So I bought this old stove...

Had Ray back yesterday. I took the day off to do a few things and got him to come over and put the green stove back together.

So Ray put the three complete elements and dress rims in the stove top. All of them came out of the box they would have been put in about 60 years ago.

Ray had a new powerpoint to replace the one on the control panel that doesn't work.

And he had a brand new clock because he noticed mine didn't work.

He didn't think my cleaning job on the glass panel that protects the oven light was very good, but luckily he had a brand new one.

And new oven door hinges.

He probably spent 5 hours at my place over two visits.

Total cost for parts and labour $400.

Now I just have to get the thing upstairs.

I'll photograph it when it's in position.

He also brought one of his padlocks to show me. It was recent acquisition. I asked him how many he had and he said he stopped counting at 100. And that's just one of his collections. I asked where he kept it all and he said, 'a lot of it's in the house'. I asked him whether there was much pressure on him from the missus to reduce the size or number of the collections and he said there had been a bit of pressure lately because, 'she wants more space for her stuff. But it's just dolls and things. Nothing interesting.'

I think I'll have to pay Ray a visit some time.

Yeah, I would cook on it.

And in it.

But it's in a spare kitchen, so I won't get the chance often.

The oven heats up quicker than either of the other two ovens we have.

The top elements and drip trays are all brand new and they have a greater heat range than the 10 year old oven it replaced.

And the whole thing has been stripped down and cleaned - I even had it upside down at one stage so I could clean underneath.

So it's as clean as a brand new oven and works better than many modern ovens.

And it's green.

I am currently in Texas and have noticed on the cooking shows they now have the old fashioned round shaped fridges mainly in blue!!!!

So you are right up there with the latest fashion Scott!!! or maybe you started it again.....:D

Chris

Just went bought old house that was kept immaculate by the elderly lady. In this kitchen is one of those ovens. Looks brand new! Is four hotplate top though. Apparently still works great.

I love that its green! It looks like a very cool cooker.

My dad was one of those "just in case" tinkerers and he always had a project on the go. I suspect mum was quite happy that he was occupied in the shed rather than at the pub or TAB.

I had a couple of roofers over last week. The high roof needed some work and I'm not game to get up there anymore.
One of the roofers was a huge bloke.
I made them a coffee mid morning and I had some biscuits from the Greek cake shop up the road.
We sat in the sun and had a chat and they were very appreciate.
Before the moment passed, I said to the big bloke, 'Hey, I've got a good idea...'

So the green stove made its way upstairs that day.

Here it is in its spiritual home:

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Stove 2.jpg
    Stove 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 77
That will be its home forever, Chris.

A bloke moved into the space late yesterday - he's visiting Sydney for a week.

The stove was the first thing he commented on.

Back