Solar Power & charging tenant

Hi Everyone

I was wondering how solar electricity is charged to the tenant when the landlord wants to keep it in their name so they can keep the 44c rebate.

1/ Can the owner charge the tenant for electricity and keep the rebate amount for themselves?

2/ Does the owner have to pay to have the electricity meter read on vacate? I assume so I don't think you could work out the electricity reading yourself.

3/ Can the owner charge of service or are they only allowed to charge for electricity like with water?

My understanding (could be completely wrong) is that if we decided to rent out our house, once the power is put into a tenant's name, we lose the tariff that was agreed to.

Before you go any further, you need to ask this.

Anyone ever inquired if you can you do split metering (ie. granny flat style) and have the solar credit on an account in your name and the electricity usage on an account in the tenants name?

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Wylie, yeah thats definately what happens. The rebate amount jumps back to 8c. So if as an owner you wanted to move back in its best to leave it in your name. Then its confusing from there as nothing legally says how to handle it. The RTA only say you can only as a landlord charge for the electricity and not associated costs. So if you have to pay to read the meter, and pay to maintain the system, then solar on an investment property begins to look like a bad idea.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources...lar-Bonus-Scheme-changes-could-affect-lessors

Hi Everyone

I was wondering how solar electricity is charged to the tenant when the landlord wants to keep it in their name so they can keep the 44c rebate.

1/ Can the owner charge the tenant for electricity and keep the rebate amount for themselves?

Are you an electricity retailer? Then unless the law provides that you can on-sell electricity (which does happen in some states), then wow!! 44c

You may consider offering the property with electricity usage to be charged back to the tenant as a condition of the lease, however you would have to pass on the benefit of any credit.

2/ Does the owner have to pay to have the electricity meter read on vacate? I assume so I don't think you could work out the electricity reading yourself.

if the power is in your name, why would there be a need to read on vacating the property? The supplier will simply cut off your power.

3/ Can the owner charge of service or are they only allowed to charge for electricity like with water?

Is there a supply charge separate from usage? Again, refer to any resaler legislation for electricity.

Hi Scott, question 2 was regards to solar if it is in the owners name and the tenant vacates, it would need to be professionally read, QLD legislation means that the landlord has to pay for this not the tenant. Another landlord cost.

Anyone can read a meter (if the meter reader can't read your meter for any reason, you can send in the numbers). Does professionally read mean you have to wear a shirt and tie?

Meet with the tenant, read the numbers & take a dated/time photo - provide a copy to the tenant & a copy of the last reading.

If you don't do it the PM can.

Back