension if she needs to retire before her retirement age due to health reasons. Her small income won't affect the pension much.

westminster, Ann would need $35k annually (pre-tax). Assume Bob never needs to rely on income from the fund. Ann will reach pension age 5-7 years after planned retirement age.

Probably won't quality for disability pension.

Back