Some general newbie questions, and The Entrance

Hi guys. I'm a non-pro wannabe investor, with "analysis paralysis" I think the term is, or at least that is what I have heard it called on here. I've read as much as you can read about property investment on the web, and after not following through with my first attempt three or four years ago (thanks to family additions), I am considering it again.

Our goal is not to amass a big array of IPs, but most likely to stick at one, as a long term investment. I have a notion as to what we would like to do, but would greatly appreciate it if you could knock some common sense into me if I am not thinking straight. You seem like a friendly bunch so hopefully you won't hold my inexperience against me!

Firstly, I have a couple of questions which are probably pretty stupid to the seasoned investment expert.

When I speak to people I know who are into investment all I hear about is new properties and negative gearing. I get the whole depreciation thing and the tax benefits, but when I read through threads here, you guys seem willing to take on all kinds of properties, not just off the plan units that will offer higher depreciation. Should I worry too much about looking at older properties? Is it a simple equation of purchase price, rental yield and estimated capital growth? For example, in one suburb, if you had an option of a five year old unit, 1km from the beach, and a twenty five year old unit 100m from the beach, both with similar asking prices and both with similar rental yields, which is the most sensible alternative? Or is this an impossible question and depends on a whole raft of other issues too?

My second query is specific to The Entrance, which is where I'm considering buying. I have reasons for this, but I could be barking up the wrong tree. The way I see it, and from info I have read, The Entrance has taken a bit of a hammering over the last two or three years and prices seem to be roughly on a par with 2003 prices (basing that purely on graphs I have seen). I'm thinking that things can't get too much worse, there is a bit of growth returning to the area, and it might be a good time to have a look. From talking to agents and monitoring online it seems that there is a low vacancy rate in the area, and a property costing 250-270k can get a rental return of 280-300 a week. For a newer unit with a lot of depreciation this can result in a relatively low weekly outlay, I think. A unit closer to the beach costs a bit more, is generally older, and the rental return not a whole lot extra.

So, my basic question is, is there an obvious reason I am missing as to why The Entrance might not be a wise option.

Just to put the above into context, our situation is that we have a house in Sydney, mortgage 500k, worth 800k. Initially I was thinking about getting a unit in The Entrance which might be leased for a few months during the winter and then leased as a holiday apartment during the summer, when we could probably use it here and there ourselves. I realise that is asking a lot and the key to a good investment is getting a solid long term tenant, and we could end up with gaps between tenants etc etc. Also, we have heard some horror stories of holiday apts getting trashed. So, we may end up doing a normal letting, but if that was the case, and we missed out on the lucrative holiday rentals, is it worth having a property in that area as opposed to any other?

Our other notion, probably thinking more with our hearts than our heads, is that down the line it would be nice to have a property that we can use for getaways ourselves, instead of a seventh floor unit in Alexandria or Granville that we would probably hardly ever see. The Entrance seems to currently be one of the more afforable beachside suburbs within that kind of proximity to Sydney, but I have heard stories about the area being a little bit dodgy that might explain that.

Sorry I've probably waffled on a bit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I know a lot of you are very familiar with the area. Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

I bought some units in north entran ce and see it as a growth area.

As always though I like to focus on the deal not the property.

Not the greatest yields there, but if you can get something $220-240k and rent $300+pw then this may be acceptable if modern with depreciation.

I have attached a link of a video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayrkWRVMBkw

Goodluck.

Robramjet

Welcome to SS and it is good you have taken the time to read through the forum. the advantage of it that I see, there may be some similarities between certain views, however generally I like the vastly different opinions people have, some may like off the plan and target depreciation, while others like multiple units and some like subdividable blocks. I am not saying one is right or wrong but what suits me might not suit someone with a completly different target and lifestyle. Just for my 2 cents I like to completly diversify and not target 1 specific type of properties, some are 2 bed 20+ year old townhouses in great east suburb of melb, while 10 more km out there is another property that is on 650sqm that suits families and has the capacity in the future to subdivide and put 2 dwellings. Some are fantastic yielding properties while others have returned capital growth ( which creates equity to buy more). In my opinion if you buy for the sole purpose of depreciation then that is the wrong mindset, I don't consider depreciation in any of my calculations when deciding on a property, to me it is a bonus. In saying that a property I bought late last year that was built in 1967 gave me back $4700 last fin year, so people out there that say only buy new properties for this purpose are incorrect.

i can't comment on The Entrance as I do not know it too well but when I see a place that has only 1 house available for rent in a whole suburb with 3+ bedrooms on a perm basis on re.com it tells me I don't think you will have problems finding renters

Jezza

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I wasn't expecting that at 11.30 in the evening!

Nathan, watched your vid, definitely some positive viewpoints, thanks, although I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't get your tenants!!

Jezza, thanks for the words of common sense. I understand everybody has different objectives, I certainly am not planning on an early retirement living off my rentals, I'd be happy in 15 or 20 years to have my house paid off and a nice little weekender up the coast, so your comments are definitely worth keeping in mind.

Robramjet

hire my kids for a night and you too can have the opportunity to get no sleep!

