Solicitor charge 200+ bucks for council to prove no exiting order for property to buy

My solicitor for IP is good. Recently he starts charging additional item :'Orders and Notices Certificate' for $197 + GST.

He said it is for the council to issue certificate regarding whether on their record there is any orders or notices against the owner or the property for any breach of law.

My understanding is I can call council myself to verify whether there is any order. Is there any importance to issue such a certificate?

Thank you in advance.

My solicitor for IP is good. Recently he starts charging additional item :'Orders and Notices Certificate' for $197 + GST.

He said it is for the council to issue certificate regarding whether on their record there is any orders or notices against the owner or the property for any breach of law.

My understanding is I can call council myself to verify whether there is any order. Is there any importance to issue such a certificate?

Thank you in advance.

Probably that fee is the Council charge, check if the council charges GST. Seems a very prudent thing to do.

Thank you in advance.

Councils don't like giving oral advice. The certificate protects you if they stuff up and get it wrong

So you call up.

Council Gumby #1: No theres nothing on title
Council Gumby #2: Yes there's an encumbrance on title

Have had it happen multiple times, council info is only as good as the person on the phone

Thank you for the help. I did call council today. The lady said no any order. She even mentioned the latest record is 1994, some garage built on 1964 etc..

I prefer trusting her.

Tell me if I am dumb.

BTW:She did mention I can buy the certificate with $250. More expensive than solicitor's charge. Have to love my solicitor.

So you call up.

Council Gumby #1: No theres nothing on title
Council Gumby #2: Yes there's an encumbrance on title

Have had it happen multiple times, council info is only as good as the person on the phone

Thank you for the help. I did call council today. The lady said no any order. She even mentioned the latest record is 1994, some garage built on 1964 etc..

I prefer trusting her.

Tell me if I am dumb.

BTW:She did mention I can buy the certificate with $250. More expensive than solicitor's charge. Have to love my solicitor.

if it is not an official certificate/ search result it is not worth anything.

Back