So what did you sacrifice?

First house concrete floors, no dinners out, 1 kid and second whilst we lived there.barely any money to keep cars on the road, and you needed a car we lived in the outer suburbs of Sydney.

Always had a budget, moved houses a couple of times still outer suburbs, bigger house, different areas, sent kids to private schools in high school not exclusive ones, but still had to budget money.

Having a young family, holidays revolved around their sports. They were mainly domestic and drove to save money. Rarely ate out or takeaway, cost too much.

Life is very different now, savings are easier and we have been able to help our children, who are now all adults. We were frugal but always had a good time with what we had.

We have two cars one being a beat up 15 year old wagon. This morning my son had the option of either being driven to school in said wagon or walk in the rain .

Loved his response.

"Take the car. Who cares what people think. We have several houses and they only have one."

He is only 9.

Last edited:
Always had a budget, moved houses a couple of times still outer suburbs, bigger house, different areas, sent kids to private schools in high school not exclusive ones, but still had to budget money.

Life is very different now, savings are easier and we have been able to help our children, who are now all adults. We were frugal but always had a good time with what we had.

It sounds like you sacrificed to send your children to private schools. Can you tell us if it worked out and if you would do the same again? You mention you help them now as adults (I guess all parents would do that if they could), because you can or because they need it? Or a bit of both? ;)

I will not use the word "Sacrifice" but replace it with "Change of life style"

Most of you mention buying a 2nd hand car with cash as sacrifice but I totally disagree, this is more like being more financially savvy and being less superficial/ more mature, because the truth is brand new cars are heavily depreciable goods, the more expensive the car, the more it depreciates, however people got stuck in the materialistic/ superficial world of "driving a brand new car" as some sort of higher social status, which really, no one cares except your own ego.

And just because cannot travel internationally doesn't mean you can't have fun and live a happy life. Spend within your means.

I do however, have to "Sacrifice" of not being able to spend huge amount of money for our wedding and need to buy a cheap as chips engagement ring for my girlfriend because all my money are locked in properties and I do not see the point of spending **** loads of money for a show (wedding ceremony) when I can better use those money/ equities to build further wealth, however I did promised my girlfriend that in the future when we are in a better financial situation I will make it up for her and organize something big and buy her a fancy diamond ring. Gratefully she is not the type of girl that demand fancy materials even when her friends are materialistic. :D

Once again, I see this as a different life style by not getting myself in bad debt just to keep up with the materialist world and I'm very proud of it, also I believe that happiness should be from hanging with the people you like and feel comfortable with rather than seeking for jealousy from other people when in reality you don't have that kind of power.

What a great thread. I can't help but feel negatively towards myself after reading.. As I'm nearing completion of my PPOR renovation project I have lashed out and bought numerous luxury (?) items including a 60" LED TV, large stainless french door fridge, 7kw samsung inverter split system + a few other items (none of which were brand new - all gumtree/ebay for well below RRP).

I justify the purchases as a gift to myself for completing renovation goals within a set budget ;)

At the same time I drive around in an 02' Mazda 323 which is my "girlfriends car" and haven't been overseas or even on a holiday for some time so feel its ok to spoil yourself sometimes! That and I don't have any children....

After reading this thread I think I'm going to set myself a few goals with saving money and spending only on items that I NEED..

Originally Posted by sumterrence View Post
...however I did promised my girlfriend that in the future when we are in a better financial situation I will make it up for her and organize something big and buy her a fancy diamond ring...
Please.do.not.do.it.

No designer ware and BB is ok.....but no flying to Europe, not going interstate and not eating out much.......SACRE BLEU... C'EST MERDE!!

I also chose to not go to Europe, and not fly interstate every year, and not eat out very much, and not buy designer gear, and not watch Big Brother. (Some choices were easier than others! ;))

Engagement rings

My engagement ring was purchased on the night we settled on our first home in 1980. The price of the house was $228oo. The $800 on the end was very important in those days! After paying the $2280 deposit from my holiday fund and a further $2000 in fees and charges such as legals, stamp duty and LMI, we had about $100 left over. A really cheap and tacky jeweller in the city had really microscopic rings for $99.

About 10 years later an antique dealer who knew us well sent a 0.3 carat ring home for my perusal. I tried it on and o gosh, I couldn't get it off again. He charged Mark his cost price, about $250 I think and I got it certified at around $1500 replacement value.

No designer ware and BB is ok.....but no flying to Europe, not going interstate and not eating out much.......SACRE BLEU... C'EST MERDE!!

Haha - Europe will come...I have no intention of dragging my 3 kids along with me! ;)

I love eating out, but cutting back is fine when you have a husband that cooks like mine does - we tend to go out somewhere really nice a couple of times a year and eat in the rest of the time. It just got too disappointing paying for food that was significantly worse than what James cooks at home!

We had a perfect meal out last Saturday, it was our first time eating out together in 6 months and it was amazing. Worth every penny.

Back