Solar power on rental

I'm considering putting solar power on my rental property in victoria.

What I want to do is setup the power bill in my name, collect the solar electricity generation, and charge the tenant for the power they use.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?

ie power bill shows the power they use, I pass this charge onto tenant..

I'm considering putting solar power on my rental property in victoria.

What I want to do is setup the power bill in my name, collect the solar electricity generation, and charge the tenant for the power they use.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?

ie power bill shows the power they use, I pass this charge onto tenant..

Usually electricity usage is paid by tenants and connection is set up in their names. I do not see any problems if you set up in your name and set out in the rental lease before letting out that you keep the solar credits and tenants to reimburse landlord for electricity usage. Electricity reimbursement should also be stipulated to have the same status as rent so that any arrears can be pursued like rent.

Does not seem to be a problem in the ACT, not sure about VIC. However, your PM, if you have one should have already come across this problem and should be able to give you some options. Alternatively, ask the solar system supplier in VIC or the electricity supplier. Some of them are helpful and would have come across this situation with other customers.

I assume you are working off the theory of solar generating money via the feed in tariff, while this sounds good if it is you with a positive view on changing your behaviour to maximise export, what incentive is there for a tenant to minimize any form of consumption if you are paying the bill ? e.g. air-con running all summer or heater all winter.

Also while in other states its different its only available on PPOR Vic.

yeh thats what I'm thinking.. they could use power during the day and use up all the export power, hence I would not get paid anything.

The meter will not show what is generated and used internally.

Might be better to give it a pass.. the agent also said it can muck up concession entitlements for the tenant, leaving the tenant at a disadvantage.

Back