Some advise on units purchase in NSW

I'd just write in the offer "I offer $5K more than the highest offer you get in these envelopes". See if they like them apples ;)

If you don't like the number that comes back to you - just don't proceed to sign a contract.

Anyway the point is moot now. I hope you got to see your daughter :)

You and I think alike:p

Units need a bit of cosmetic work and some minor structural work in the near future.(Wont stop them from being rented out)

I was willing to pay more than the other highest offer anyway.
I just put an extra 3% on top of their price just for good measure.
21 Days settlement no conditions contract.
If that doesn't reel them in I don't know what else will:D

Visit with daughter went well thanks Alan:eek:

Just got word from RE today about my offer on the units.
Apparently my offer and terms were exactly the same as another potential buyer.

This means now that now only two of us has a chance to resubmit another higher offer to secure the property.

Will know more on Wednesday when the owner views the offers.:eek:

I don't know if I like this southern way of doing business:(

Sounds a bit suss!! Hope it all goes well though =) Looking forward to hearing what happens!

I also thought that,
I even rang the REA and confronted her.
She insisted that everything was above board.

The only person who knew my terms was the secretary in her office.
I politely told the REA that I would not like her secretary to be involved in my next offer.:eek:
Damn this is gonna cost me thousands extra :mad:

Any chance you could get her to "prove it" by showing you a copy of the other contract? Although if she really WAS dodgy, she'd could fake one! :eek:

She said she had the envelopes initialed by a solicitor ?

I do believe her,I also believe the only way this could happen is if the secretary gave away my settlement terms to another party,not the actual price (Which she didn't know anyway),just the terms.
Damage done,
Shake the dust off and get on with it;)

This is a great story, cant wait to hear the outcome. It reminds me of Jan Somers' book story by story.

You must have a hell of a deposit going in as well which helps ya (i.e. you do know lenders likely wont be going to 90% etc on them...)

Just an update,

Vendor viewed both offers,

Both unsuccessful at this time as they are identical.

Please submit another offer and terms by Friday 3pm,

I have just written out my final offer and will submit it Friday,

If they take it,that's good if not too bad :(

Start looking for the next one,this time in Queensland.

I have just been reading about gazumping :mad:

For people like me here is a link explaining it.

http://www.ownyourfirsthome.com.au/After-your-offer-is-accepted

I have just been reading about gazumping :mad:

Gazumping is nothing to get too excited about - there are ways to avoid this happening. I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll repost here for your edification ;).

There are 2 ways to purchase property in NSW (excluding auctions, which are pretty much the same everywhere):
Way 1
1. Sign a contract in the REA's office & pay 0.25% deposit. 5 business day cooling off period begins.
2. Do pest, building, finance approval within 5 days. Seek, but don't necessarily gain, an extension of time if there are hold ups getting this done (quite common at the moment).
3. All good? do nothing - day 6, pay up the balance of 10% i.e. 9.75% and contracts are formally exchanged by default
4. All not good? i.e. termites found and you want to pull out. Rescind the contract and forfeit the 0.25% deposit to the vendor
5. If contract not rescinded, then settlement in 42 days later (typically)

Way 2
1. Make a written or verbal offer. Written offer has clause such as "finance approval, building and pest, settlement period", verbal the same.
2. If the vendor accepts the offer (written or verbal), finance approval, building and pest inspections are initiated
3. Vendor's solicitor issues contract to your (purchaser's solicitor)
4. All good? Sign contracts, pay 10% deposit. NO cooling off period applies. You sign a 66W form along with your solicitor, that you acknowledge that no cooling off period applies.
5. Contracts are exchanged
6. Settlement in 42 days later (typically)

Only under Way 2 are you open to being gazumped. This can happen at any point up until points 4. & 5. i.e. the other purchaser could buy the property before contracts are exchanged and you would miss out.

So its not all bad here :p

Only under Way 2 are you open to being gazumped. This can happen at any point up until points 4. & 5. i.e. the other purchaser could buy the property before contracts are exchanged and you would miss out.

So its not all bad here :p

That all sounds good when you write it down,
However I have found out who my opposition is (As you do :D)

Another problem is the property is way under market (Will post details when all settled)
There is plenty of time and room for gazumping,
The opposition is local and into real estate, meanwhile I am not local and new to the NSW method :(

To be truthful I live my life to the max,

I will do everything in my power to make something happen,
If it doesn't happen through no fault of my own,so be it.
I move on knowing I did my best. ;)

Update,
Envelopes were opened in the solicitors office,

I have the highest offer by $10,000 ;)

Now just to wait for the contract to arrive, :p

Well done congrats

I remember in a previous post you claimed to be 'just a painter' which I believed right up until :)..... well you know

anyway one day I hope to be 'just a painter' :p as well

stuart

Which one has the most benefit?:confused:

A caveat will protect your interests in relation to getting clear title on settlement only. The Title insurance will do this, plus some other stuff - read the PDS ;)

I had a solicitor tell me recently that Title Insurance is not an excuse for sloppy conveyancing :p Make if that what you will.

A caveat will protect your interests in relation to getting clear title on st=ettlement only. The Title insurance will do this, plus some other stuff - read the PDS ;)

Thanks for clearing that up,seems the Title insurance is the best option.
The vendor in my case is the NSW Government,so I hope not to have much trouble there ;)

The vendor in my case is the NSW Government

If that is the case, I'm almost willing to stick my neck out and say that slapping a caveat on to give you security of title on settlement is a waste of time (who is going to do what was done in the Black v Garnock case to the NSW govt.?) OK, there are plenty of people who would like to do that. :D but who would?:confused:

Title insurance generally would provide you with:
# illegal building works / structures
# mortgage or title fraud after settlement
# incorrect signature of a document
# forgery, fraud, duress, incompetency, incapacity or impersonation prior to settlement
# defective registration of a document
# lack of rights of access or use of services
# breach of covenants
# survey cover for boundary issues
# encroachment by or on to the insured property
# lack of zoning certificates
# title being vested in someone other than the insured

and as such maybe worthwhile to you. ;)

Back