I do know a lot of people that have done there nannas ($$$) doing this approach of buying a holiday house and renting it when they think they will not use it, remember if it is not available for permanent rental, people will not pay any where near the rent in winter as they will in summer yet you will want it in summer. You did mention depreciation previously so if this is something you do consider remember depreciation on works when it is available for rent and will not be taken into account so if you use it for 15 weeks of the year ( school holidays etc) then you can only claim 70% of the depreciation figure.

jezza

Jezza, all points I am aware of and have taken into consideration. The one thing that still puts me off investing is any stress we might encounter down the line, and I realise that mixing a regular letting with holiday rentals is wishful thinking and would probably lead to quite a bit of hassle.

The one thing that still puts me off investing is any stress we might encounter down the line

Having investments can be stressful. However, what you may consider to be stressful when you first start out pales into insignificance further into your investment journey. Eg. When you first start, the prospect of having a vacancy period with your investment property is a big deal. Later on, when you have a larger portfolio, having 2 or 3 empty IP's at once is not uncommon......

However, to help you manage this situation, cashflow from previous investments will be stronger, as, most likely, will be your buffers.

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
Hi robramjet,

Welcome!

From reading your initial post, my interpretation is that you stated what your goal is not: ie NOT to amass multiple IP's.

May I ask what your goal is? (Don't mean this to be rude at all, just a bit confused by what I am reading). 'Long term investment'....does that mean you want it to put money in your pocket each week or to grow in value so you can pull out any equity after a few years?

Is your goal to create wealth & financial independence for you & your family & property is the vehicle you are using? OR....do you just want a fun, place to stay on a holiday or weekend away?

The reason I ask is that your actual goal will help determine the best strategy to get there....at present your goal seems a bit unclear & therefore your strategy is a bit unfocussed too.

Regards,
M&M

Hi robramjet,

Welcome!

From reading your initial post, my interpretation is that you stated what your goal is not: ie NOT to amass multiple IP's.

May I ask what your goal is? (Don't mean this to be rude at all, just a bit confused by what I am reading). 'Long term investment'....does that mean you want it to put money in your pocket each week or to grow in value so you can pull out any equity after a few years?

Is your goal to create wealth & financial independence for you & your family & property is the vehicle you are using? OR....do you just want a fun, place to stay on a holiday or weekend away?

The reason I ask is that your actual goal will help determine the best strategy to get there....at present your goal seems a bit unclear & therefore your strategy is a bit unfocussed too.

Regards,
M&M

M&M, sorry if I sounded vague. I'll try to clarify exactly what our intentions/hopes are. This is how we currently feel, but who knows what the future might bring.

- For now at least, the plan is not to particularly gain wealth and live off rentals by developing a portfolio or anything like that, we both have careers we enjoy and have every intention of pursuing that until retirement age

- The intention is to find one long term investment property, I suppose you could call it a nest egg

- The hope is to find a property that can be rented out on a permanent basis, OR leased out as a holiday rental, OR used by us for a brief getaway whenever an opportunity arose, basically offering us a bit of choice, which is why we are looking at The Entrance

- We both earn a decent wage and could probably survive with the odd gap between tenancies.

- Based on what I have been advised, we would probably get an interest only mortgage for the full amount, and use spare cash to pay off the mortgage on our PPOR.

- In the long term, when we have our PPOR paid off we may even look at it purely as a little holiday getaway for ourselves

- I don't mind being slightly negatively geared, with the hope that over the long run the capital gain would make it worthwhile, SHOULD we ever have to sell out of necessity, or if we got a taste for it and decided to buy more another property using the equity.

- I'm thinking, cashflow wise, that we might be out of pocket around $100 a week. That would be on a property in the region of $300k. Does that sound reasonable? Or would that be considered a dud deal by you guys?

Hope that clears the mud a bit!

Hi robramjet,

Thanks for the clarification :)

May I ask, are you & your partner saving or putting heaps into super for your retirement? Is that whay you just want this one 'nest egg' as you put it?

Paying IO sounds like a good idea, but if you want it to help fund your future or as a safety net, don't you want it fully paid off by the time you retire? How will you make repayments on it when you're no longer working if you only pay the interest off?

May I also ask who gave you the advice regarding the IO loan & paying down your PPOR? Just wondering if it was a bank person or a mate or someone who has a major portfolio & knows what they're doing with structuring loans etc?

You could always set up a LOC against the IP & capitalise the interest. By this I mean using the bank's money (the LOC) to pay your IP repayments. Then you could use the rental income from the IP to help pay off your PPOR loan faster.

It's not a strategy for the faint-hearted, but if you both have well paying jobs, it may work for you. As the LOC reduces (ie as you use more of it to pay off the bank using the bank's money), hopefully your property rises in value enough that you can then increase the LOC & keep using it to pay the IP loan. This frees up more of your own money for further investing/paying off your PPOR faster etc.

The object here is to never pay the debt down, but to keep using other peoples' money (OPM ie the bank's money) to pay your debt. However many years down the track, the loan amount has been effectively 'eroded' by inflation, however your asset (the IP or PPOR) has grown in value many times over.

Have a look at Rixter's posts as I believe personally (others may disagree) he's done this effectively. I really like his strategy & it seems to fit with what I'm trying to achieve. But there are as many different strategies as there are people on here. I guess you just have to work out which one is best for you.

Good luck!

Back