Sofas

Just curious as to what kind of sofas somersoft forum members would buy?
If any - ikea? king furniture, ozfurniture, milandirect, space furniture, matt blatt etc?

Hey Melbournian,

You ever had to buy a desk/office chair for your home office/study?

If so, then you'll know from experience that what looks good doesn't always equate to comfort. It's no different when buying a sofa, just think of it as an extension of the office chair. If the price feels good on your sense of "fairness" and the seat feels good on your tooshie (sp?), then go for it boy!! :cool:

Well - yes i get you what you mean - I just wanted to see whether investors would purchase high end as oppose to lower end sofa coz say King furniture sofa (5,000) as opposed to Ikea Sofa (1800) coz when it comes down to the crunch to sell.. sofas makes a difference in presentation. just trying to understand the mindset of an australian investor.

ikea is a bit hot & miss with quality but has some good design-on-a-budget options. Most of the big names - including King - are made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I will always go Jardan. I assume we're talking PPOR here, BTW? Jardan is designed & made in Melbourne, exports to many countries around the world and is brilliant quality. V. popular with high-end interior designers & architects. i would rather pay for something I love that I know will last 15-20 yrs. Jardan does not sell direct but through retailers such as hermon+hermon. But go to their showroom in Mt Waverley to view all the styles & fabrics - it's mind boggling.

Doh! Just saw yr post re: investment. if you are selling fully furnished then perhaps a bit much, However, I am a bit of a stickler for furniture and cheap furniture can really look cheap. If you are staging a property to sell, buy a couple of cool high-end items that you can use to stage multiple properties, claim the costs, and 'store' in yr loungeroom between sales. ;-)

Well - yes i get you what you mean - I just wanted to see whether investors would purchase high end as oppose to lower end sofa coz say King furniture sofa (5,000) as opposed to Ikea Sofa (1800) coz when it comes down to the crunch to sell.. sofas makes a difference in presentation. just trying to understand the mindset of an australian investor.
Presentation to impress? Not sure I understand who you're wanting to appeal to.

No point buying a sofa that looks good today, but that will collapse (sag in the middle) a few months down the track because you compromised quality to save a few extra $$$

I don't believe a King sofa at 5,000 will withstand any extra weight than say the Ikea sofa at 1,800 if the two are comparable in build quality.

Bottom line (no pun intended btw :eek:) do your homework, check out a few different types, and when you find the one that FEELS good, NEGOTIATE DOWN hard!

Pretend you're buying a property!!!! ;) :D

Oops sorry Melbourian, just re-read your post.

I get it, you're buying to sell, so to make a good impression ie. for presentation which to buy?

Okay, different take....

Buy cheap, but NOT TOO CHEAP because (as Miss Jade said) cheap can look cheap. Go middle of the road, and opt for something like Adriatic...you know...the furniture rich people don't want you to have / know about! :D

ikea is a bit hot & miss with quality but has some good design-on-a-budget options. Most of the big names - including King - are made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I will always go Jardan. I assume we're talking PPOR here, BTW? Jardan is designed & made in Melbourne, exports to many countries around the world and is brilliant quality. V. popular with high-end interior designers & architects. i would rather pay for something I love that I know will last 15-20 yrs. Jardan does not sell direct but through retailers such as hermon+hermon. But go to their showroom in Mt Waverley to view all the styles & fabrics - it's mind boggling.

How much is the average sofa? hmm will go down to hermon and hermon.

Adriatic - the furniture rich people don't want you to have!
http://www.adriatic.com.au/

Their prices and the quality are IMO quite reasonable. I purchased a gorgeous italian leather lounge 5 years ago and it's still in perfect condition even though it's taken a beating from kids (mine and that of visitors) the whole time.

I am sitting on an L-shape black leather lounge from Plush.

Seems to be excellent quality so far, very comfy and was on sale for $1700 down from about $2600, which in my mind was excellent value.

I bought King they are guaranteed for 15 years, steel framed. Mine cost $24,000 for two rooms, black leather Jasper model with timber arms. They look very upmarket.

I had looked at many sofas, I took years to decide and am very happy with my choice, although they are very large.

It comes down to individual choice, when people walk in they believe I had the sofas designed and made to fit, which was the look I was after.

Chris

PICT0013.jpg

One of the sets

Chris

Back