Solar Hot Water system - good or what?

Hi all,

I am interested to hear people's opinions (+ or -) on "solar hot water systems" for a rental property (in Brisbane)?

Will it be problematic?
What about the booster? (electricity is used to heat up the solar system on a dull day etc).
Will tenants like them or hate them?

I think there's a rebate from the Qld Govt if you put one on - but not sure if I can get the rebate as IP owner. Will check it out later. The solar hot water system will be part of a new house and not an add on to an older house.

Comments anyone?

Thanks as always

(especially to those who have the achieved the title "Addicted Posters" Goodonya guys!)

Danny D.

I am also intrigued about this.

I am involved with a building project at the moment and have had some people advise against solar HWS. One chap even telling me they are a nightmare from the eighties.

I thought a solar HWS was a positive inclusion from the environmental and money saving perspective but apparently they have a bad reputation for frequent and costly repairs.

I too would love to hear peoples experiences with them.

Thanks,

Simon

Solar HWSs are widely used in many countries. In Israel for example you can hardly find a house without one. Not sure, but they are almost mandatory in some areas of Sydney in new multi-unit developments. I recently bought a unit in one of them, it has Solar Heated Gas Boosted Hot Water System. One for the whole complex (about 60 apartments). Can't tell you much about reliability at this stage, but if the question is repeated in a year or so perhaps I'll be able to comment.

Cheers,

Lotana

dwerfam,

To answer your original question I am sure tenants will love them. They will reap the energy savings without the maintenance - if any.

Cheers,

Simon

I was advised by the supplier that unless someone is going to climb on the roof and clean the panels at least once a year then after a couple of years they lose their heating efficiency.

If you live in a dusty area eg. pollution or near the sea then after a 3-4 years you would have to replace the panels to maintain heating efficiency.

The panels are very expensive, $2k plus.

There is another panel type heater called a quantum heater, it is fairly new on the market. Works on the same principal as fridge, draws heat from the air even if there is no sun. Might be OK but does not have a history of performance yet so we will have to wait and see.

The tenants would like it as it reduces their power bill but you would need to increase your rent to pay for maintenance of the panels.

I forgot to add that I have a solar HSW on my PPOR and a booster with a timer (it's a six person household!). Been in my PPOR since new (11 years ago) and a previous PPOR for 3 years in Townsville, and so far (touch wood?) had no expenses/problems with the solar(hart) system to date. (Maybe the booster is doing all the work or it is Qld's long hours of sunshine?). My electricty account is around $100+ per month (for six persons and swimming pool, dishwasher, water bed etc).

Had not thought of getting up on the roof to clean the panels, but will the rain do this?

It just that Tamawood Homes (in Qld) supply a solar HSW as part of a new house package and it comes with a 5 year warranty. So the 1st 5 yrs might be OK, but if the tenants don't stuff it up (how could they?), then it may seem no different to a normal HSW......hummmm

Danny D.

I'm nearly 21 and I'm in my 2nd 'ppor' since I turned 3. Both of these houses had solar hot water heating. The one on the first house had to be repaired once. I've been in my current place nearly 5 years and it still works fine.

I think most of them have a 12 year guarantee or something similar, and the savings to gas / electricity are probably worth the extra cost of buying / repairing.

Just my 2.2c (inc gst)

A couple of mates parents had a solar system on their roof and every now and then they would have to run outside and kick the booster pump to get it going....most annoying just after you strip off and get a little wet on a cold winter morning in Melbourne....

It was an old system thou, so more modern ones might be better built, but i doubt it as most products i see these days are built to a price not to a quality.....

cheers
watto

My Mother has had a solar hot water system on her roof for over 20 years with no problems, until last year when she had to replace the panels which would have cost around $2000. I think she also got a rebate at the time so was cheaper. My parents never cleaned the panels and didn't know they were supposed to until they were told this time around.

Personally I think Simon hit the nail on the head:

Tenants will love them because you've reduced their energy bill.

But since they will cost substantially more than a gas or electric HWS, in what way will you recoup your cost?

I don't know if a tenant is necessarily far-sighted enough to realise the extra $5-10/week you might ask in rent will offset their energy bills?

I agree w/ Kev

Its a great feature for your PPOR but I cant see how you can recover the extra $$$ in an IP situation

XBenX

Here's two (or for some possibly three) ways of paying for it:
  1. Depreciation
  2. Charge tenants for their right to save money in your environmentally responsible dwelling :D
  3. In those areas where it is available - Govt rebate
    [/list=1]

Environmental efficiency can well be used in marketing to attract tenants. Also it will quite likely have an increasing role as time goes on.

good idea spot

yet depn is as the same rate as a normal water heater

i cant see tenants paying extra $$$ for it (in the markets im active in anyhow)

just like any reno/addition/inclusion you need to evaluate it for your market (i should have clarified that in my previous post)

Hi all,

Our last PPOR was a lovely 3 bed cottage on 25 acres.

We had solar hot water, with combustion stove/heater backup in winter, and electricity in summer. We had a switch which we had to turn on for the electricity - hence not automatic – which we were switching on very regularly to allow us hot water at night. (We even had a sign on our microwave to remind us to switch off before we went to bed).

From this I can only assume that the ones which are automatic actually switch over quiet a bit, and thereby wouldn't save much electricity.

In the winter though we had plenty of hot water, this was due to the wetback combustion heater though.

Just one extra - I only used our spa bath (internal) in winter as this was the only time I could get enough hot water.

Cathie

I've had SHW system on my PPOR for the last 5 years and had no trouble at all with it.

I get shivers down my spine when we get severe hail though. I ask my friendly neighbour to keep an eye on the panels since their house is higher than mine and they have a good view over my SHW installation.

The manufacturer claims that they have tested the panels with hailstones the size of golf balls. They can handle that without problems.

So far it survived very well.

I"ve not noticed any degradation of performance over the years and never heard about needing to clean the panels.

I switch off the booster in December and don't turn it on until about March when the nights get cooler and there is too much heat loss over night. I don't like cold showers in the morning. But if you only shower at night, then unless it is an overcast day or two, the booster is not necessary. At least this is how it works here in Qld.

I'm happy with it and would install solar hotwater system again.

Makes me feel really good while taking a hot shower knowing that this heat was totally and freely provided by the sun. :cool:

Desto

Sorry for the late reply (probably too late fordwyerfam, but here goes.

I've just been to a block which has been refurbished extensively by the owner.

Solar hot water has been put in,so, as a result of this thread, I was interested in asking him about the benefits.

The hot water units were due for replacement anyway (I've just had one done for a 1BR unit, $500 plus installation).

There is a grant available (not sure where from) which covers a part of installation costs.

Cost was $2700 after grant ($3500 before).

That did not include installation- the owner installed everything himself. (He is a consulatant, not a plumber).

One solar unit services (I think) three units.

He charges tenants an estimated fee for hot water. He will have to wait until the end of the year to know if this was economical,

But he has a vision of an ecologically sustainable whole. He has a long term vision of something sustainable ecoligically.

>But he has a vision of an ecologically sustainable whole. He has a long term vision of something sustainable ecoligically.

I love hearing about people putting their money where their mouth is. Congratulate your friend for me.

TheBacon

Back