Social Atlas

Though I would share this tool I have been using this for researching a particular town prior to visiting. It’s been particularly useful for comparing different parts of the town (in my case Tamworth) into ‘good’ and ‘bad’ for investing purposes.

Will be visiting the area this weekend so will see how all the info stacks up.

Not all areas are represented but quite a few across Australia based on local government areas.

http://atlas.id.com.au/

.id has delivered social atlases to councils across Australia and New Zealand. These are delivered in public websites, branded atlas.id, for anyone to access. Click on the link below to access Census data in its most compelling form – as a series of thematic maps that show how particular population groups (elderly, youth, disadvantaged, students, public transport users etc) are distributed across your selected area. There are over 90 maps for each area.

Thanks BMW,
Thats a very interesting site, it will keep me occupied for hours :)

yeah quite surprised that this information is freely available to the public down to that level.
Had a great time comparing incomes, mortgage rates and best of all social housing, rentals and home occupiers.

Often paid for by Councils or other local government bodies - another one to check out is the local Regional Development Australia website (Tamworth is Northern Inland) - they tend to have a lot of specifics on an area (they're given/awarded grants to put together reports on various Socio Economic factors within regions).

Back