So I upset one of the neighbours of the new flat

I was there on Monday night doing some flooring. Richard was giving me a hand. There wasn't much noise, but it was about 8.30pm.

There was a knock at the door.

On the doorstep was a woman, late 30s, a bit tense.

'It's really noisy', she said.

I apologised and said I hadn't realised it was that noisy but I would stop immediately.

She said, 'Because the local council by-laws say this stuff can't happen at night'

I said, 'Yep, sorry. I've stopped.'

Then she said, 'I don't want to have to get the strata manager involved.'

I said, 'I'm not sure what more I can do apart from apologise and stop the noise immediately.'

She turned and went downstairs.

So the next morning, I left a bottle of wine on the doorstep of the flat below mine with a note apologising (again) for the noise and leaving my mobile number.

Later that day, I got a text:

'Hi Scott, this is Shi from the apartment below. Thank you for the wine. It was very thoughtful of you and no, the banging didn't bother me! Cheers, Shi.'

Wrong flat.

Goodness knows which flat the complainer lives in, but it's not the one that would have copped the noise. But as my wife Lisa said, 'Well, it's all even anyway - you've got one person who doesn't like you, and one who thinks you?re great.'

That was thoughtful. :)

Maybe a bottle of wine for the other flats surrounding you as well? $50 would make life a little better in the larger scheme of things if this was PPOR.

But then again, it doesn't sound like she's the type that you would get on with either way :p

So she went downstairs but she is not the one living below your apartment. Are you sure she exists?

The flat is on the third floor. If it's not the person immediately below, there are three other people it could be. I'm curious to know where she lives.

Great story.

When we renovated our unit the guy underneath got a morning delivery of a cream bun and coffee from the local bakery where I picked up our breakfast.

Worked like a treat and allowed up to finish the whole reno in 4 days.

Nah, just had my mind in the gutter for a sec.

Scotty is a great bloke and his offer of a bottle of wine and apology to (who he thought was) the offended resident is testament to that. ;)

Lol after reading that message again I can see how so easily it could be misinterpreted. If I didn't know the story as her husband I'd be paying you a visit to find out what exactly you were banging!

Lol... what exactly did you write to her?

"I'm sorry, I hope the banging last night was not too hard"?

Back