SMSF to purchase my IP?

Howdy

Im looking at setting up a SMSF - I would have enough funds to purchase outright our current IP. Is this allowable for a SMSF to purchase property from one of the trustees at the current market valuation?

:confused:

I'm not sure if it is possible- but is it advisable?

At this stage in the cycle especially, there are investments which would probably give you a far better rate of return. The share market is going strongly at the moment- experts are saying that it has some time to run yet- and some good funds are available - for instance, this share fund which returned 17% in the last six months.

Wazza007 said:
Howdy

Im looking at setting up a SMSF - I would have enough funds to purchase outright our current IP. Is this allowable for a SMSF to purchase property from one of the trustees at the current market valuation?

You can't purchase an IP of yourself into a SMSF unless it's your place of business. Not sure about if it's in a trust but an educated guess would be that it's ok to do so .

Onething to think about is that you loose the gearing advantages of property in a SMSF as you can't have a mortgage on anything that is owned or part owned by a SMSF.

One thing you can do, is have you SMSF buy part of a property , and keep the bit you own outright in your name ( that's assuming you have a mortgage on it ).

See Change

see_change said:
You can't purchase an IP of yourself into a SMSF unless it's your place of business. Not sure about if it's in a trust but an educated guess would be that it's ok to do so .
Seech

I though that that only applied to borrowing- and that it was OK to buy a property outright?

Wazza007 said:
Howdy

Even if this could be done.. it would trigger a Capital Gains Tax event which might be costly?

I have looked at this recently since I set up my own SMSF and according to booklets I obtained from the tax office the super fund cannot purchase a property from the trustees, even with market valuations. Unless it is a commercial property and it is deemed as your business.

There is a lot of information available on the ATO website regarding this.

I did purchase two blocks of land that have the potential to be developed later. That's allowed.

see_change said:
One thing you can do, is have you SMSF buy part of a property , and keep the bit you own outright in your name ( that's assuming you have a mortgage on it ).

See Change

My understanding (which involves no self interest - so take it as it comes) was that unless a debt existed prior to the changes in 1999? a SMSF cannot own any asset that has a debt attached to it (whether the debt is in the funds name or not).

Anyone wanna read the legislation again?

Dragons said:
I have looked at this recently since I set up my own SMSF and according to booklets I obtained from the tax office the super fund cannot purchase a property from the trustees, even with market valuations. Unless it is a commercial property and it is deemed as your business.
Can a trustee give or gift a property to their SMSF?

Back