So I bought this old stove...

I knew it was probably a dopey thing to do.

But it was green!

And it had a control panel like the dashboard of a 50s car.

And I've got just the spot for it.

And it was green!

I knew some of the elements wouldn't be working and the dress rims were rusted and the oven door didn't close snugly.

But it was green.

Got it home and connected it up and confirmed my fears and then I went looking for a stove repair bloke - an old retired one ideally.

I found Ray. Spoke to him on the phone and I described the stove. 'That would be a series B probably 1955', said Ray.

Ray had worked for St George for 37 years I think. He showed up at my door wearing his old St George shirt and St George jacket and carry a wooden box with tools.

Ray fixed the oven door - he had some original hinges in his van. He got the oven light working and the power point on the control panel and reckons he's got bits for the clock at home. He stripped the elements and rims so I can clean it all and found some brand new - still in their boxes - replacement elements and dress rims.

He'll be back next week to put it all back together. On the way out, I said: 'What do I owe for today, Ray?' He said, 'Don't give me any money now - I might not come back to put it all back together.'

Ray is a bit of a hoarder - collects marbles, axes, saws, and clearly stove parts for 1950s ovens. I like meeting people like Ray. They have such a depth of knowledge on really obscure things.

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 369
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 345
He'll be back next week to put it all back together. On the way out, I said: 'What do I owe for today, Ray?' He said, 'Don't give me any money now - I might not come back to put it all back together.'

Ray is a bit of a hoarder - collects marbles, axes, saws, and clearly stove parts for 1950s ovens. I like meeting people like Ray. They have such a depth of knowledge on really obscure things.
If you were to go too the antique auctions you would see the place filled with "Rays"down the back in old clothes waiting for the pallet of old Australin relics to come up,it's a pity todays Rays dont share that old Australian mindset before mobiles and the internet ..

My husband was a "Ray". I now have 3 sheds full of the bits that "might come in handy one day."

Since he died 7 years ago and I have been endeavouring to do repairs its amazing how many times I go and rummage through the bits and find exactly what I need :)

Thanks Scott...just love that stove and the fact thats its green

Chris

Excellent story Scott.

I bet Ray didn't stand there in his suit and tie and say....

"Nah, look, it'd be far cheaper to just chuck it out and go and buy a new one."

Once it's fixed, I bet it lasts 5 times as long as a new one.

By the time Ray finishes with it I reckon it should be good for another 50 years. I'll make special mention of the green stove in my will.

I've met a few Rays when I've had projects that needed some old time expertise - I had a couple of old timber boats some years ago and there are lots of Rays in the timber boat world.

As soon as I saw Ray, I knew what I needed to do. I knew I had to forget whatever else I had planned and that I had to hang around with Ray and chat. It's good when life slows down sometimes.

They're rare, these people, with knowledge and intuition that few people have any more. Pity it's not possible to plug them in and download everything.

He collects padlocks, too. I forgot that one. Last night I dug out a big old padlock I got in India a couple of years ago. He'll tell me all about it when he's over next.

Chris, I'm building an extension to my shed in spring to accomodate an increasing amount of stuff. I don't have any particular expertise, but there is a space on one of the benches for the household to put things that need to be fixed and if I can fix them, I do.

If it was a 'mid 50s B series Constellation' - or similar - he'd be there with bells on. He would just do this as a hobby and for a bit of pocket money. He would have no insurance or anything like that.

sorry to be off topic, but Chrispy, I cant believe its 7 years since your husband died.

it doesnt seem anywhere near that long..... glad you've still got lots of good memories, and memorabilia to remind yourself of him!

Thanks Penny...yes it was March 2005..and still Voltaren is freely available...but at least I got a warning put on the pack :)

I have 3 sheds of Alan's "Just in case" bits and pieces. Some of my friends call in when they need an old hinge, an odd nail or bolt...a small bit of special timber...etc., and rummage through and always find something that will just do the job.

So much has happened in that 7 and a half years. I still miss Alan but I have learnt to live with it.

Chris

Sounds a bit like my Dad.

It has been 13 years since he died and I am still using things he collected "just in case"

When you think that my brother took half as well Dad sure had a lot of stuff !

I've got two nephews who will be like Ray. They're both in their early 20s and have a wide eyed enthusiasm for all things mechanical. They grew up in their dad's workshop - he's a Volkswagen nut. The boys know nothing about computers - unless they control an engine. They have an intuition that I'm sure can't be taught and nothing phases them. Motorbike, car, boat engines, they'll tackle anything - and they'll do it without a manual.

The green stove is now spick and span and ready for Ray to come back and reassemble. Then I have to get it upstairs - those old stoves weigh a ton. I'm now on the lookout for another one to strip for spares. The odd white one shows up on eBay.

Speaking of getting it up the stairs. A friend told me today she had the choice of paying $135 just as a call out fee to get a repairman to look at her ten year old clothes dryer. Repairs would be on top of that. They decided to buy a new one for $300 or so.

They paid to have it delivered, but could not find a store that would install it, even for a fee. They had to organise an installer. Callout fee was $130 or thereabouts.

The delivery guys would not even bring it up their stairs. They only have about six stairs and straight into the laundry, but they would take it no further than the bottom of the stairs.

How on earth do people get on who have no way of getting things done by husbands, friends or neighbours?

Our electrician is Ray and by far the best and the most accommodating tradie we have found in our short journey of 2.5 years so far!

Back